125,000 years ago...

Replies

• ThrottleThrottle Posts: 2,830 Captain
    Michael Mann's "hockey stick" apparently has not "been so thoroughly discredited" - No matter how many denier websites keep ranting about it.
    And yet the IPCC has dropped it, and in subsequent graphics has apparently resurrected the "medieval warm period" and the "little ice age" which Michael Mann's original anti-fact, anti-science "hockey stick" graph so conveniently obliterated for the sake of a nice flat graph leading up to the horrors of accelerated contemporary warming, which frustratingly keeps falling within the bounds of natural variability.
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?148320-The-Medieval-Warm-Period-never-happened
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Was warmer yesterday than today here & the next 24 hours are supposed to be pretty snotty. The front is already in Panhandle. They're saying the storms may come earlier, with a 2nd batch around 3-4. Sounds like a lousy day to go fishing.

Wikipedia is not mine & it just reflects widely published conclusions about the "hockey stick".

Deniers can try to cherry pick all they want, but Michael Mann was still "correct" even if the graphics continue to stick in deniers throats.
    Contrary opinions abound.
    Dr. Tim Ball: Climate scientists on “cherry picking” global warming data
    When questioned by the Congressional Committee, one researcher, Rosanne D’Arrigo, made a comment that reflected naiveté and duplicity. When asked why data was narrowly and selectively chosen D’Arrigo replied: “That you had to pick cherries if you want to make cherry pie.”
    http://www.therebel.media/climate_scientists_cherry_picking_global_warming_data
    The "medieval warm period" like the "little ice age" were both regional - NOT global.

IPCC "cited 14 reconstructions" that support Mann's conclusions.

Parroting "hockey stick" graph is cherry picking with your head in the sand.
    In one breath deniers whine about being repressed, in the next breath "Contrary opinions abound".
    Throttle wrote: »
    Contrary opinions abound.

The internet is flooded with denier BS & hypocrisy.

NOAA, NASA, USGS, NCDC, etc, etc, etc all say Earth is warming & accelerating human activities contribute to warming.
  • grady30wagrady30wa Posts: 10,161 AG
    Temps were warmer, sea levels were higher... And we are heading there again. Nothing man can do about it

We didn't cause it then. We are not causing it now
    Schadenfreude. November 8, 2016
    In one breath deniers whine about being repressed, in the next breath "Contrary opinions abound".

The internet is flooded with denier BS & hypocrisy.

NOAA, NASA, USGS, NCDC, etc, etc, etc all say Earth is warming & accelerating human activities contribute to warming.
    The internet is flooded with doomsday prophecy too... oh wait, that's you. What do you propose we do about global warming if it's so dire? Raise taxes? Or is it just no big deal and yet you're obsessed and insist everyone acknowledge the threat of something that's no big deal? Or will you fall back on "I have no opinion about what to do about a huuuge catastrophe in the making, which I'm very insistent about identifying, but that's about the end of my opinion on it"?
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 12,853 AG
    grady30wa wrote: »
    Temps were warmer, sea levels were higher... And we are heading there again. Nothing man can do about it

We didn't cause it then. We are not causing it now

You have stated that man was not even in existence at that time, have you considered that mankind won't be around for the next peak either?
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
    You have stated that man was not even in existence at that time, have you considered that mankind won't be around for the next peak either?

I did? Where?
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,541 Captain
    I don'y worry one bit about global warming even if it is man made.
    Why?
    I do my best to not be wasteful, not to pollute beyond that my car and boat do.
    The US is already way too strict, and what we pollute pales in comparison to other countries. We have led and sacrificed enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Deniers also have laid claim to the "doomsday prophecy". They can only see in B&W. Of course most of them are fatalistic End Timers. You're ridiculously wrong to claim "that's you".

If you were honest & familiar with my comments on climate you'd know & admit I've posted many times that NOAA, NASA, USGS NCDC, etc, etc, etc predict no more than ~6' of sea level rise by the end of this century. Living at over 90' elevation this would be no problem for whoever lived here 84 years from now. You'd need to ask the ocean front McMansion owners if 6' rise would be "a huuuge catastrophe". If you were honest & familiar with my comments on climate you'd know & admit I've posted that global warming will no doubt be good for certain regions. Just not so much for the billions who live at sea level.

Throttle wrote: »
    The internet is flooded with doomsday prophecy too... oh wait, that's you. What do you propose we do about global warming if it's so dire? Raise taxes? Or is it just no big deal and yet you're obsessed and insist everyone acknowledge the threat of something that's no big deal? Or will you fall back on "I have no opinion about what to do about a huuuge catastrophe in the making, which I'm very insistent about identifying, but that's about the end of my opinion on it"?

Your vain & juvenile attempts to assault my personal opinions show that "you're obsessed and insist" on denying what NOAA, NASA, USGS, NCDC, etc, etc, etc "propose we do". Climate change doesn't give a crap about politics, or denier's "contrary opinions" & will inflict its costs one way or another.

I'll continue to "fall back on" pointing out how idiotic deniers are in their hypocrisy & double talk. I've also said people are likely to greedily burn up every last gram of fossil fuels & kill each other over it, rather than invest in & switch to the inevitable, clean, renewable, alternative fuels.

IMO the "huuuge catastrophe in the making" isn't about climate, it's about stupid, lizard brain, gluttony overwhelming limited resources, resulting in endless, escalating bloody conflict. Regardless, the prospect of efficient electric cars & abundant, pollution free, high tech, energy remains very appealing. Conversely, sticking with finite reserves of coal & oil remains doomed to failure. Why continue paying to dig, refine, transport, distribute & pollute with fossil fuels when more energy than I use strikes my roof everyday?

Obama's new CAFE standards should go a long way to eliminating imported oil. Seemed like an obvious choice. Follow Bush's idea, driving Gas Guzzlers is pursuing the American Dream, even if it required importing 70% of the fuel. Or Obama's plan, drive very fuel efficient cars & stop importing oil from Muslim nations.

Instead of ridiculously expensive & risky deep ocean drilling - Build solar & wind farms that don't run dry or pollute.

"oh wait" you've heard that all before, still deny it & lust for a Gas Guzzler & an oceanfront McMansion.
    That's the weakest of straw men, but if that's all you've got...
    I believe what he said was that man lacked SUVs and yet the globe was warmer then. Please try to keep up.
    Still lying to yourself?
    roto7777 wrote: »
    I don'y worry one bit about global warming even if it is man made.
    Why?
    I do my best to not be wasteful, not to pollute beyond that my car and boat do.
    The US is already way too strict, and what we pollute pales in comparison to other countries. We have led and sacrificed enough.

China has overtaken the US in total pollution, but has ~1.36 BILLION people vs. our ~319 MILLION.

Americans still consume & pollute more per person than any other nationality.
    Deniers also have laid claim to the "doomsday prophecy". They can only see in B&W. Of course most of them are fatalistic End Timers. You're ridiculously wrong to claim "that's you".

If you were honest & familiar with my comments on climate you'd know & admit I've posted many times that NOAA, NASA, USGS NCDC, etc, etc, etc predict no more than ~6' of sea level rise by the end of this century. Living at over 90' elevation this would be no problem for whoever lived here 84 years from now. You'd need to ask the ocean front McMansion owners if 6' rise would be "a huuuge catastrophe". If you were honest & familiar with my comments on climate you'd know & admit I've posted that global warming will no doubt be good for certain regions. Just not so much for the billions who live at sea level.

Your vain & juvenile attempts to assault my personal opinions show that "you're obsessed and insist" on denying what NOAA, NASA, USGS, NCDC, etc, etc, etc "propose we do". Climate change doesn't give a crap about politics, or denier's "contrary opinions" & will inflict its costs one way or another.

I'll continue to "fall back on" pointing out how idiotic deniers are in their hypocrisy & double talk. I've also said people are likely to greedily burn up every last gram of fossil fuels & kill each other over it, rather than invest in & switch to the inevitable, clean, renewable, alternative fuels.

IMO the "huuuge catastrophe in the making" isn't about climate, it's about stupid, lizard brain, gluttony overwhelming limited resources, resulting in endless, escalating bloody conflict. Regardless, the prospect of efficient electric cars & abundant, pollution free, high tech, energy remains very appealing. Conversely, sticking with finite reserves of coal & oil remains doomed to failure. Why continue paying to dig, refine, transport, distribute & pollute with fossil fuels when more energy than I use strikes my roof everyday?

Obama's new CAFE standards should go a long way to eliminating imported oil. Seemed like an obvious choice. Follow Bush's idea, driving Gas Guzzlers is pursuing the American Dream, even if it required importing 70% of the fuel. Or Obama's plan, drive very fuel efficient cars & stop importing oil from Muslim nations.

Instead of ridiculously expensive & risky deep ocean drilling - Build solar & wind farms that don't run dry or pollute.

"oh wait" you've heard that all before, still deny it & lust for a Gas Guzzler & an oceanfront McMansion.
    So it's your opinion that unless you own a "McMansion" on the beach global warming is no big deal? Why then the hysteria from you, on a daily basis, over something that's no big deal? And I totally get why you have no solution to advocate, since global warming's no big deal and all.
    Still lying to yourself?

China has overtaken the US in total pollution, but has ~1.36 BILLION people vs. our ~319 MILLION.

So your approach to global warming, which is not a disaster in the making unless you own a McMansion on the beach, but rather just an example of why we affluent westerners are so evil, is that we need to lower our expectations of our standard of living... why? Please explain... I'm not really into un-heated, un-air conditioned mud huts and bicycles so you're gonna have to work hard to sell me on that.
    Like I said...
    They can only see in B&W.

Thanks for proving it so quickly.

Those obsessed with posting "huuuge catastrophe" & ranting ridiculous exaggerations are the ones who are suffering "hysteria".

Of course if you've invested your life in oceanfront it might not just be paranoia & the next inconvenient storm surge could be "a huuuge catastrophe" - w/o even waiting for the end of the century.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Still lying to yourself?

I see your speaking for yourself.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • Tug Boat BobTug Boat Bob Posts: 2,570 Captain

See? Without your curriculum vitae, how are we to discern your BS/opinions from facts?
    Are you ashamed of your GED, is that why?
    "Great lives never go out, they go on."
    Benjamin Harrison 1833-1901
    23rd President of the United States, 1889-1893
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,730 Captain
    Still lying to yourself?

Ridiculous, try getting out of the country, take a trip to India or Russia or Mexico. We are pristine compared to every other country ..........stop drinking the koolaid and face reality.
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,508 Captain
    Yep, this should be true, more or less.
    The more impacting country should be China, though. Or Brazil according to other studies.

Anyway I think that any reasonable person in the world should save as many resources as possible and try to change his habits in this way. Nobody would have a latrine in the middle of his living room, so is stupid making a latrine of the whole humanity living room.

Nevertheless IMHO a serious education of the sustainability would work better than Global Warming terrorism, often just a new age and trendy pseudoscience arranged around personal opinions and strong lobbies interests.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

My YouTube Channel

I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    They are stealing our freedom. Boycott political correctness.
    Mel should cite something to support his personal opinion so readers can see what kind of "koolaid" he guzzles.

Mel needs a new crystal ball b/c his "Ridiculous" speculation about "getting out of the country" marks him as blind, deaf & mute. The smart money says I've probably traveled a lot more than Mel & Mel knows squat about "every other country".

For instance, Russia is nearly twice the size of US, but the US has nearly 4 times the population density.
    The MelMan wrote: »
    Ridiculous, try getting out of the country, take a trip to India or Russia or Mexico. We are pristine compared to every other country ..........stop drinking the koolaid and face reality.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/american-consumption-habits/

http://www.prb.org/Publications/Articles/2006/LifestyleChoicesAffectUSImpactontheEnvironment.aspx
    mustang doesn't have anything On Topic to say for himself.
    mustang190 wrote: »
    I see your speaking for yourself.

mustang should do some reading for himself, maybe he'd learn something.

Start with post #112.
    grady30wa wrote: »
    ...global temperatures were a couple of degrees warmer, and ocean levels were 60 feet higher than today.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/globalwarming/interglacial.html
    The "medieval warm period" like the "little ice age" were both regional - NOT global.

IPCC "cited 14 reconstructions" that support Mann's conclusions.

Parroting "hockey stick" graph is cherry picking with your head in the sand.
    Sure, in far flung regions around the globe. You have to try to discredit widely accepted facts like the existence of the little ice age in order to keep the hysteria at a fever pitch though. BTW, still waiting for your prescription for curing the planet's fever. If you don't have one then why do you keep up your tirade?
    If NOAA, NASA, USGS, NCDC etc, etc, etc hadn't published about "the existence of the little ice age" you'd never have heard anything about it to cherry pick "in order to keep the hysteria at a fever pitch" on your denier websites.

NOAA calmly says "the little ice age" was limited to being a regional event & published its data supporting that conclusion - No matter how many times you try to "keep up your tirade".

If the higher Temps were local and not global then why were sea levels 20 feet higher?

Sea levels are not a local occurrence
    grady's having trouble distinguishing his "125,000 years ago" fantasy with the "little ice age" & "medieval warm period" fantasies.

grady can't keep his "60 feet higher" separated from his "20 feet higher" cherry picking. Comical debate about the difference between a couple & a few - BUT grady back pedaled from "60 feet higher" to just "20 feet higher"!

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/gornitz_09/

grady needs to compare notes with Throttle.

NOAA & NASA has had no such problems.
  • seajay-1seajay-1 Posts: 4,736 Captain
    NOAA & NASA has had no such problems.

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?218109-125-000-years-ago/page12#ixzz44nTPRKD2

You get what you pay for.
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,016 Captain

Why continue paying to dig, refine, transport, distribute & pollute with fossil fuels when more energy than I use strikes my roof everyday?

I'm interested in getting solar panels installed.

What kind do you have? What's your ROI?
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,016 Captain
    Just kicking this to the top, I'm interested in his solar setup. And electric car.