Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Marathon Boat Ramps

Heading down to the keys in May from NC. We are trailering our 27 foot onslow bay, and staying near Key Colony. What are the best boat ramp options. We have put a 20 feet sea pro in at mile marker 54 and it seemed pretty shallow. Are there any boat ramps that are a little deeper. We have been looking at Grassy Key Marina and riding through Vaca Cut. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,919 Captain
    I often use the ramp you refer to, and it is a bit shallow, but as long as you don't cut to the west too early, it is ok. Another ramp that is good and a lot deeper is the Dodge Lake ramp. Just North of the airport on Aviation Boulevard. There is almost no parking space at this ramp, but a good ramp if you're storing the trailer elsewhere. The ramp on 33rd Street is a good ramp and does have some parking, but is a bit further West than the other two. All three ramps mentioned are free public ramps.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • JoeGiulJoeGiul Posts: 453 Deckhand
    There is a ramp on the bay side on aviation blvd. It is small and there is not any parking but the ramp is great. Got my 33' Ocean Master out there easily. It is in like a little private bay and this also makes it easy when the wind is blowing.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Aviation+Boulevard+Boat+Ramp/@24.724897,-81.059157,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8fe1525f7d7e406d
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    There was one on ave I near coco plum it was $10 and plenty deep but the road was narrow and not fun turning.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,919 Captain
    JoeGiul wrote: »
    There is a ramp on the bay side on aviation blvd. It is small and there is not any parking but the ramp is great. Got my 33' Ocean Master out there easily. It is in like a little private bay and this also makes it easy when the wind is blowing.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Aviation+Boulevard+Boat+Ramp/@24.724897,-81.059157,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8fe1525f7d7e406d

I think this is the one they call Dodge Lake ramp
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • lancehall5012lancehall5012 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Klinger wrote: »
    I often use the ramp you refer to, and it is a bit shallow, but as long as you don't cut to the west too early, it is ok. Another ramp that is good and a lot deeper is the Dodge Lake ramp. Just North of the airport on Aviation Boulevard. There is almost no parking space at this ramp, but a good ramp if you're storing the trailer elsewhere. The ramp on 33rd Street is a good ramp and does have some parking, but is a bit further West than the other two. All three ramps mentioned are free public ramps.

This looks like the way to go, I'm guessing the whole area is fairly deep. Channel is tucked away but looks pretty easy to navigate. Thanks
  • JoeGiulJoeGiul Posts: 453 Deckhand
    The channel is easy to see from the bay side. It is deep and not super wide but I would guess anything with a beam of less than 20' would have no problem.
    Joe G.
    Lighthouse Point
  • UFstudentUFstudent Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    It would be a good run for key colony but 33rd street is probably the best/easiest ramp to use in Marathon.
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Definitely 33rd street. I launch a 25 foot Cobia WA and while I CAN do it at MM 54, it is tight, you have to know how to get out to keep from grounding, and on Saturdays it is usually packed with PWCs launching and tooling around. 33rd is a great ramp and has multiple launches and good docks vs. the single at MM54