Pathfinder Livewell Pumps???

I have a 2009 Pathfinder 22 and the boat originally came with 800 pumps. I have a problem when i'm running with the water sloshing around and beating up all the baits. I was thinking about putting 1100 pumps to the two 40 gallon wells in the back hoping it would keep the water level more full when running. I called the Pathfinder company and they said the wells would overflow. Has anyone tried this? Or anyone have any input on this?

Replies

• clarosaclarosa Posts: 562 Officer
    You would have to install larger(2"+) overflow drains to keep up with the extra water flow. Which requires drilling a bigger hole, hoses, and some fiberglass work. Most likely you have 1.5" overflows on the stock boat which aren't large enough to drain 1100gph which in turn will overflow the well.
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 222 Deckhand
    IMHO, you'll cause more problems then you have now. If that's your only problem you're doing well.
  • chiz32chiz32 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    IMHO, you'll cause more problems then you have now. If that's your only problem you're doing well.

It just sucks when having baits that are struggling. They're Rule pumps that are in it but i've heard a lot of people say that they suck. Saying i should just switch to a different companies 800 pumps
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,328 AG
    I put a recirc pump on my livewell that has a bubble injector, so I run both pumps when the baits are struggling.

That said, I've never had a problem with my well being full when running -- the pickup forces water into the well when running on plane and it generally overflows back over the transom. However, I have a 2001 Pathfinder 22 -- perhaps it's set up differently than your 2009.

I've always run Rule pumps, FWIW. Generally get 3-5 years out of them.

I would also suggest you go over to the Maverick/Pathfinder forums to seek advice.

Good luck...Mike
  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain
    I've got a 2008 Pathfinder with an 1100 gph pump with no problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chiz32chiz32 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    jimmy77 wrote: »
    I've got a 2008 Pathfinder with an 1100 gph pump with no problems.

Do you have Rule pumps?
  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,690 Captain
    chiz32 wrote: »
    Do you have Rule pumps?

Yes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 659 Officer
    To keep the well "full", check the height of your overflow. If it's a tube, buy a longer tube. If it's a drain in the side of baitwell, well, that's not easily fixed. A lot of manufacturers place a divider in the center of the large oval tanks to stop the sloshing, Plexiglass with holes in them so water can move freely side to side. My Bluewater had one as does my Glasstream.
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 222 Deckhand
    Hey Capt. Pants, good call. I remember a guy wanting to fill his livewell higher, he removed his drain plug and put it in his overflow
    hole. He then put a stem tube in the drain hole, he cut the tube to just under the top of the livewell. I never saw the finished livewell,
    but it might be worth a try.