Hammerhead want it to eat me or my fish,17 blackfin tunas and more

Hi guys!
I had a great day in the water but also scary,the biggest hammerhead that I have ever seen came up to me I think because the fish smell,he pas under my kayak 3 times ones so close that the dorsal fin touch the kayak,wen I say big is big I have seen way to many big hammerheads but never like this one my 14feet PA look like a toy for him this fish was no less than 18feet.. here are some pics of the fin and the fish I caught thanks...

IMG-20160330-WA0010.jpg

*2016-03-30%2014.05.04.jpg

*IMG-20160330-WA0009-1-1.jpg

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    :hairraiser
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    That hammer was just trying to tell you to leave some fish in the ocean for him.
  • Billy9871Billy9871 Posts: 116 Officer
    Nice catch!! Great day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 274 Deckhand
    That is a bunch of fish. You didn't have any problems loosing them this day...
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Nice. Trying to stab the animal that's trying to feed itself. I can assure you that he's not trying to eat you and the plastic kayak. He just wants one of those micro tunas...If you guys want to catch bigger fish, instead of keeping those little things, use them as live bait. Wahoo candy, maybe even a marlin.
  • RickysreefRickysreef Posts: 394 Officer
    Its sad to see comments like this,quote if u have mental problems like maybe u a **** don't read all this it wont matter.

#1 for u micro tunas for normal people football size 2 to 5 lbs.btw there is couple nice tunas in there!

#2 is not nice and i'm not trying to stab the shark its just in case he bites the kayak,u talk like u know everything or u **** ut let me tell u u don't know everything the shark want the tunas not me or the plastic but if u search a bit u will see many sharks have bite kayaks before and they all HAMMERHEAD sharks they also don't target people but they have attack many people before like I say if u **** u don't know thing things..
    #3 I do use tunas for bait but I want it BFT with is one off my fav fish I even like it better that wahoo with I have caught wahoos before never a marlin...

well thank u for the tip about the bait i normally use small bonitos for that ..thank u for u cool comment mister I know everything!!!

Nice. Trying to stab the animal that's trying to feed itself. I can assure you that he's not trying to eat you and the plastic kayak. He just wants one of those micro tunas...If you guys want to catch bigger fish, instead of keeping those little things, use them as live bait. Wahoo candy, maybe even a marlin.
    Btw normally I don't answer this coments but i'm bored at work thanks again
    I'm not done its not legal to take a sail out off the water just for a pic unless u are in state waters the fish is over 63" and u are keeping him if u not keeping him its very harmful for the fish what u doing and if u keeping him the meat sucks don't kill sails please!
    WOW. Name calling. Are you 5 years old? I guess I hurt your feelings. I didn't realize you were so sensitive. Should I edit my post so that you can stop crying?
    Not really if the way u post it is the way u really think,,, is all good buddy,U didn't hurt my feelings don't feel bad but man next time maybe u want to ask I was not trying to stab the shark at all but he was coming hard on my like desperate and I have seen small ones biting kayaks this one would destroy my PA and maybe sink it and u also call my tunas,micro tunas LMAO like for u those are like bluerruners, the only positive thing was the tip to use a small one for bait with is a good idea,I didn't do it because I had some large pilchards down I got the 24 lbs bft on it,i'm not a new fisherman I been fishing all my live I don't know everything and really appreciate wen some one give me a fishing tip !!!
    You are correct, the way I worded the post was condescending. I was not intentionally bashing your post, just making a truthful statement. They're micro tunas. A 24lb tuna is a very nice fish. I would like to see more of them around. In a month or so, they will all be that size and bigger.
    Yeah they here already we cuaght 3 same size 29" to the fork!
    Rickysreef wrote: »
    Yeah they here already we cuaght 3 same size 29" to the fork!

Gotta get them upper 30's and 40inch fish!!! Those are the big ones!
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Ricky. I'm not pilling on here or maybe I am, but I need to speak my mind here. The irony of what I am about to say to a guy in a kayak is not lost on me. On some level it is impressive that you can peddle off the beach and bring in bunch of fish like that. Also, I realize that there is currently no limit on these tunas (or is it 10?) and other fish and that larger boats generally do more damage.

However, please understand that you are going to lose the respect of people like me who don't kill every fish they catch. If this is a legitimate commercial enterprise and you are selling the fish that is one thing, but if you are just out for the glory of the slaughter that is another. On a more practical note: I don't know how you have the patience to fillet those little ones. I threw five back a couple of weeks ago because I kept thinking about the effort vs. the size of the fillets.

Now that I got that out of the way, on to the massive shark... That dorsal fin is HUGE. Can anyone else corroborate the 18'? I know they get big, but that is close to the max. Even if it was 14' and aggressive, that is enough to consider a Shark Shield. I had a large bull or tiger tailing me in 30' of water off hallandale, but it never got that close. I have seen 12' hammerheads, but never had them come too close. Were you gilling (bleeding out) all of those tunas? I try to bleed one out and haul *** out of the area, but that may not work since the scent is still on your boat.
    Dude I don't sell then but I have a large family that likes fish I take fish to my dads house,mom house,brother house and my landlord with is a good friend that helps me a lot! I also have a food vacuum seal where I save the extra tuna I don't kill anything that I wont eat,I my have to make a video how I fillets this fish is extremely easy and fast the bigones are hard small one very easy,the limit is 200lbs on bft, now on the shark my friend got it on ones people what the shark was doing and how crazy he was acting people will know why I had the gaff in my hand!!!

Ricky. I'm not pilling on here or maybe I am, but I need to speak my mind here. The irony of what I am about to say to a guy in a kayak is not lost on me. On some level it is impressive that you can peddle off the beach and bring in bunch of fish like that. Also, I realize that there is currently no limit on these tunas (or is it 10?) and other fish and that larger boats generally do more damage.

However, please understand that you are going to lose the respect of people like me who don't kill every fish they catch. If this is a legitimate commercial enterprise and you are selling the fish that is one thing, but if you are just out for the glory of the slaughter that is another. On a more practical note: I don't know how you have the patience to fillet those little ones. I threw five back a couple of weeks ago because I kept thinking about the effort vs. the size of the fillets.

Now that I got that out of the way, on to the massive shark... That dorsal fin is HUGE. Can anyone else corroborate the 18'? I know they get big, but that is close to the max. Even if it was 14' and aggressive, that is enough to consider a Shark Shield. I had a large bull or tiger tailing me in 30' of water off hallandale, but it never got that close. I have seen 12' hammerheads, but never had them come too close. Were you gilling (bleeding out) all of those tunas? I try to bleed one out and haul *** out of the area, but that may not work since the scent is still on your boat.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Hmm I hope there are still some tuna left for me when I try this weekend. :rotflmao
    Personally I don't keep more than I need, one time I kept 5 BFTs and it was so much work to fillet them all I was turned off from keeping so many next time. On the other hand, I have a small family and don't build up friends' expectations that I'll have fish for them, so that makes it easy for me to say I have enough fish even if its only a handful. To each their own.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    I can fillets this tunas so fast so easy I have to show u bro! But my brother and landlord have to clean theirs not me mom and dad I do!
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    True atlantic bonito. Nice! The reg for blackfn is 10 fish or 100#, whichever is MORE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 849 Officer
    Glad you you had a great day Ricky, seeing a big shark swim around your yak will give you an adrenaline rush. I'm also glad your feeding the family and none of your fish go to waste, but as a sportsman, I feel if everyone keeps those small tuna, there will be no Jumbos to catch later. No hard feelings, just my humble opinion.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
    thanks timmcollins I would never kill a fish that I wont eat,yes this time I got 17 I have never caught so many in one day,now my frige is full if I go out small blackfins are safe lol will post the video now...

Glad you you had a great day Ricky, seeing a big shark swim around your yak will give you an adrenaline rush. I'm also glad your feeding the family and none of your fish go to waste, but as a sportsman, I feel if everyone keeps those small tuna, there will be no Jumbos to catch later. No hard feelings, just my humble opinion.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Hmm I hope there are still some tuna left for me when I try this weekend. :rotflmao
    Personally I don't keep more than I need, one time I kept 5 BFTs and it was so much work to fillet them all I was turned off from keeping so many next time. On the other hand, I have a small family and don't build up friends' expectations that I'll have fish for them, so that makes it easy for me to say I have enough fish even if its only a handful. To each their own.

What day were you thinking about going out? Also, where?

I'm game!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback