Skip to main content
Home Boating

new 2012 175 e tec

larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,880 Moderator
edited June 3 in Boating #1
i just picked up my repowered 20 ft trophy offshore style center console boat, 3000 lbs 19 or 20 degree deadrise,t top..boat is used mostly for offshore fishing. the prop they gave me was a cyclone 4 blade 14.5x15 prop..they felt it would give me the best mid range performance and mpg at 4000 rpm but woul lose speed at the top end..i have two weeks to test the prop to see if is what i want..with the wet test they said it ran 38mph @5350..they said a three blade woud give me about 44mph but would not be as good in mid range where i usualy run about 28 mph..i have not had the boat in the water yet.
just asking for your thoughts (the 150 johonson 2001 carbed looper pushed it at 36mph aso with three blades,old motor was still running strong)
thans larrywitt

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,880 Moderator
    Well i guess no one has a Cyclone prop on there boat at about $700.00 a pop it is no wonder . I hope its worth the extra change..Oh what fun!!!
    larrywitt
  • BillgranBillgran Posts: 350 Deckhand
    I've been out of town for the last couple of weeks and haven't had much internet access available. Sorry

For a strong and economical midrange, the Rebel series of props work very well. Give them a try. You want to attain 5500-5700 rpm for best overall performance with a normal load of gas and people.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat"
    --- Travis McGee

Well i called my dealer and said i would like to try a Rebel prop,responce was fine they will send me one..Just got a Email that the prop that i need is gone missing..If i want to try one it would have to be ordered and it would my final choice( no return)..This is OK as long as it is the right selection??Do i let them decide pitch & dia. you can see the performance wth the 4 blade,,,first post..I need some input here.. Weather and time has not allowed me to run the boat as much as i would have liked The I command works great..
    larrywitt
    There is no way to give you an absolute answer due to a "one of a kind" type of repower. Your rpm seems low with the 15" Cyclone, or your tach may not be accurate.

I would try a 15" Rebel, move your motor up a hole or two if the anti-ventilation plate is not visible above the water, and make sure the boat bottom is smooth and clean. Get the tach checked first or substitute a known good one or have a tech go for a ride using a laptop and diagnostic software.

--- Travis McGee

here is the report
    the hull has hard bottom paint many coats not smooth as bare hull.does this report look nonmal, this with the cyclone.you aked about the tach i assume it is reading right.(digital i comand)
    The rpm is probably accurate because of the I-Command digital reputation. Are you trimming the motor out as far as you can without breaking the prop loose or porpoising the boat? You could also have a warped keel (hook) or a waterlogged boat that would keep the rpms too low. Once is a great while a prop is mis-marked so you should try some different ones and check the top rpm.

--- Travis McGee