Recent Fishing Exploits

Been fishing backwaters of the LMR as of late. Catching 15-20 fish per outing, but no real size. Small snook, some decent trout with a couple over 20 and a small red here and there. Went down to Joe's Island one day. Beautiful area. I just can't seem to catch anything with any size. The snook that did have some size broke my hook. Just trout and snook for me there.

Also hit the Kitchen last week. Super clear and low water. Worked it hard for 4 hours and nary a strike. Came back into the river and caught 2 small snook off of docks and a 24" red. Unfortunately, I lost another monster snook on the Alafia. Working my spook by the point of a rock wall and it got destroyed. Set the hook and it was on, but only for a few seconds. She surfaced, rolled and went straight back to the rocky point and broke me off. Had to be another one pushing 40".

A buddy also took me over to Maximo. That is a fishy area. We hit Pinellas Point and I caught a couple of snook off docks. One was 25". Dolphin following us so we hit Tarpon Key. There are lots of good trout over there. Almost every one we caught was slot or better with a few over 20". Incoming tide was key. The bigger trout came on the spook jr. We then hit Fort D and I caught a couple of reds and one was 24". That was a good day.

Today I launched out of CRB about 12:30pm. I knew the wind was going to be up and it was a constant 15-20mph. Water temps were 72-76. Water was clear and low, but coming in. Got to my spot and I catch a couple of dink trout and a small 18" snook. Started working windy banks and normally this particular bank is a snook bank. Cast out my mullet in mullet color and it got crushed at 1:35pm. Set the hook and felt good weight. She stayed down and I knew it was a red. She made a number of drag-screaming runs and used the boat for cover when that didn't work. Finally got her in the net and she came in at healthy 27 3/4". Best red in a while.

Caught a trout just over slot at 1:57pm. Caught a nice 20 1/2" trout at 2:39pm. Lost a trout and a small snook at the boat before boating a dink snook at 3:37pm. Another small snook at 4pm. Every fish I caught was on windy banks. Did catch a couple of snook on calm banks, but shade was key there. Another small snook at 4:22pm. Eight minutes later another small snook. Caught another small snook on the next cast. Another one at 5:05pm. Ditto at 5:37pm. Caught a rat red on the next cast. Caught the best snook of the day (20 1/2") at 6:02pm in the shade of the shallows. Another small snook at 6:36pm...again in the shade. The final fish of the day was another small snook at 6:50pm. I fished a bit longer and headed for the ramp. It was a pretty good day given the conditions. The nice red made it all worthwhile.

Final Body Count

Snook - 10 ( Best was 20 1/2")
Trout - 4 ( 2 dinks, 15 3/4" and 20 1/2")
Reds - (Rat and a 27 3/4"er)
Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release

Replies