Skyway Snook

Went to skyway on Saturday night 3/26, and fished for snook. Unfortunately they are only eating big shiners and won't really touch small white bait, I caught 1 21 inch snook and that was all for the snook bite. Skyway is stacked with big ladyfish and bluefish so if you're after kingfish thats the place to go.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 10,700 AG
    Went to skyway on Saturday night 3/26, and fished for snook. Unfortunately they are only eating big shiners and won't really touch small white bait, I caught 1 21 inch snook and that was all for the snook bite. Skyway is stacked with big ladyfish and bluefish so if you're after kingfish thats the place to go.

Right on, thanks for the report. I'd love to get over there and try for a King or Spanish Mack. Hoping the weather holds for this weekend. Do you mean right under the bridge itself or do you you head out into the gulf and troll?
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • HunterBrzakHunterBrzak Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Right under the bridge out of the channel holds tons of ladyfish. Troll out in the gulf for the kings.
    Thanks!
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • cseng123cseng123 Posts: 365 Deckhand
    Next time, throw a hook in one of those ladyfish. Big snook will eat them from what ive been told.
  • HunterBrzakHunterBrzak Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    They were big lady fish, pulling drag... But thanks for the tip !
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    cseng123 wrote: »
    Next time, throw a hook in one of those ladyfish. Big snook will eat them from what ive been told.

Agreed - break their back or cut their tails so they swim erratically. I've had snook eat them as large as a foot and 1/2 long but prefer them in the 12 inch range - bigger the bait/bigger the fish. Grouper will eat them too!
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • cseng123cseng123 Posts: 365 Deckhand

I know man. I didnt believe it when people told me a 16 inch tank of a ladyfish is great bait. I saw firsthand a 40 inch snook eat one this summer and that made me a believer. Trim up the tail and give it a shot!
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 902 Officer
    Live ladyfish will work for large snook indeed. Don't be afraid of putting one out you think is too big. I have caught a 60lb tarpon on a 24in ladyfish. Granted it is a different species but it is the same concept.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,014 Officer
    The ladyfish seem to be everywhere right now! Fished Clearwater yesterday and they were everywhere, big ones in the pass. We fished out by anclote at sunrise and ladyfish were along the shore. cuaght some nice 10"ers. kept some for cut bait later in the day. tried for snokk for an hour and a half nothing. tried spoil islands and no snook cruising, just some rat reds. No poons (that i saw) out yesterday either. Spawning trout have moved in. dirty water, winds and high pressure made for a slower day.

I thought that, by now, the snook would have moved out onto the flats and maybe even beaches. ? i have not fished much the past month (only 3x's) so, maybe just me...

I love watching tarpon bust on schools of ladyfish. I love it even more when they bust on the one at the end of my line...and jump right away.
    Weather looks crappy for this weekend. 2-3s and a moderate chop.
  • TarponOnFlyTarponOnFly Posts: 35 Greenhorn

Big Snook will eat big lady fish
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV468nQv4dw
  • razerrazer Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Big Snook will eat big lady fish
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV468nQv4dw

That's the pier at South Seas resort on Captiva. I'll be there in six weeks. Guess what I'll be doing!!