Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Chokoloskee... In a gheenoe

Got to get out this morning in my buddy's gheenoe. Its been nearly a year since I've done any inshore fishing besides taking my kids to fish the docks around Marco. It was kind of chilly this morning and very windy all day. Was on the water by 7 and didn't do all that well today. I was throwing small brown bucktails tipped with shrimp. Caught about dozen small snapper, couple jacks, small trout, small snook and two gags. One of the gags was a great fight on a light spinner. I was off the water by 1. It was a very wet ride in the front of the gheenoe with how windy it was. Great day to be on the water.

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,272 Officer
    Sounds like a lot of fun.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 889 Officer
    Best fishing boat there is for shallow backwaters.But DO NOT get caught in rough waters.A wave
    over the side will put that boat underwater quick.
  • EasternGlowEasternGlow Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Yup, you really have to pick your days out there in a gheenoe. I ended up selling my highsider for this reason in favor of a salt marsh 14. Has more freeboard and beam, but does everything a gheenoe will.
  • Doc1Doc1 Posts: 65 Greenhorn
    Nice grouper for inshore, but of course, you could catch a keeper out of a rain barrel.
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    we need to go check that spot back up now that gags are in season , save some gas
  • charlemagnecharlemagne Posts: 191 Officer
    That is awesome.. love catching gags.. they are a blast! Also.. gheenoe.. wow.. you got some balls with the wind we have been having, I was out in a 20ft boat the other day and didn't head out to the outer islands because it was getting too sporty.. lol

Charles
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,193 Admiral
    Dad had a 16' Finn & Feather gheenoe type with a 30 Tahatsu that I'd love to run the back country with.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,937 AG
    Nice day out.

I sold my gheenoe after a friend flipped it and it filled with water and sat just below the water surface. I fished out of it for many years with no issues. A buddy makes this boat, Widgeon duck boat. great for fishing and hunting and you cannot sink it.

IMG_0415_zps41gfdbhs.jpg
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes