Need Advice. Looking for good VHF handeld radio

Hey guys,
I mostly run out of Port Everglades. Got some buddies that are usually around in the area. Sick of calling them on my cell haha so it's finally time to get myself a VHF radio!

I am planning on upgrading my boat soon so I don't want to install any units as my new boat will likely already have one. I also do a lot of offshore kayak fishing so a handheld would also be perfect for the kayak and will hold me over on the boat till I get that new one!

I'm on amazon and looking at a few:
http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Waterproof-Two-Way-Marine-MHS75/dp/B001J5MQ20/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459442656&sr=8-2&keywords=marine+radio

http://www.amazon.com/IC-M73-01-Icom-Handheld-Marine/dp/B00AW46260/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1459443011&sr=8-7&keywords=vhf+handheld

I don't mind spending over $100, but not sure if spending over $200 is worth it. But if it makes a big difference I will spend over $200 if you guys highly recommend it. I've never owned VHF radio so I have no clue really what i'm looking for.
My fishing trips easily last 8+ hours sometimes. Its common for me to go out at sunrise and be coming back through the inlet at sunset. So battery life should be good, sound should be clear and it should be reliable and not break after a couple years.

Please drop your advice!
Thanks!!
Turtle Time -
236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
JKbIqtU.jpg

Replies

• Gary MGary M Posts: 13,188 AG
    If you ever REALLY NEED to call someone (aka the USCG) you might regret saving a few $$ and not buying a good quality radio. If you buy a quality unit and take care of it, it will last for years. I like ICOM.

Also, try to find one where you can unscrew the small antenna. Antenna height is very important and if you want to greatly increase your range, you can unscrew the antenna cable from the main/mounted VHF and screw it into the handheld in the even that the main unit dies.
  • CaptainHeikoCaptainHeiko Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Gary M wrote: »
    Also, try to find one where you can unscrew the small antenna. Antenna height is very important and if you want to greatly increase your range, you can unscrew the antenna cable from the main/mounted VHF and screw it into the handheld in the even that the main unit dies.

Ohh nice tip, yea i'll make sure it has that. I used to work a lot with sims and getting signal from modems, i've built my fair share of homemade antennas so would be cool if I could use some of my own

Yea $180 isn't that bad anyways for something that will hopefully last many years =) I'll read a review people got loud and clear radio checks to US boats from 12+ miles out.
    Turtle Time -
    236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
    JKbIqtU.jpg