Jupiter Phins. 4/13/2016 :)

I actually have something to report unlike my last post lol.

Got a late start today. I wanted to be on the water by 8am but it was more like 9:30. Having problems with my bilge pump I wanted to sort it out before I headed offshore.

Ran out to 100 ft and saw a parking lot of boats I guess they were bottom fishing I didn't want to get all up in their business. past them and threw the lines in started at about 135 ft. Conditions were nice NOAA said 2 FT it was 1-2 from 1-7 M off the inlet.

Trolled a 4 line spread all ballyhoo with various color Illanders. Blue & White, Blue & Chartreuse, Pink & White.

Goal was to head out to about 500ft and zig zag back to 250ish.

Well in 465Ft My wife picked up a slinger cow on the long line.

went out to about 515ft and started circling back at 400 ft we picked up the biggest cow I have ever caught. :fishing I didn't have a scale or a tape measure but I am guessing about 44-46" based on photo comparisons on what I measured at home. :wink anyway she hit the long line and didn't hook up and then came and slammed the extremely short (like 25-30ft short bait) :grin

After that I decided since the bite seemed to be in the 400-500 Ft range we should stay there. I turned back out to 500ft. Got to 500 turned around and started heading back to 400ft saw a Large Green turtle with about 4 dolphin under him. I didn't want to harass the turtle (I really like them) so we decided to just troll by him instead of getting up on him and trying to cast at the dolphin he had with him. wouldn't ya know the opposite side out rigger clip pops. Hit but no hookup. :banghead

Decided to circle back to the area the turtle was in and call it a day. :fishing drag starts screaming and its a big bull. He was not all that happy but we got him in the boat without incident.

At this point we had only been out there about 2ish hours and decided to call it a day and run back in.

I didn't take any pictures of the bull until we got back to the dock someone at the marina was nice enough to take one for my wife and I.

TLDR: Overall we had a super day. Phins were between 400-500 Ft for me out Jupiter Inlet.

P.S. If anyone wants to tell me what the parking lot was doing in 100 ft I would be curious to know.
Thanks,
-SonarSup
STS2/SS Submarine Veteran :USA
USCG Licensed Captain OUPV

Replies

• Dominic74Dominic74 Posts: 727 Officer
    nice job guys !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    SonarSup wrote: »
    Ran out to 100 ft and saw a parking lot of boats I guess they were bottom fishing I didn't want to get all up in their business. past them and threw the lines in started at about 135 ft.

You might want to try to remember where that parking lot was. Those guys were probably getting live bait in a proven spot.

Great report & great job out there. A lot of boats went out today. Not everyone caught fish.
  • SonarSupSonarSup Posts: 123 Deckhand
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    You might want to try to remember where that parking lot was. Those guys were probably getting live bait in a proven spot.

Great report & great job out there. A lot of boats went out today. Not everyone caught fish.

090 off the inlet Lot of commercial boats. :)
    Thanks,
    -SonarSup
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,818 Captain
    SonarSup wrote: »
    090 off the inlet Lot of commercial boats. :)

Probably good kingfish numbers. Thanks for the detail, I'm gonna go for a few hours tomorrow. Did you see any weediness or was it just desert?
    Anyways, great catching & congrats on the good eats! Keep posting.
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
    Probably good kingfish numbers. Thanks for the detail, I'm gonna go for a few hours tomorrow. Did you see any weediness or was it just desert?
    Anyways, great catching & congrats on the good eats! Keep posting.

Blue desert. occasional piece of weed or flying fish. No birds no lines no rips :(
    Thanks,
    -SonarSup
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,348 Admiral
    Very nice
  • phantom561phantom561 Posts: 240 Deckhand
    Commercial boats catching Rudderfish
  • Dustin BoyntonDustin Boynton Boynton beachPosts: 328 Deckhand
    Great report congrats
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Great report with details and pics. Keep up the good work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,818 Captain
    500' was on the money! Lots of temp breaks from 100-500'.
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • Floridafisher24Floridafisher24 Posts: 116 Officer
    Rudder fish for sure
    500' was on the money! Lots of temp breaks from 100-500'.

NOOICE. Glad it worked out!
    Thanks,
    -SonarSup
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Gotta love it!!