News Anchor of 18 years Fired for PC BS

MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
This is just another example of the PC bulls... that is going on in our country. What is really sad is she was telling the truth. Link - http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/pittsburgh-tv-anchor-fired-over-facebook-post-stereotyping-%e2%80%98young-black-men%e2%80%99/ar-BBr9khz?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp
My Favorite Smile Is Vertical

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 8,845 Admiral
    The liberals are ruining this country.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Sounds like she made editorial comments rather than reporting the news.

All of these stations need to focus on reporting the news, not making it.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Facebook has cost many people their jobs.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,014 Admiral
    Menzies wrote: »

Don't know that fb is the place for her to have to report the news. Plus, I didn't see where she said anything untrue.
    Deo Vindice
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,679 AG

Correct, she is a journalist hired to report the news, not write editorials and making guesses about who the criminals may be.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain

Mens - Try to be honest. What she puts on her personal FB page is her business. The comments were not made about every young black man, but about the individuals that had committed the crimes.
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    Don't know that fb is the place for her to have to report the news. Plus, I didn't see where she said anything untrue.

She put it on the station's FB page.
    MGTeacher wrote: »
    Mens - Try to be honest. What she puts on her personal FB page is her business. The comments were not made about every young black man, but about the individuals that had committed the crimes.

Again, read the article. She put it on the station's FB page, not her own.
    Again, read the article. She put it on the station's FB page, not her own.

I see that now.

Do you think she should have fired?
  • grady30wagrady30wa Posts: 10,161 AG

If that is grounds for firing, then there would not be a news anchor left in this world
    Schadenfreude. November 8, 2016
    I see that now.

Do you think she should have fired?

The way I would look at it is:

I am running a business. My revenue is driven by advertisers. My advertisers decide to advertise based on my viewership, the rates I charge are based on that as well.

So any activity that I assess will negatively impact my revenue stream I am going to look very hard at. As part of that assessment I will add in a few other variables such as defensible ethics of the activity, including my core objective of reporting the news accurately, previous direction not to do it (written or verbal), reaction from constituents to the activity based on my business model balanced against those other variables.

Then I make the call.

Sometimes it will be a firing, sometimes a warning, sometime full support.

Depends on my will to stay in business and stay true to my core.
    I see no one has disputed the accuracy of what she posted.
    Deo Vindice
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 12,891 AG

Maybe what she puts on her FB page is her business, but it is her employers business to fire her for it.
    See, in a worker employer relationship the employer chooses why to hire or fire.

You agree that is the correct way for things to be done, don't you?
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • Team SabatageTeam Sabatage Posts: 12,891 AG

Knowing when to keep your mouth shut about what you know is a critical part of living in a society, don't you agree, counselor?
    Strap me in, tie me down and roll me a bone, I'm getting on an airplane and I'm flying home...
  • The MelManThe MelMan Posts: 3,933 Captain

Sometimes it will be a firing, sometimes a warning, sometime full support.

Depends on my will to stay in business and stay true to my core.

"Political correctness is ruining our country" My Dad. If you bow to political correctness , you reinforce it.
    This is a major reason people are passionate about Trump, he grew up before political correctness and has no need to support it, bend a knee to it or acknowledge it has any benefit to mankind. It is being used by the progressives to manipulate the simple.............' think as we do or you will be punished'................
    2012-2013 FloridaSportsman BCS Bowl Poll Champion

Northwest Nascar Champion 2012, 2017

"2011-2012 BCS Bowl Poll Champion".
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG

Seeing that you have authored and continue offer the identical racial stereotyping here, that should surprise no one.

"They are young black men, likely teens or in their early 20s," Bell wrote. "They have multiple siblings from multiple fathers and their mothers work multiple jobs. These boys have been in the system before. They've grown up there. They know the police. They've been arrested. They've made the circuit and nothing has scared them enough. Now they are lost. Once you kill a neighbor's three children, two nieces and her unborn grandson, there's no coming back. There's nothing nice to say about that."

It is also inaccurate and not attributable to who she was referring to, I'm guessing. That's not editorializing or lack of being politically correct. That's bigotry, plain and simple.

As we too often see in this very form, accessing social media is becoming a license to say whatever anyone feels like saying about anyone or anything without consequence.

There are consequences however as this woman learned. Life is not consequence free. Un-masking the anonymous here would demonstrate that easily.

Unlike this, Facebook puts faces on that careless and often hate-filled commentary and yields the consequences it deserves.

It would be a good model to assume here.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    Seeing that you have authored and continue offer the identical racial stereotyping here, that should surprise no one.

"They are young black men, likely teens or in their early 20s," Bell wrote. "They have multiple siblings from multiple fathers and their mothers work multiple jobs. These boys have been in the system before. They've grown up there. They know the police. They've been arrested. They've made the circuit and nothing has scared them enough. Now they are lost. Once you kill a neighbor's three children, two nieces and her unborn grandson, there's no coming back. There's nothing nice to say about that."

It is also inaccurate and not attributable to who she was referring to, I'm guessing. That's not editorializing or lack of being politically correct. That's bigotry, plain and simple.

As we too often see in this very form, accessing social media is becoming a license to say whatever anyone feels like saying about anyone or anything without consequence.

There are consequences however as this woman learned. Life is not consequence free. Un-masking the anonymous here would demonstrate that easily.

Unlike this, Facebook puts faces on that careless and often hate-filled commentary and yields the consequences it deserves.

I disagree with you Gary that what she posted is bigotry. She is referring to a specific group of "young black males" that had committed the crimes she listed, not the entire population.

How would you describe the values of the "young men" she is referring to?
  • Plan SeaPlan Sea Posts: 5,453 Officer

What accuracy, the shooters have not been found so there is nothing to dispute.

She speculated with racism with out a stich of evidence supporting her claims.

What if it turns out it was some white kids from good homes.

Justified termination.
    they make missiles not bombs...

Raytheon does indeed make bombs.

Since Ratheon doesnt make bombs, retract this lie.

Conservative math- A Prius pays $7.84 per mile traveled, a truck $15.20. The Prius is paying proportionately more, period! over an equal amount of distance.
    I disagree with you Gary that what she posted is bigotry. She is referring to a specific group of "young black males" that had committed the crimes she listed, not the entire population.

How would you describe the values of the "young men" she is referring to?

Which young black males, specifically? How many were in the group? Have they been arrested? What are their names? What crimes did they commit?

I would not describe them or anyone else, because I cannot answer any of those questions.

There are those, like you I guess, who eagerly assign racially charged stereotypes without the benefit of those answers, and who prefer to replace them with personal fantasy affirming your own biased narrative.

There is nothing wrong with that excepting maybe exposing it to school children in class. Which I'm pretty certain would yield a similar result.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 19,392 AG
    More of a stereotype than racism.
    :rolleyes

• Plan SeaPlan Sea Posts: 5,453 Officer

Reporter concluded she saw her comments as racist in nature.
    they make missiles not bombs...

Raytheon does indeed make bombs.

Since Ratheon doesnt make bombs, retract this lie.

Conservative math- A Prius pays $7.84 per mile traveled, a truck $15.20. The Prius is paying proportionately more, period! over an equal amount of distance.
    Political correctness mandates one ignore the truth.
    Deo Vindice
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,444 AG

If there wasn't a large degree of truths in stereotyping then it would cease to be a stereotype. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    If there wasn't a large degree of truths in stereotyping then it would cease to be a stereotype. :grin
    “There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” :willynilly

Jessie Jackson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    “There is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved.” :willynilly

Jessie Jackson

Not sure why you think this is relevant to this thread? Can you explain?
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,024 Captain

Interesting.

In your zeal to slam him for stereotyping, you stereotyped him.

Personally, I feel the reporter was wrong in posting her comments on the Station Facebook page.

But, was her general premise wrong?

All of the victims shot were black. It's already being speculated by law enforcement that this was an ordered revenge shooting, because one of the men shot had supposedly been linked to being the trigger man at an earlier shooting.

One young black man currently being questioned was just arrested on standing charges, and was top dog on the area most wanted list.

Based on what the reporter said in her post, all of the checkpoints she noted are already known factors in crime, particularly black on black crime. Her mistakes were "offending" overly sensitive racial sentiments, and using the Station Facebook page or Sociial Media in general to voice her thoughts.
    riverdiver wrote: »
    Interesting.

In your zeal to slam him for stereotyping, you stereotyped him..

:grin

It is amusing that some seem to think I am, or should be, ashamed or embarrassed to be labeled a racist. I am neither ashamed nor embarrassed so call what you like... I am convienced negroes are inferior to caucasians but that does not make me a racist but rather a realist.

Not sure why you think this is relevant to this thread? Can you explain?

She simply quoted facts and told the truth the squeamish and politically correct doesn't want to hear. Not sure I can dumb it down any further for you? :shrug
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    She simply quoted facts and told the truth...

:huh Which young black males, specifically? How many were in the group? Have they been arrested? What are their names? What crimes did they commit?

Those would be facts. She offered none, but instead offered a racial stereotype. She was fired for irresponsible journalism in confusing the two.

She is not alone in that confusion, it appears.