Top Ten Reasons to Home School

24567

Replies

  • JBondJBond Posts: 5,039 Officer
    LOL at this thread. Wasn't there a college in the news recently where the students freaked out and required counseling because someone wrote the name of a presidential candidate in chalk on the ground? Public schools are turning out useless humans that are scared of their own shadow. Maybe people should focus on the issues that plaque the government mandated schools.
    When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.

    - Frederic Bastiat
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    We homeschooled one of our kids for two years. anyone else?
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    We home schooled ours from 4th grade on. I know of many children home schooled and would put them up against the brightest kids schooled anywhere.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Spineyman wrote: »
    We home schooled ours from 4th grade on. I know of many children home schooled and would put them up against the brightest kids schooled anywhere.

    How old is the earth?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    Depends on whether you believe the Biblical account or junk science of evolution. Any other questions I can clear up for you?
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    Home schooling maybe a better option for parents that can't afford private school if they live in an urban area, inner city. The rural schools tend to have the more qualified, tenured teachers due to their desire to live and teach in their hometown. JMO
    My Favorite Smile Is Vertical
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 Officer
    Spiney just got a big fat F as a teacher.
    Spineyman wrote: »
    We home schooled ours from 4th grade on. I know of many children home schooled and would put them up against the brightest kids schooled anywhere.
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Depends on whether you believe the Biblical account or junk science of evolution. Any other questions I can clear up for you?

    Spiney's "junk science of evolution" doesn't even pretend to answer "How old is the earth?" Evolution explains the history of life on Earth - not the history of Earth itself.

    Spiney can't even attempt to deny the right field of science.

    Spiney has never been able to "clear up" his ghost & magic myth.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Depends on whether you believe the Biblical account or junk science of evolution. Any other questions I can clear up for you?


    No.

    What age do you assign to the earth in your homeschooling of your children to compete with the brightest?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • DancinGeneDancinGene Posts: 1,760 Captain
    Spineyman wrote: »

    Too easy, Spiney.
    Alinsky never said any of that.
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/alinsky.asp
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 4,508 Captain
    The MelMan wrote: »

    No, they are not dangerous
    . The National Education Association of unionized teachers hates the fact that homeschoolers as a whole do better on standardized testing than public/private schooled pupil because it threatens their monopoly on education. The NEA and their stooges will lie about homeschooling and dreg up any horror story they can find to make homeschoolers look bad. Homeschoolers are better behaved, more mature and , do better on testing than public school children. There are some colleges that actually give scholarships to students that were homeschooled based on that fact alone.
    Well, that unions doesn't like any kind of education than the public one is absolutely true. Also here they are against the private schools because the teachers are less easy to manipulate and the programs are not soft-censored (thanks to several teachers who "forget" easily some facts) as they want.
    Moreover the comparision of the student performances is a problem for the unions who have to support a lot of embarrassing public teachers tenured just thanks to "right" friendships and political helps.

    Anyway the question is different. The private school doesn't create socialization issues in the kids as home schooling seems to do and mainly the education programs cannot be entirely based on radical personal beliefs and legends. They simply soft-censoring some facts, like the public teachers do in the opposite way.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English

    My YouTube Channel

    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    They are stealing our freedom. Boycott political correctness.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    MGTeacher wrote: »
    Home schooling maybe a better option for parents that can't afford private school if they live in an urban area, inner city. The rural schools tend to have the more qualified, tenured teachers due to their desire to live and teach in their hometown. JMO


    Good points. My kids went to a parochial schools grades 1-8. Then public high school. Public HS for the one who started in IB was very good. The other son spent 4 years of HS learning nothing but somehow becoming a member of the national honor society. He spent his first semester in college taking prep classes. Both are doing well in college but IMO the strong Catholic education is what made the difference.
    If I didn't have the money I would have homeschooled my kids at least 1-6. I coached youth sports from 4 yrs old and up. I saw the difference.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    DancinGene wrote: »
    Too easy, Spiney.
    Alinsky never said any of that.
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/alinsky.asp

    Maybe there is a home school syllabus on employing hoax memes to generate anti-social prejudice?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,129 AG
    No.

    What age do you assign to the earth in your homeschooling of your children to compete with the brightest?

    Excellent question, I'd love to know his, or what his children would answer.

    No way you get a straight answer.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    DancinGene wrote: »
    Too easy, Spiney.
    Alinsky never said any of that.
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/alinsky.asp

    Try going to the book he wrote and quit relying on idiots to tell you lies to cover up the truth. Try Rules for Radicals, or Reveille for Radicals, then get back with me.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Try going to the book he wrote and quit relying on idiots to tell you lies to cover up the truth. Try Rules for Radicals, or Reveille for Radicals, then get back with me.

    Try looking at the communist manifesto also. All of which wants the same results. Destroying America and making it a communist nation.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Try looking at the communist manifesto also. All of which wants the same results. Destroying America and making it a communist nation.

    as does the Bible.
  • DancinGeneDancinGene Posts: 1,760 Captain
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Try looking at the communist manifesto also. All of which wants the same results. Destroying America and making it a communist nation.

    Did Alinsky write the communist manifesto?
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    DancinGene wrote: »
    Did Alinsky write the communist manifesto?

    No but he expounded on how to take down America, two different approaches to the same end.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Try looking at the communist manifesto also. All of which wants the same results. Destroying America and making it a communist nation.

    :huh Are you teaching your children that communists are trying to destroy America and make it a communist nation?

    Or are you teaching them that Muslims are trying to destroy America and make it a Islamic nation?

    Pick a meme and stick with it.

    How old are your teaching them that the earth is?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    as does the Bible.

    That is a negative there ghost rider. Our laws were originally written from the laws of the Bible.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Spineyman wrote: »
    No but he expounded on how to take down America, two different approaches to the same end.

    what does the Bible say happens to America - and what replaces it?
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    :huh Are you teaching your children that communists are trying to destroy America and make it a communist nation?

    Or are you teaching them that Muslims are trying to destroy America and make it a Islamic nation?

    Pick a meme and stick with it.

    They are two different regimes with the same motives who have pooled their resources together for the common good of their agenda.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    DancinGene wrote: »
    Did Alinsky write the communist manifesto?

    Now if you want to actually learn something pm me and I will send you some info. If not sit back and enjoy the ride.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • DancinGeneDancinGene Posts: 1,760 Captain
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Try going to the book he wrote and quit relying on idiots to tell you lies to cover up the truth. Try Rules for Radicals, or Reveille for Radicals, then get back with me.

    I searched and the earliest reference to Alinsky saying this dates to 2013. He's been dead since 1972.
  • DancinGeneDancinGene Posts: 1,760 Captain
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Now if you want to actually learn something pm me and I will send you some info. If not sit back and enjoy the ride.

    Why would I want to concern myself with your "info"?
    Your info generally lacks any type of basis in truth and honesty.
    BTW, I've already read the Communist Manifesto, however it was many years ago.
    Anything new and exciting concerning it?
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    Here is the complete list from Alinsky.

    * RULE 1: “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.” Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood. (These are two things of which there is a plentiful supply. Government and corporations always have a difficult time appealing to people, and usually do so almost exclusively with economic arguments.)
    * RULE 2: “Never go outside the expertise of your people.” It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone. (Organizations under attack wonder why radicals don’t address the “real” issues. This is why. They avoid things with which they have no knowledge.)
    * RULE 3: “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty. (This happens all the time. Watch how many organizations under attack are blind-sided by seemingly irrelevant arguments that they are then forced to address.)
    * RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules. (This is a serious rule. The besieged entity’s very credibility and reputation is at stake, because if activists catch it lying or not living up to its commitments, they can continue to chip away at the damage.)
    * RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions. (Pretty crude, rude and mean, huh? They want to create anger and fear.)
    * RULE 6: “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.” They’ll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They’re doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones. (Radical activists, in this sense, are no different that any other human being. We all avoid “un-fun” activities, and but we revel at and enjoy the ones that work and bring results.)
    * RULE 7: “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.” Don’t become old news. (Even radical activists get bored. So to keep them excited and involved, organizers are constantly coming up with new tactics.)
    * RULE 8: “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.” Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new. (Attack, attack, attack from all sides, never giving the reeling organization a chance to rest, regroup, recover and re-strategize.)
    * RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.” Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist. (Perception is reality. Large organizations always prepare a worst-case scenario, something that may be furthest from the activists’ minds. The upshot is that the organization will expend enormous time and energy, creating in its own collective mind the direst of conclusions. The possibilities can easily poison the mind and result in demoralization.)
    * RULE 10: “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.” Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog. (Unions used this tactic. Peaceful [albeit loud] demonstrations during the heyday of unions in the early to mid-20th Century incurred management’s wrath, often in the form of violence that eventually brought public sympathy to their side.)
    * RULE 11: “The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.” Never let the enemy score points because you’re caught without a solution to the problem. (Old saw: If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. Activist organizations have an agenda, and their strategy is to hold a place at the table, to be given a forum to wield their power. So, they have to have a compromise solution.)
    * RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Spineyman wrote: »
    They are two different regimes with the same motives who have pooled their resources together for the common good of their agenda.

    Seriously? You are saying that there is a global conspiracy composed of Communists and Muslims who are conspiring to destroy American and jointly turn it into a Communo-Islamic nation?

    And you believe that this fantasy qualifies you to teach children? :grin

    How old IS the earth, btw? Give me a number. Don't be ashamed.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    The Trump campaign.
  • DancinGeneDancinGene Posts: 1,760 Captain
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Here is the complete list from Alinsky.

    * RULE 1: “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.” Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood. (These are two things of which there is a plentiful supply. Government and corporations always have a difficult time appealing to people, and usually do so almost exclusively with economic arguments.)
    * RULE 2: “Never go outside the expertise of your people.” It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone. (Organizations under attack wonder why radicals don’t address the “real” issues. This is why. They avoid things with which they have no knowledge.)
    * RULE 3: “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty. (This happens all the time. Watch how many organizations under attack are blind-sided by seemingly irrelevant arguments that they are then forced to address.)
    * RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules. (This is a serious rule. The besieged entity’s very credibility and reputation is at stake, because if activists catch it lying or not living up to its commitments, they can continue to chip away at the damage.)
    * RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions. (Pretty crude, rude and mean, huh? They want to create anger and fear.)
    * RULE 6: “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.” They’ll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They’re doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones. (Radical activists, in this sense, are no different that any other human being. We all avoid “un-fun” activities, and but we revel at and enjoy the ones that work and bring results.)
    * RULE 7: “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.” Don’t become old news. (Even radical activists get bored. So to keep them excited and involved, organizers are constantly coming up with new tactics.)
    * RULE 8: “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.” Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new. (Attack, attack, attack from all sides, never giving the reeling organization a chance to rest, regroup, recover and re-strategize.)
    * RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.” Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist. (Perception is reality. Large organizations always prepare a worst-case scenario, something that may be furthest from the activists’ minds. The upshot is that the organization will expend enormous time and energy, creating in its own collective mind the direst of conclusions. The possibilities can easily poison the mind and result in demoralization.)
    * RULE 10: “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.” Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog. (Unions used this tactic. Peaceful [albeit loud] demonstrations during the heyday of unions in the early to mid-20th Century incurred management’s wrath, often in the form of violence that eventually brought public sympathy to their side.)
    * RULE 11: “The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.” Never let the enemy score points because you’re caught without a solution to the problem. (Old saw: If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. Activist organizations have an agenda, and their strategy is to hold a place at the table, to be given a forum to wield their power. So, they have to have a compromise solution.)
    * RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)

    You're absolutely right.
    These are the words of Alinsky.
    However, what you posted above is not.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,920 Admiral
    Seriously? You are saying that there is a global conspiracy composed of Communists and Muslims who are conspiring to destroy American and jointly turn it into a Communo-Islamic nation?

    And you believe that this fantasy qualifies you to teach children? :grin

    How old IS the earth, btw? Give me a number. Don't be ashamed.
    Try reading the Bible, you might just learn something along the way. I have already said on numerous occasions how old the Earth is.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

    II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.



Sign In or Register to comment.