North captiva island fishing

Staying on north captiva island the last week of April. Bringing tackle rods and kayak. Any help would be greatly appreciated for fishing from shore or kayak. Looking for action, not anything in particular. Any help or tipswould be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Beach side you should have prespawn snook, Pompano, mackerel, tarpon and night time sharks. Bayside you should have the normal stuff like reds, trout snook, and so on. Silver spoons, pompano jigs, gulp lures and some steal leader for sharks and you should have it covered. For the pompano I twitch the jig right along the bottom. You should get plenty of bycatch for shark and tarpon bait. At night use the kayak to get your baits out further for shark. Good luck.
  • HunterSThompsonHunterSThompson Posts: 60 Deckhand
    The Bait Box on Sanibel is a good spot to get info, they are quite helpful. If you get a chance, Ding Darling is fun to do, $5 to get in and you could fish all day in your kayak. You can always fish the Blind Pass bridge/ jetty which produces a mixed bag. Jensens for your shrimp on the island. I will be up that way this weekend, I will give you an update on how the fishing is going.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    The Bait Box on Sanibel is a good spot to get info, they are quite helpful. If you get a chance, Ding Darling is fun to do, $5 to get in and you could fish all day in your kayak. You can always fish the Blind Pass bridge/ jetty which produces a mixed bag. Jensens for your shrimp on the island. I will be up that way this weekend, I will give you an update on how the fishing is going.

That's a long paddle from North Cap!
  • KokiKoki Posts: 49 Deckhand
    For guaranteed action it's hard to beat a pompano jig. If you're not lucky enough to catch a pompano, you will surely catch whiting, jacks, spanish mackerel, ladyfish, flounder and trout. The snook will be there but they take more creativity, same with reds and tarpon. Keep in mind there is usually a lot of current in the passes.
  • Reed0777Reed0777 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Wow! Thanks for all the help. I'm pretty much looking to bend a rod, not picky on species.
    Wow! Thanks for all the help. I'm pretty much looking to bend a rod, not picky on species. Any particular lures or colors? Or weights?
  • HunterSThompsonHunterSThompson Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Snook are getting pretty active on the gulfside beaches/passes. Nailed quite a few in the 20-25in size this weekend. All on artificial. Pompano jigs and twitch baits. Spent money on live shrimp and it was a waste, most ended up getting picked by little snappers pinfish etc or just catching catfish. The rest ended up in the freezer for chum offshore. Caught a good number of whiting off the causeway beach. Too windy for me to put the jon boat in and check out the back bays. Saw a lot of guys doing very well on the fly too. Good luck and tight lines.
  • go dartgo dart Posts: 33 Greenhorn
    Honestly you won't need the Kayak. The beach fishing is good and getting better for Snook. The Island Club has Kayaks if you want to use one for a while. Casually, frozen shrimp on a 1/4 oz jig will get eaten pretty regulary. Note: Get your frozen baits at Pine Island before coming over. Theres some bait on the island but its pricy. The North Point on incoming tides can be just crazy. Try the same point at first light if theres enough wind to keep the see-ums down. Use Rapala Shadow Raps and hold on!. The beach on the bay side of the landing strip has really good grass and of course Trout and some pretty good Reds mixed in. Theres a fishing guide on the island " The Fishing Lady". If you don't mind spending a few bucks she knows every nook and cranny and where the fish are. She has a good facebook page. If your not too familiar with the island can I offer a few tips?
    * Bring most of your meals. I wont dog the restaurants but read this one again.
    * The little store across from the marina is pretty good and actually fair priced with a decent lure area.
    * Be careful at the pool bar. I dunno what it is. No matter how few or how many drinks I have I can hardly make my way home.
    *Make friends with everybody you meet. Its my favorite place on earth.
    I'll actually be there the same time. Good luck!
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 477 Deckhand
    Pick up this months issue of Florida Sportsman Magazine (gotta support our forum ;) ) they did an article on fishing North Captiva.
    Wow! Fantastic fishing right from shore. Gulp shrimp on jig heads or rapala ripping raps were the absolute top baits. What a great time and awesome place! Thanks for all the tips. We ate a lot of fish and released way way way more. So much fun fishing.
    Oh, also when a local on the island tells you to stay out of captiva pass with your kayak, LISTEN! We had quite a scare when the tide changed to outgoing and was absolutely ripping. We went from having a great time catching red and gag groupers to paddling like crazy with everything we had just to reach shore-on cayo Costa, and then walking around the tip of cayo Costa into the sound with less current in order to make it back to north cap. It was a sobering experience, but we caught a ton of grouper.
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Any keeper grouper?
  • calicali Wellington, FL. 33414Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    I am thinking of renting in North Captiva in August. 
    I was wondering any thoughts on beach fly fishing , paddle board fishing options as well as recommended fishing guides.. 

thank you