Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

what's your favorite lure for May conditions?

avidone1avidone1 Senior MemberPosts: 140 Deckhand
I'm looking to try some new baits so I figured I'd ask y'all what you like
for our warm May conditions.
Size and color choice, trailer types etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,881 Moderator
    Odd thing about May is everything works. Most bass are off the beds and are really hungry. If anything , I would say something big and slow is what to throw. Kind of poetic ain't it :cool: . At least if you are targeting really big bass.
    The FWC biologist at the hatchery said the big females will turn right around and eat a 2lb to 3lb male bass after spawning . Color, (and he said it) bass ..
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Senior Member Posts: 1,711 Captain
    I fish a plastic worm 12 months and I even caught a fish once. Right now at Lake Lanier, GA a spinnerbait is working.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 10,466 AG
    I like spinnerbaits in the springtime.
    But plastic frogs are always my favorite.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • GRIZZLGRIZZL Senior Member TitusvillePosts: 909 Officer
    Depends on what type of water you are fishing and time of day/type of day. Schooling bass/open water = jerk baits/Flukes good early morning and where there is current flow (river or wind driven). Best to follow the birds fishing like that. When the sun comes up I look for shade in pads or grass. 1st I work the outer open edges of pads with a spinner for squarebill , then i move into the heavy cover after targeting the active fish and flip jigs and worms into the floating grass and thicker pad fields at the edge of moving water.

It all depends on WHERE you are fishing as to the lure. I mostly fish a big jig & creature bait on 65#braid in the thickest floating stuff I can find for big bass. This is slow/low quantity BIG bite fishing.

Fishing schoolies are higher volume 2-4 lb'ers and can wear you out with action but you have to run and gun to find the schools
  • dlddld Member NE FlaPosts: 40 Deckhand
    all my bass so far this year are caught on a rapala golden shiner, old school topwater lure. I have caught bass bream and even a flounder on it.
  • ebgatorebgator Member Posts: 46 Deckhand
    I'M DOWN IN BROWARD COUNTY, MOSTLY FISHING THE LAKES AND CANALS FROM THE BANKS. WHAT WOULD EVERYONE RECOMMEND FOR THAT. I LOVE USING ARTIFICIALS AND I'M RIGGING A 6.5 FOOT MEDIUM ACTION ROD WITH 10LB MONO AND A BAITCAST REEL.