02APR16 - Port Eve Report

Launched at 0600 and stocked up on new info from remel1993, went out and attempted vertical jigging for the first time. It was bumpy, really bumpy. The west wind was non-existent and the 2-3' rollers were more like 2-5', one of my guys on the boat was throwing up all day (but he was a trooper and never complained), not to mention that the 0% chance of rain turned into 50% chance of rain, really nasty weather. Fished 300'-340' and caught AJs, BFTs, grouper, bonita, and missed A MONSTER that snapped my 40# spider wire. I'm now a fan of vertical jigging and love it, can't wait to get back out there. Now to the good stuff, the photos!

OODWt3Q.jpg
YsaWCMt.jpg
ON7q28S.jpg
2x6d2oG.jpg
1996 24' CC w/300 Yamaha - Sold

Replies

• sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    Tight work. Now you owe remel n I a fishing trip on your boat ;)
    Hobie outback
  • conquistadorconquistador Posts: 211 Deckhand
    sammy2189 wrote: »
    Tight work. Now you owe remel n I a fishing trip on your boat ;)

Done! PM me and I'll take you!
  • CaptainHeikoCaptainHeiko Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Nice! Those fish look good!

Man i'm so torn on what to do. I think tomorrow's supposed to be rougher.
    I'm in a 17.5ft boat. I'll be by myself so I don't mind getting tossed around, but I def. can't handle 5ft waves! lol they'll be coming over the front eeks.

I really really want to go out early tomorrow out of PE, I'm not so worried about getting out, more about getting back in hah
    What tide is best for running back into PE so they waves aren't massive?
    Turtle Time -
    236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
    JKbIqtU.jpg
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 847 Officer
    awesome job!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,626 Captain
    Way to go on the tuna, we were in
    the basin netting pilchards next to you.
    Nice! Those fish look good!

Man i'm so torn on what to do. I think tomorrow's supposed to be rougher.
    I'm in a 17.5ft boat. I'll be by myself so I don't mind getting tossed around, but I def. can't handle 5ft waves! lol they'll be coming over the front eeks.

I really really want to go out early tomorrow out of PE, I'm not so worried about getting out, more about getting back in hah
    What tide is best for running back into PE so they waves aren't massive?

Did you go? Looks calm out there this am! However, supposed to get real bad by the PM.

FgdvfMk.jpg
    Way to go on the tuna, we were in
    the basin netting pilchards next to you.

Were you w/the young guns or older guns?
  • Plastered2850Plastered2850 Posts: 1,626 Captain
    We were in the bluewaterPLASTERED.If 60
    is a old gun thats us.Oh my Capt. is the
    older gun he is 76.
  • holdemhook1holdemhook1 Posts: 168 Officer
    Nice catch and report!
    23 contender with 200 Mercury Optimax
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CaptainHeikoCaptainHeiko Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Did you go? Looks calm out there this am! However, supposed to get real bad by the PM.

Yea. Cleared PE around 7:05am Ran out smooth. Around 8:30 wind really started picking up and at 9:30 it got pretty bad. Started running in around 10 and wondered if I had waited too long in my boat. When those yachts come racing by their waves are pretty intense hah but all in all it went well. Got some fish (posting that on a report later today with some video hopefully), but still couldn't get on the BFT's!

I got a bunch of nice sized bonita, but those BFT... where are they! hah everyone says they are everywhere between 240-400. I was jigging off dania pier in 270, then some more in 340, and drifted sometimes into 240. Tons of bonita, I caught one almost every time I dropped the jig. The wind def. made it a little difficult. I had to cast way in front of the boat and it was still way behind me by the time it got to the bottom. I was using a 5oz.
    Turtle Time -
    236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
    JKbIqtU.jpg
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 522 Officer
    Great report! Glad i was able to help. I also went out for an hour yesterday around 6pm. Was really choppy. I jigged over a wreck @270 and hooked up to my biggest fish ever. Fought it for a good 15 minutes and broke off right at the boat, couldnt even see what it was. Wanted to stick around longer but the fam started throwing up lol. Thats why I dont like taking family out.
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 522 Officer
    Yea. Cleared PE around 7:05am Ran out smooth. Around 8:30 wind really started picking up and at 9:30 it got pretty bad. Started running in around 10 and wondered if I had waited too long in my boat. When those yachts come racing by their waves are pretty intense hah but all in all it went well. Got some fish (posting that on a report later today with some video hopefully), but still couldn't get on the BFT's!

I got a bunch of nice sized bonita, but those BFT... where are they! hah everyone says they are everywhere between 240-400. I was jigging off dania pier in 270, then some more in 340, and drifted sometimes into 240. Tons of bonita, I caught one almost every time I dropped the jig. The wind def. made it a little difficult. I had to cast way in front of the boat and it was still way behind me by the time it got to the bottom. I was using a 5oz.

I tried from 300-350ft, didnt get any black fins. Too choppy, i almost fell overboard from the rocking of the boat, so I went in shallower and tried. Nothing to show for the camera. The fish arent always in the same spot. One day you may get one on ever drop and the next day they disappear. Thats fishing
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • seaplusplusseaplusplus Posts: 137 Deckhand
    remel1993 wrote: »
    Great report! Wanted to stick around longer but the fam started throwing up lol. Thats why I dont like taking family out.

Too funny. Been there... It's always a toss up between fishing or being the 'fish crazy relative'. I think one day I'll just decide to take on the crazy title - simpler in the long run

We caught most of our footballs at around 340' most hits on the bottom. We all were using 7oz knife jigs for 300+ feet, plus I used a sea anchor to slow our drift; otherwise the wind would have taken us at 4-5kts. W/the anchor we drifted at 1kt which is important in allowing the weight to hit the bottom. It was pretty consistent hits too, we would fish a water column for 20-30min and if it didn't produce, we pushed out 50' deeper. We also drifted over a few wrecks at 300' and that's where we caught the grouper and AJs.