Living paycheck to paycheck

ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,996 Admiral
At one time everyone probably lives paycheck to paycheck but most seem to mature or wind up earning enough to no longer survive that way. As for myself I got out of that around 30. For those who no longer live paycheck to paycheck at what age did you get free.
Deo Vindice

Replies

• Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,343 Officer
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,875 AG
    When my daughter graduated Vanderbilt and got married..... :wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,675 AG
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    When my daughter graduated Vanderbilt and got married..... :wink

When was she at Vanderbilt?
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,401 Admiral
    About 25 for me.
    Then I bought a new house , quit my Government job and started my own business.
    So I got to do it again for about 3 years at 35.Counted change sittin on the floor to buy food.
    Now I'm free and clear on everything and taking another week off at my Camp....:cool:
    Living on the edge has always been fun..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,966 Admiral
    35 or so, once I gots my disability and ebt I was home free homie, iffen youse no wut I mean,
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • SLSSLS Posts: 181 Deckhand
    If living paycheck to paycheck means not saving any money I guess I was around 35.
    I always made enough and a bit more to feel secure but didn't seriously think about saving for the future until my mid 30's.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,977 Captain
    Mid 20s for me. I started listening to Dave Ramsey and began to understand $$. I only wish I had done so sooner in life. It amazes me how many of my friends still buy stuff they cant afford!
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,221 Officer
    I watched Tom Wu infomercials at 24 and hit it big
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,406 AG
    hoping to this year!
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below MiccoPosts: 3,822 Moderator
    Polar lives forum to forum.
    smilie_dance.gif
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,330 AG
    Polar wrote: »
    hoping to this year!

YEAH, RIGHT!

You not only have a gorgeous wife, a great son, and prolly more money than the rest of us combined!

:wink

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,406 AG
    pfffft! thanks, we be broke though, but were happy at least.
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 781 Officer
    IMHO; Nobody really ever stops looking for a paycheck or some sort of monetary income, even the super rich **** I work for are always looking for a way to gather a buck.... and they're usually the ones hardest to get one out of.
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 AG
    I still love Ramen noodles. and I'm still broke.
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    13 yes I was a young bloomer. Started my first business.
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    Popeye wrote: »
    I still love Ramen noodles. and I'm still broke.

But are ya havin fun?
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 6,996 Admiral
    Nickhoog wrote: »
    IMHO; Nobody really ever stops looking for a paycheck or some sort of monetary income, even the super rich **** I work for are always looking for a way to gather a buck.... and they're usually the ones hardest to get one out of.

You obviously don't understand the term which implies losing a paycheck will quickly lose the ability to pay rent/mortage, car etc. Many of us can quit working and not worry about those things.

Perhaps you are simply being obtuse.
    Deo Vindice
  • Eddy dEddy d Posts: 285 Deckhand
    I've done it a couple of times, first time was probably early twenties and just kept saving and having a big nest egg. I have hustled most of my adult life and always had extra income to stash away. Bottom fell out of everything and I was able to last a few years to cover everything, just getting back to stashing cash away again. It is not easy with a couple of kids in private school, we are not liquid but the investments have paid off.
    Big Game Liquors.com :Glass
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,424 AG
    23, then made a bad business decision at 26 and went back to paycheck to paycheck from 2008 to just last year. Still paying for the bad decision, but finally digging out of the hole. I assume by the time I dig my way completely out of it, my daughter will be getting married and i'll be diving right back in.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Baits OutBaits Out Posts: 12,330 AG
    Am also guilty but my losses were caused by my passion and lust for blondes and redheads.

Twice in the last 20-some years trusted the wrong ones and it easily cost me six figures --
    which adds to and extends the definition of double dumb.

A lesson for younger guys.

A southeast Florida laid back beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor who lives on island time. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,424 AG
    Baits Out wrote: »
    Am also guilty but my losses were caused by my passion and lust for blondes and redheads.

Twice in the last 20-some years trusted the wrong ones and it easily cost me six figures --
    which adds to and extends the definition of double dumb.

A lesson for younger guys.

I remember an older gentleman at a bar one night, think i was out for my 21st birthday weekend. His words of wisdom were

"you gotta pay, you gotta pay for all that (insert expletive here) you been doin sooner or later.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.