Ever tried shooting "migrant" turkeys?

GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,724 Captain
I've tried my share of "on the fly" shooting after missing strutting birds etc...but yesterday was a first for high altitude shooting. It isn't something I'm very proud of, but when you are on the great ledge...you'll try anything just once!

Went back Sunday where my dad killed his bird on Saturday. The other bird was roosted in the same place as the day before. Unfortunately before the bird could pitch down and come to us, a Black Bear decided to come in and ruin our hunt by scaring the bird off.

So when the Gobbler pitch off his roost and flew across me I took a chance to shoot him like a duck...didn't work...he lives to hunt another day!

[video=youtube_share;B9C81kAcmTM]

Replies

• flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I'm two for three on birds that have taken to the wing. Missed on a beard swingin' beast in St. Cloud after he took to the wing after I whiffed due to a bad case of electric gun. But I busted a Tom after another miss. He must have a bad sense of direction as he flew almost directly over my head after spooking. Then a year later I capped a bearded hen when I busted her out of a tree mid morning.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • DropTine797DropTine797 Posts: 681 Officer
    I have done it in extraneous circumstances. Really had no other choice.
    It's hard to predict how a bird will fly the first 20 yards off his roost.
    Just know what you can do when the time comes and do it.
    If not, best not to make a poor shot and let him live another day.
    Seven down, Eight to go.
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,724 Captain
    flydown wrote: »
    I'm two for three on birds that have taken to the wing. Missed on a beard swingin' beast in St. Cloud after he took to the wing after I whiffed due to a bad case of electric gun. But I busted a Tom after another miss. He must have a bad sense of direction as he flew almost directly over my head after spooking. Then a year later I capped a bearded hen when I busted her out of a tree mid morning.

Glad I'm not the only one in the club then!

I also know if there is a bear hunt this coming season, I know exactly where I will be hunting. Have seen a bear in this same swamp every turkey season.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,001 Moderator
    I'm 1 for 3. Both misses were with my old gun. The sight's weren't very easy to acquire so it made it difficult to say the least. The sights on my 935 are near second nature to get lined up and I've hit one in the air and one running across a marsh. Both were very quick and awkward positioned first shots where I didn't have much of a choice. One bird caught me with my gun at my feet as I glassed the marsh and the other came in to about 5 feet and I couldn't move on him. We locked eyes and I swear his expression changed to "**** is that?!"
  • huntmstrhuntmstr Posts: 6,290 Admiral
    I've killed several that way. Shot one a few seasons ago that folded up in flight like origami. Just like all wing shooting, you have to track your target through the shot. Go back and watch your barrel movement. Your barrel stopped right as you pulled the trigger. That means you ended up spot shooting instead of following through... almost always results in a miss. Hope you get another chance on his Glenn.
    Bushnell, Primos and Final Approach Pro Staff. Proud member of the Fab Five, Big Leaugers and Bobble Head 4.

I had you pissed off at hello.
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,724 Captain
    huntmstr wrote: »
    I've killed several that way. Shot one a few seasons ago that folded up in flight like origami. Just like all wing shooting, you have to track your target through the shot. Go back and watch your barrel movement. Your barrel stopped right as you pulled the trigger. That means you ended up spot shooting instead of following through... almost always results in a miss. Hope you get another chance on his Glenn.

Yeah it was a hail marry shot for sure and I kicked myself for shooting at him. We probably could have worked around him and tried calling him in again.

I picked up another quota today for this area ONF and will try him again on the last weekend.
  • Fowlplay87Fowlplay87 Posts: 226 Deckhand
    Tried it twice as a better than decent wing shooter I feel comfortable if the bird is in range. I missed the first time I tried it as chuck mentioned followed through but hit a pine perfectly timed for a head shot. Second time I was successful as the bird actually flew within 10-15 yards of me I was standing and was able to put 2 shot in him bird flew a ways and dropped I guess because of the size of the bird I was under leading him and had 2 body shots in the chest in line with his wing. I do not feel they were the best but bird fell and was recovered. I would not advise just anybody to try it but it can be done my biggest fear is honestly breaking a wing or leg and losing the bird all together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,998 Captain
    Fowlplay87 wrote: »
    I would not advise just anybody to try it but it can be done my biggest fear is honestly breaking a wing or leg and losing the bird all together

I've only tried it once on a public land bird that was just leaving the ground after he busted me. Besides my fear of losing the bird like Fowlplay mentioned, I was also worried about ending up with breast meat that was full of shot and basically wasted. Seems safer to me to keep my shots limited to birds on the ground but that's just me.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I've only tried it once on a public land bird that was just leaving the ground after he busted me. Besides my fear of losing the bird like Fowlplay mentioned, I was also worried about ending up with breast meat that was full of shot and basically wasted. Seems safer to me to keep my shots limited to birds on the ground but that's just me.

You aren't mad enough at them, Rob!~
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,998 Captain
    flydown wrote: »
    You aren't mad enough at them, Rob!~

True. Haven't spent enough time on the ledge yet but I'm slowing climbing my way up to join you :grin. I will get mad at them this weekend if they don't play ball for my uncle LOL. This will be our 4th year trying to get him a bird.