03/28/16 - PE BLACKFIN TUNA

Left boat ramp around 9:00. trolled small feathers up north in 350-400 ft up to hilsborough inlet. Had 1 cutoff (probably a wahoo in 390 ft). great day on the water and plenty of action. All the tuna ate a small pink feather.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175

Replies

• holdemhook1holdemhook1 Posts: 168 Officer
    Nice catch. Thanks for the report.
    23 contender with 200 Mercury Optimax
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TommTomm Posts: 359 Deckhand
    Tasty ....great you had a chance to get out
    2016 Sea Hunt 225 Ultra / 250HP Yamaha

2014 Sea Hunt BX 22 BR / 250HP Yamaha **Retired**
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    Tomm wrote: »
    Tasty ....great you had a chance to get out
    Yeah. Got a little sloppy coming back in around 3

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,485 Captain
    :thumbsup

Pura Vida!
  • T-LUV2T-LUV2 Posts: 389 Officer
    Good job Greg! If the weather holds up I may be out there Saturday for the first time in six fricken months!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • FinestKindFinestKind Posts: 175 Deckhand
    Yesterday (3/29) they were in 300-400 feet outta Haulover as well. Hitting green machines and spreader bars.
    Len
    Finest Kind
  • 23T23T Posts: 149 Officer
    Great job....by far my favorite eating
    FinestKind wrote: »
    Yesterday (3/29) they were in 300-400 feet outta Haulover as well. Hitting green machines and spreader bars.

that's a chunky one
  • CaptainHeikoCaptainHeiko Posts: 131 Deckhand
    gsweaver wrote: »
    trolled small feathers up north in 350-400 ft up to hilsborough inlet. All the tuna ate a small pink feather.

Any chance you have a pic of the small feather or amazon link to the ones you used? I was trolling feathers all day last week in 250-400 without a single hit! I was trolling around 8knots going north out of PE to Hillsborough

After trolling for 4 hours feathers I switched to trolling 1 skirted ballyhoo, 1 naked ballyhoo (mono w/ weight) and 1 skirted squid. Trolled those south back to PE for about 2 hours still with no bites! Was going around 6knots with this setup or else the baits weren't swimming right

Got out around 9am and was back in around 4pm.
    Turtle Time -
    236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
    JKbIqtU.jpg
    i was trolling this:

Williamson Flash Feather Rigged Lure

and something like this, but in black/purple:

I trolled from PE upto Hillsborogh without a bite also, It wasn't until we were in 370 ft of water almost due east of the lighthouse that we got hits, and we just trolled back and forth in that area
  • seaplusplusseaplusplus Posts: 137 Deckhand
    gsweaver - thank you for sharing. Any trolling weights as well? Trying to understand how folks troll different types of lures.
    gsweaver - thank you for sharing. Any trolling weights as well? Trying to understand how folks troll different types of lures.
    No trolling weights. These lures have tiny little weights on them.

[QUOTE=gsweaver"........ we got hits, and we just trolled back and forth in that area[/QUOTE]

THAT is the key. Too many guys will just re-set after getting a hit and continue to drive away trolling blindly.
    When you finally get a hit after trolling a while, first thing to do before you even throttle down is hit the MOB button on your GPS plotter. Work that same area over and over again!
    "You never leave the fish to go find the fish".
    Len
    Finest Kind
  • seaplusplusseaplusplus Posts: 137 Deckhand
    gsweaver wrote: »
    No trolling weights. These lures have tiny little weights on them.

Thank you! Appreciate the info. Coming from flats fishing and primarily casting artificials 100's of a times a day on various flats, a lot to learn on the offshore/nearshore side of things.

Up in NJ we always trolled the following spread for school BlueFin Tuna....works just as well down here for Blackfin, Skipjack, False Albacore and Dolphin in these waters:

2 cedar plugs in tight off the transom
    2 splash bars just beyond the white water
    1 Green Machine on a bird way way back down the middle.

Here is a link for a killer splashbar...my favorite version is the 18 inch bar with green 6 inch floating squid:
    http://www.sterlingtackle.com/#!18bars/c16up

You can troll these small bars off light tackle and really have some fun with these small Blackfin!
    Len
    Finest Kind
  • CaptainHeikoCaptainHeiko Posts: 131 Deckhand
    FinestKind wrote: »
    2 cedar plugs in tight off the transom
    2 splash bars just beyond the white water
    1 Green Machine on a bird way way back down the middle.

Interesting setup, might give this a try. Couple Questions.

1. When you say tight behind the transform w cedars. Are we talking like 10ft? OR even closer like 5 ft, pretty much in the prop?
    2. The spreaderbars aren't too big for those little BFT's? Those skirts look pretty big, but maybe that's just the pic.
    3. What speed are you trolling at? I always had issues with spreader bars going crazy if going too fast, but normally I troll the plugs really fast.
    Turtle Time -
    236cc Key Largo - 200HP Mercury
    JKbIqtU.jpg
    Interesting setup, might give this a try. Couple Questions.

1. When you say tight behind the transform w cedars. Are we talking like 10ft? OR even closer like 5 ft, pretty much in the prop?
    2. The spreaderbars aren't too big for those little BFT's? Those skirts look pretty big, but maybe that's just the pic.
    3. What speed are you trolling at? I always had issues with spreader bars going crazy if going too fast, but normally I troll the plugs really fast.

I usually run the cedar plugs 10 to 20 feet behind the transom. Favorite colors are natural wood, red and white and blue and white.

Those are light tackle 18 inch spreader bars. The 6 inch squid size is not too big....they are just right for the Blackfin and most nearshore pelagics in these waters.
    Note that those Sterling Bars have a built-in bird in front which makes the bar splash even at slow speeds. You need to be aware when setting out the bar that the bird is right side up, otherwise the bar will dive instead of splash.

The speed depends on the water conditions. You want the cedars to be dancing under the surface, the bars splashing on top, and the Green Machine behind the bird leaving a smoke trail. Speed will be anywhere from 6 to 10 MPH, whatever is working that day. :)
    You will find that less throttle is needed going North with the current, and more going South against it.
    Len
    Finest Kind