Swordfish 25 Miles West of Egmaont

My wife and I were starting back in after a long weekend of fishing and were just N. of the pipeline when she spotted this swordfish meandering around on the surface. I've fished the West coast for many years and have never seen a swordfish. After trying to get some GoPro video (it didn't want to cooperate), I pitched it a large threadfin on my kingfish rod, and it swam around it, bumped it with it's bill, then swam away. Needless to say this was the highlight of our weekend.

[video]

Replies

  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 899 Officer
    Free gaff!!
  • nicklucasnicklucas Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    m10ren wrote: »
    My wife and I were starting back in after a long weekend of fishing and were just N. of the pipeline when she spotted this swordfish meandering around on the surface. I've fished the West coast for many years and have never seen a swordfish. After trying to get some GoPro video (it didn't want to cooperate), I pitched it a large threadfin on my kingfish rod, and it swam around it, bumped it with it's bill, then swam away. Needless to say this was the highlight of our weekend.

    [video]

    would he not eat anything????
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 708 Officer
    wow - awesome. never have a harpoon when you need one
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

    Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

    Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

    'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Free gaff!!

    LOL... Not me... A green sword is an angry sword....Can you imagine tail roping that fish..
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Nice sail for sure that close in this time of year
  • ericfericf Posts: 455 Deckhand
    They are sharks with bills, next time throw a whole frozen squid. Must have been super cool watching it beat up the threadfin a little though... Shaky knees!

    PS-- I've never pitched a frozen squid to a sunning swordfish before, so my suggestion is total Monday morning QB here :grin

    Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

    Team Googanator

    2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • Al_hmsAl_hms Posts: 200 Officer
    That is crazy. Who is going to apply for the harpoon permit?
  • Bottomfinder#1Bottomfinder#1 Posts: 1,021 Officer
    I saw this out in California on a long range tuna trip. We put everything in front of his face including live mackerel and squid. not a touch.
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Al_hms wrote: »
    That is crazy. Who is going to apply for the harpoon permit?


    Yeah..crazy for sure.. What a great bucket list type find way out...like coming up on a whale shark...

    I was looking at my fish rules app...Sez hook an line only so ....harpoon would most likely be illegal..
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 639 Officer
    That's an exciting surprise...nice video considering the circumstances.
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand
    swordawet wrote: »
    That's an exciting surprise...nice video considering the circumstances.

    Yes it was exciting. I used my homemade GoPole that extends to about 15', but she wouldn't turn sideways for me.
  • Fintastic.IncFintastic.Inc Posts: 251 Deckhand
    That is flat out incredible. I've been fishing this area for 20 years and this is the first one I have heard about inside of 1000 ft.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • Al_hmsAl_hms Posts: 200 Officer
    ~~Mutt~~ wrote: »
    Yeah..crazy for sure.. What a great bucket list type find way out...like coming up on a whale shark...

    I was looking at my fish rules app...Sez hook an line only so ....harpoon would most likely be illegal..

    There is a commercial harpoon fishery in the northeast, I wasn't serious...... I think
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,394 Admiral
    How come it is never that calm when I go out there? Cool sighting.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Al_hms wrote: »
    There is a commercial harpoon fishery in the northeast, I wasn't serious...... I think

    I got ya... Yeah..I had no idea if it was or wasn't...that's why I looked it up.. heck..I didn't think harpin tuna was legal until I saw Wicked Tuna on TV... Learn sumtin new all the time..
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Wow! now that's a cool sight!!!
  • Lime ThymeLime Thyme Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    That's a sailfish...
  • willy-twilly-t Posts: 48 Deckhand
    I thought the same too long and slender for a sword.. but I was not there...
  • m10renm10ren Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Lime Thyme wrote: »
    That's a sailfish...

    I'm not sure how you are able to tell from that video, but maybe you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, besides I thought a sailfish would have a sail.
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 394 Deckhand
    I was fishing out of Venice and was about 21 miles out and I also saw a sailfish. I was anchored and about 200' in front of me I saw something in the water. I couldn't believe it when its sail was out of the water and it was just swimming around. I have caught sailfish in the keys so I definitely know it was a sailfish. it hung around for a few minutes and was gone. it made me think of this thread.
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    m10ren wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you are able to tell from that video, but maybe you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, besides I thought a sailfish would have a sail.

    Seems a little hard to tell from the vid but....I think it is a sword.. While on top you can see the tip of the caudal fin going back and forth with a wake of the dorsal in front... Most swords I have seen ..the top caudal is about the same height at the dorsal... A sail dorsal usually lays flat while they swim on top...

    Seems you can see the sword dorsal very very briefly in the first underwater shot..but real good in the second underwater shot
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,312 Officer
    Off the coast of S California in the early 90s I saw one sunning and threw a live mackrel at it. Steered the boat around it a couple of times before it bit. 142 lbs and it tasted great for a long time.
  • FishingAddictFishingAddict Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Can't tell for sure if that's a sword or a sail- but if it was a swordfish it was sick. They don't like water that has much light. The only time they come out of water that's less than 400 feet deep is when it's night time. It would also be very unusual to see one in that shallow of water even when it was night.

    Cool video either way
Sign In or Register to comment.