YC Pulley Ridge Lite, Intoxicating!

So, as no one will remember my past reports but me, I'll set the stage for my final venture to Pulley Ridge for 2016. PR trip number one, I won my first ever big fish pool on the YC with a 28 pound golden tile fish. Number two trip on March 1, I was shocked and elated to capture a 24 pound queen snapper and win again, creating a streak of two consecutive fishing pool successes, not to mention bags full of delicious fish.
On my only Tortugas trip of the season, I wisely decided not to enter the pool as big black groupers were munching at the stern, making my catch look like guppies. Which brings us to the calming of the seas, for the third time allowing us to venture to the far reaches of the Gulf of Mexico, quite close to the edge of the earth. With no expectations, but an obligation to at least try, I quickly passed Brian, the mate, a twenty thus entering the fish pool, once again defending my title in the Yankee Capts MMA. (Mixed Mutton Anglers)
What a mixed crowd! A family group of 8 Oriental men, fishing with ultra light gear, Arnez J, famous comedian, with his body guard, John and his groupie, Caesar, J P and Amanda, dedicated jiggers and owners of an impressive head boat operation in New England, plus a number of permanent residents of the other end of the boat from where I fish.
I met Mr D., (the only response he would tell me when I asked his name and he refused to shake my hand)...my pulpit mate, another jigger, with only one prior appearance on the YC and no Pulley Ridge experience. Mr D. schmoozed me with compliments on my fishing stories and then plied all of my fishing secrets from my cautiously guarded arsenal, then he turned off his recording device and retired to study his pirated data. Huh! My first **** for the trip.
Monday, March 28, 6 PM sharp, the Yankee Capts purred out of harbor and with the thought that we may visit new territory, numbers that were HOT, given to Capt Greg by a friend, I tried to sleep. ****, couldn't sleep but a mere three hours on an eleven hour steam.
First drift, 5 AM, no sign of Mr D. beside me, HUH, he was jigging with the other jiggers on the starboard side yet, never to be seen on the pulpit again! A rapid slapping of tail on the deck caused me to turn from the fish that was mauling me, only to observe a 20 pound tuna pounding out it's last objections and a sly grin from it's captor, Mr D., landing the first fish of the trip only moments before my 18 pound tuna hit the floor. Muttons were appearing with frequency, a great start! By 10 AM I had a tuna and three mutts, a great beginning, but the bite slowed. Noonish, I went for an hours nap and returned to find a slow bite. A small front passed through, dropping the temperature and pushing up waves and Capt Greg steamed off to better bottom, while I napped another hour.
The jiggers and others were hauling up beasts, red groupers, king mackerel, amberjacks, almacos, muttons, lots of them! I was into a beast of my own, not a shark, not a jack, had to be a good one. Then something gave. All of my knots held, no broken line, then half of a hook appeared. The weakest link was the bargain brand hook I chose to save a few bucks on, by not buying the regular Owner hooks I use. A few nice muttons entered my cooler, then another big hit, this time a big Queen trigger fish, deflated and returned, only to float away. By midnight, there were only a small handful of fishers, so I moved off of the heaving pulpit and took up residence midway toward the stern, starboard side.
Using whole squid and a small piece of frozen mackerel to hold it on, ignoring the frequent flyer fish, (too rough to dip net, not safe, too tired, legs sore from standing all day) I landed a mutton, then Amanda got one, then me, then Amanda, back and forth, taking turns, till I had four in a very short period of time and the tuna attack started. Back to the pulpit I went, past Mr D., calmly avoiding his heap of quivering tunas bleeding out near the bow, almost certain that he flipped me the middle finger as I went past. I got one, then something bit the hook off and I didn't notice till Brian pointed it out. Got another and two kings then no hook again! ****!!!
Picked out another pretty pink jig, dropped it and some SOB mackerel inhaled it on the way down, wire leader and all! Jig gone! Ok, enough tuna, back to catching muttons. Stayed on the pulpit, the slapping of tuna tails somehow had awakened the sleeping majority, who were now jigging away like crazy while I captured a few more muttons, a grouper on squid/mackerel and a half dozen flying fish went into my net. Around three or four AM, with a slow bite, mate Matt stopped by for a few minutes. I told him "I need a coffee to keep me awake and if I don't hook a mutton in 15 seconds, I'm quitting." I counted to myself and precisely 15 seconds later, I hooked a mutton while Matt calmly muttered ****!
Daylight bite was slow, who can figure out when and why fish will bite? The only solution is to be at the rail when the bite turns on, per Capt Greg.
The jiggers were at it again! Big fish and lots of them! I was getting an occasional mutton and took my third, hour long nap of the trip, about noon. Totally could not recount how many mutts I had, but I could be nearing my personal best of 19. The mates had deployed the sea anchor to slow our drift, but it complicated the position of all of the fishing lines. Better to have a few tangles than no fishing! Mid afternoon, I nailed a nice grouper and a mutton as soon as we arrived at a new spot, then another Queen trigger. Hooked up on another mutton, I fought it with resistance from tangled lines, lots of lines! It came to the surface and horrors! I saw my hook pop out of it's mouth as it came on top and the mutton floated under the pulpit and out to the other side. Mate Scott deftly gaffed it and we noticed a jig stuck to it's cheek after all the other lines were cleared away. Ok, it goes to the jig guy, right? I looked at my hook and noticed it was broken in half, yet again! So if my hook is still in the fish, it could be mine?... After shoving a flash light down it's throat and probing it with a hook remover, no half hook appeared, (but there was blood visible in it's gullet) and overhearing the jig guy say it was his first fish of the day, I immediately called off the full autopsy and said "That mutton is yours!" He was happy!
Capt Greg let us fish past sunset and with a few final muttons sneaking past the giant sharks that were cruising around wondering what all the lights were about, I quit, dumped my remaining bait and went to sleep, finally!
Back at the dock about 8 or 9 AM, I struggled to keep track of my mutton count, take pictures, not fall down from the heaving of the unstable ground and avoid looking at Mr D., who was proudly watching his three huge coolers overflow with all of his trophy fish caught on a little jig, on a frigging bass rod! Unable to keep count past 15 of my own muttons and thinking I was short of my goal of 20, by at least a couple and knowing that the best man had stripped me of my MMA title in every round we fought, I watched the big fish weigh in then headed home. David had caught at least four or five fish bigger than any of mine and I think the pool winner was a king he caught that had ten inches missing from it's tail end.
Lots of cudas hanging out around the sea anchor and they were observed gnawing the tails off muttons just before gaffing! ****!
Back at the Jolly Roger, my trusty fish cleaning crew assembled and as we laid out the catch for photos, Dang counted my muttons and said there were twenty. I couldn't believe my ears! I counted and recounted then smiled for three hours. I had beaten my personal best! Better than winning the pool!
What a great way to finish up my season on the Yankee Capts. A couple more solo trips on the Grunt Queen then home to Nova Scotia!
Thanks for reading.
Cameron

Replies

• cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 506 Officer
    So sometimes getting a picture or two while on the boat can be complicated. Here is a sequence leading to one picture as taken by a mate clowning around.....
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,755 AG
    Excellent write up.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,028 Officer
    Nice write up Cameron, Way to go, I didn't realize you did that well. BTW: Did you leave a bucket of gear and your net behind? Have a good trip up north. Hope to fish with you again next year.

It's a good thing I like to "fish" because I sure can't say I have been "catching" lately. One picture explains how my trip went. This was taken after fighting tangles all morning, losing several expensive jigs, and a long spell without a bite. Guess which one is mine and which one is the guy fishing next to me?

:mad
    Xaf wrote: »
    Nice write up Cameron, Way to go, I didn't realize you did that well. BTW: Did you leave a bucket of gear and your net behind? Have a good trip up north. Hope to fish with you again next year.

It's a good thing I like to "fish" because I sure can't say I have been "catching" lately. One picture explains how my trip went. This was taken after fighting tangles all morning, losing several expensive jigs, and a long spell without a bite. Guess which one is mine and which one is the guy fishing next to me?

:mad

I wasn't going to be denied on my last trip! My freezer is now full, after giving away all of my fish all winter.
    I forgot my bucket!!! Net wasn't mine. I think I remember everything in it, crew will like the tool belt and tools.....Have a productive summer! Great fishing with you. Write a report, you have lots of good stuff to say!
  • captainjpcaptainjp Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Good to see you again Cameron, safe travels home and I hope we see you next year.
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,473 Captain
    Great report Cameron, really good reading.
    I'm going on the YC in May to PR. First time on this boat. Hope I have half as good luck as you. So, It appears, the guys jigging do well on the BFT's, Kings, and Mutts. Will bring a jigging rod.

When you come back next year, might try to book on a trip you'll be on.
    Safe travels in the meantime. :fishing

Pura Vida!
    captainjp wrote: »
    Good to see you again Cameron, safe travels home and I hope we see you next year.

It was great fishing with you!
    Great report Cameron, really good reading.
    I'm going on the YC in May to PR. First time on this boat. Hope I have half as good luck as you. So, It appears, the guys jigging do well on the BFT's, Kings, and Mutts. Will bring a jigging rod.

When you come back next year, might try to book on a trip you'll be on.
    Safe travels in the meantime. :fishing

If you are on a regular PR trip you will be in 200 250 feet at night and deeper in the daytime.Hammered diamond jigs were working well and pink glow in the dark. Others will work well too.Have a great trip!
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 238 Deckhand
    Great write-up and congrats on the mutton best, did you end up fishing the promised land?
    Great write-up and congrats on the mutton best, did you end up fishing the promised land?

I'm not sure, but if we did I'll bet it was the first spot. Lots of action!
  • jt5691jt5691 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    Great report Cam!! Congrats on the Mutton Catch. Safe travels north!!
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 503 Officer
    Looks like fun. I plan on doing the PR lite trip in October. Hoping to land some nice tunas.
    nightfly wrote: »
    Looks like fun. I plan on doing the PR lite trip in October. Hoping to land some nice tunas.

They come and go, sometimes quickly. Be ready!
  • qledieuqledieu Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Excellent write up as usual cam. Thanks so much for the bait fishing advice . I swear I'll drop my baby bass Rod and jig on the next trip and perfect bait fishing. Till next time tight lines!
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 997 Officer
    Good report.