Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

May Duck Key Trip

Me, my brother in law, and a few buddies are staying on Duck Key for a few days in the middle of May. We're coming down from GA and bringing my 20' CC (Key West 203FS). What would be the best (easiest) fishing to go after. My BIL is getting married in June and we don't really do the party thing. Just want to relax and hopefully catch some fish. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DogDocDogDoc Posts: 686 Officer
    Easiest is snapper and grunts on patch reefs in 15-30 feet of water with plenty of chum.
    Doing the same thing on the outer reef targets larger snapper, and dropping a bait to the bottom may pick up a grouper or mutton.
    Drifting or floating a live bait behind the boat while you're doing this can turn easy into exciting and frantic.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 984 Officer
    Mid- May is prime for tarpon at the bridges. Fish early and late in the dark in low light periods. Mahi will be in full force also. Watch for good sea conditions with your 20' boat. Reef fishing for yellowtail would be fun also. Go to our FAQ for info on this. Talk to the locl bait shops for more info. Big Time Bait & Tackle and the The Tackle Box.
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.
  • jm_taylorjm_taylor Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the help guys. We are going to give the tarpon a shot for sure. Is catching our own bait reasonable or would we be better of just buying mullet or crabs? Also, on the yellow tail what depth would you suggest to target? It seems everything i'm reading the mangroves are in the patch reefs @ 15-30 ft and the yellowtail in the main reef line 60-80'. Does this sound right?
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    see above
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]