Home Off Topic

Lets see your rig

2»

Replies

• coldaircoldair Posts: 11,498 Officer
    Menzies wrote: »
    Yep, just had her renamed.

did you celebrate with another one of your thai lady boys party, again?
    169304.GIF
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,980 AG
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,500 AG
    Polar wrote: »
    nice boat menzies, if all goes according to plan, I will be taking custody of this sometime this year.
    cape_craft.png
    Just don't run over your foot again LMAO :p

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • GETBENTGETBENT Posts: 182 Officer
    Menzies,

What's the make, model and power. Range at displacement speed? Nice rig to steam off for undetermined periods of time on.
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Polar wrote: »
    nice boat menzies, if all goes according to plan, I will be taking custody of this sometime this year.
    cape_craft.png

Will you be comfortable overnighting in that cuddy?

If so, the more you do that the more you will get the urge to move to a bigger cabin. There is absolutely nothing that beats the feeling of sitting in a quiet anchorage in the evening with a adult beverage after all the day-boats have left and then first thing in the morning with a fresh brewed pot of coffee! Then you want to try out different anchorages and so it goes!
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    I doubt it lol, I hate cuddies period but for the price( install an ac unit at my aunts and get the boat I cant beat it.
    GETBENT wrote: »
    Menzies,

What's the make, model and power. Range at displacement speed? Nice rig to steam off for undetermined periods of time on.

It is a Grand Alaskan 53, designed by Art DeFever and built by Oviatt Marine. It has twin Lugger 174hp engines, 16KW genset, and three tanks totaling 1000 gallons of diesel. Her reported range is 2000KMs without reserve at 8 knots, but I have not owned her long enough to verify that. WOT for those engines is 2500, cruise is ~1700-1800.

That range allows me to do a month or two in the Abacos without having to buy expensive and risky fuel out there.

Plans (health and God willing) is to learn her systems this year, retire at the end of the year. Then in 2017 do longer trips in her (e.g. Charleston, Islands no further than The Turks (which the current insurance covers), The Keys and Dry Tortugas). Then in 2018 start The Loop. Take between one and two years to do that. A year or two at home, maybe with a trip to New England and the East coast of Canada thrown in, then do the islands all the way to the ABCs. That is as far as we are wiling to plan right now.

My personal dream of dreams is to do the Panama Canal, the Sea of Cortez, and the North West including the Inside Passage. But that is the pipe dream right now.
    That's a hell of a vessel and plan. Best of luck.

Do you have a backup generator? Even a smaller KW is a good idea in case of main generator loss. We've had cases
    of main generator going down, where the backup allowed us to finish out the trip.

Get real intimate with all the systems, my longest passages have been a week and there is always something to fix on the go even on a well maintained and well designed vessel.

Anyway, my boat is a 23 Dusky, but below is my pops ride down in Panama. We've had some great three generation adventures on it.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    Some great words for anyone that boats, GETBENT .

I don't care if you spend 2K or 2Mill a boat will need work.
    GETBENT wrote: »
    That's a hell of a vessel and plan. Best of luck.

Do you have a backup generator? Even a smaller KW is a good idea in case of main generator loss. We've had cases
    of main generator going down, where the backup allowed us to finish out the trip.

Get real intimate with all the systems, my longest passages have been a week and there is always something to fix on the go even on a well maintained and well designed vessel.

I hear you. Below is PASSAGE. We owner her from 2001 to October of last year. Did the Abacos multiple times, and SR Georgia and Florida. Kids would laugh at me as I was always fixing something when we were at anchor. We had an old Kohler genset on board that gave us no-end of trouble and I eventually put in a new Westerbeke and the missus couldn't take anchoring our without AC!

The power systems on SONUS, from what I have seen so far, is pretty interesting. Including a 12 battery house set up with a 4000W inverter!
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Some great words for anyone that boats, GETBENT .

I don't care if you spend 2K or 2Mill a boat will need work.

Agreed, all boats need work. It's just when you are hundreds of miles from assistance, you better have the parts and know how to
    get yourself moving again. Like any boat anything that can break at some point will.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 283 Officer
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Texas rig. June bug. Grape green glitter. Cain't be beat for them hogs!
    I mean boat / truck
    sonny wrote: »
    I mean boat / truck

He knows that.

Welcome to OT.

Everyone here is a comedian.
  • Keep on SpoolinKeep on Spoolin Posts: 1,361 Officer
    coldair wrote: »
    did you celebrate with another one of your thai lady boys party, again?

:rotflmao
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    Now this is cruising in style,

houseboat.jpg

Sonny, If you really wanted serious replies you need to move over to the boating forum. 
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers