Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Palm Valley Porkfest

Replies

• Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain
    Man, I had no idea there were that many hogs around here. Very interesting to watch how you trap them.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    Pour a little diesel on that corn they cant resist the smell!
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • Reel Mayhem TooReel Mayhem Too Posts: 1,332 Officer
    My buddy Jimbo lives on Neck road and had them root up his drain field, I was at his house and 10 turkeys came into his back yard while we were standing there. He's got some game cam pics of some pretty nice bucks in the back yard too, lots of wildlife in PV.
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,414 Officer
    Pour a little diesel on that corn they cant resist the smell!

I just might try that as the coons are working the bait over big time. I've tried making diesel hog rubs using carpet impregnated with diesel and that didn't work. A number of people swear by it. I even tried that with Kreso-that failed even worse.

I__00045-X2.jpg
    We baited for a few more days with the door tied open. Friday we set the rootstick and despite a lot of pigs in the trap overnight it was not tripped.

I_00188-X2.jpg

Bummer. So we rebaited Saturday evening but re-set the rootstick for a less robust set.
    I_00204-X2.jpg

Sunday morning my neighbor texted and stated there was some rumbling in the trap……
    I_00101-M.jpg
    She set off the trap at 0516 hours.

Heading over I see the door is down with one unhappy MEAN sow.

I_00279-X3.jpg

In the next two photos you can see this sow has figured out how to raise the door. She either was pushing hard against the door and then pushing up or she bite the rope and pulled down. Certainly shows how intelligent these pigs are.

I_00241-X3.jpg

I_00242-X3.jpg

P1040943-X2.jpg
    While this piggie may look cute & innocent I can tell you she was one MEAN SOW!!!

P1040948-X2.jpg
    Casey practicing his Hunter Safety

P1040955-X2.jpg
    This next batch will be turned into bratwurst

Moving forward: The game cameras are only showing 6 pigs left so we’ve left the door tied open for a bit and will try to get this next sounder. We’re only putting the bait well inside the trap now trying to get the 2 largest trap shy hogs to commit.

I__00007-X2.jpg

I__00030-X2.jpg

I__00045-X2.jpg
    The abundant **** population is not making it easy to keep the trap baited

I__00056-X2.jpg

Once we get caught up grinding we’ll reset the trap.
    Brian
  • ChillyChilly Posts: 516 Officer
    is it a large family unit of coons or do they slowly trickle in from what you can tell?
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 551 Officer
    recent article stated you need to kill 60% of the hogs on your land just to keep the population from growing! that is how fast they reproduce. throw out a bunch of strawberry jello for a few weeks and you will have the hogs 3 mi away coming to your trap.

Are you guys keeping the ribs? Reason I as is because it looks like you are fully skinning the hog and wondered if you did that to get the ribs?.
  • M4-TUNAM4-TUNA Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Night vision 308 rifle and a silencer and you would really have some fun. Just had some southwestern pork egg rolls for dinner. Mmmmm love some piggies.
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,171 Officer
    Ive got the .308 and .22 auto with night vision. .22 auto is the way to go with the coons!!!

• Stevie WonderStevie Wonder Posts: 76 Deckhand
    If you leave the feets on them coons I'll take em. That's if you ares giving them away.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,686 Admiral
    At least there are no BEARS in there.....yet.
    Chilly wrote: »
    is it a large family unit of coons or do they slowly trickle in from what you can tell?

Can't tell for sure but they are sure getting along with the hogs! I suspect that they come from all over. It's pretty wild (woody& marshy) where this trap is set.
    WildLines wrote: »
    recent article stated you need to kill 60% of the hogs on your land just to keep the population from growing!
    Are you guys keeping the ribs?

A couple of articles I read that were written by different state government agencies stated 70%. Regardless, 60 or 70% reduction is difficult to achieve that!
    M4-TUNA wrote: »
    Night vision 308 rifle and a silencer and you would really have some fun.

I have a simple nighttime setup with a black rifle and an illuminated red/green dot sight plus red & green kill lights but once you shoot one (non silenced) that really disrupts their pattern and they don't come back for a week or two. It is fun but not efficient at reducing their numbers.
    This neighborhood pig project has been a lot of fun but I have ta admit I’m beginning to become porked out as I’m at a point now that I have to buy another freezer. I still have over 35 more pounds to grind & stuff as bratwurst, another hog in the cooler to work up, plus we’ll set the hog trap tonight again.

This spring Kapn Skinny of FS NE forum fame introduced me to sausage making (thanks Kevin!). We processed a couple of deer I was lucky enough to get while deer hunting in February (NW FL) with him and I FA DAT (Trey) on Trey’s property (thanks A TON Trey!!):

P1040240-X2.jpg
    They put me on a great stand!

I learned a lot from Skinny, enough to want to take this on myself and teach my kids how to make sausage.
    With an abundant supply of pork coming in I got the sausage fever…….

P1040957-X2.jpg

P1040963-X2.jpg

P1040968-X2.jpg
    Although I caught a little HEII from the wifer over using this bottle of wine

P1040970-X2.jpg
    A little Taste Testing to make sure it’s “right” before moving onto stuffing.
    Kids gave the approval to press on.

P1040974-X2.jpg
    Neighborhood grown friendly Sweet Italian sausage

P1040979-X2.jpg
    Been eating the “tar” out of pork lately……
    Last night’s fresh Sweet Italian Sausage spag

After 4 days of baiting with the door wired up the smaller hogs are quick to enter but the 2 largest are still hesitant to enter-at least when it’s light out. I’ll have to modify the rootstick placement, closer to the door, to get the 2 largest hogs to “trip” it since they are not fully committed.

I__00003-X2.jpg

I__00008-X2.jpg

I__00012-X2.jpg

SUNP0016-X2.jpg
    Tonight I’ll reposition the rootstick closer to the door opening where the largest hogs are chowing
    Brian
    Looking good so far…. however a couple of sows look pregnant. I also learned today that a neighbor had their yard worked up a couple of nights ago. Might have to move the trap over there next.

I_00107-X3.jpg
    Pregnant sow?

I__000008-X2.jpg

I__00119-X2.jpg
    This is what we’re gunning for….5 at a time

P1040981-X2.jpg
    Been living high on the hawg lately……….
    On its way to become a Red Wine Braised wild boar dinner

P1040999-X2.jpg
    Trap is set…………………will update with more photos

Brian
  • TrapperTrapper Posts: 266 Deckhand
    I don't think I live up to my name so much anymore...y'all are some harvesting fools! Love this thread BTW. Keep it up!
    Well, it’s taken 3 nights to catch any pigs. On the 3rd night there were eleven (11) pigs caught in the trap…………….well…….really there were only 4 (but one was pregnant with 7 piglets). I’m fortunate to have caught her as the piglets were near term!

P1050032-X2.jpg

After the 1st night of not tripping the trap I reset the rootstick such that it would be easier to trip.
    I_000060-X3.jpg
    Saturday night: It’s amazing they didn’t trip the rootstick?

Interestingly there were pigs all over the trap. The next night the pigs managed to move the rootstick further down on the 2 slanted points such that it didn’t go off again. Just like before they stuffed the trap –how do they not trip it! The 3rd night I repositioned the rootstick by making the 2 stationary points almost vertical making it much easier to trip.

P1050018-X2.jpg
    New rootstick placement

P1040999-X2.jpg
    Trap is ready……………..

lone%20two-X2.jpg
    These 2 were caught over 2 weeks ago but squirted out of the panel holes. They’ve grown a fair amount in two weeks and won’t be able to get out next time

I__0012-X2.jpg
    Now there’s 3 ……………………

I__00037-X2.jpg
    With 4 pigs in the trap the rootstick was tripped and the door closed at 2108 hours.

I_00275-X3.jpg
    Two of the six not captured: another pregnant sow and a boar

P1050028-X2.jpg

last%20four-X2.jpg

P1050058-X2.jpg
    A Wyoming knife makes for faster initial cuts

P1050040-X2.jpg
    Infection and significant swelling of this sow’s right front leg.

P1050049-X2.jpg
    Front leg comparison
    As I was dressing this sow I decided to NOT butcher this sow. With an obvious full blown infection and throughout its fat & under its skin it had parasitic worms similar to what you can find in spotted sea trout. I’d not seen these worms in hogs before.

P1050047-X2.jpg
    Lots of ticks-most of these are Lone Star ticks. It’s a scary fact that the Lone Star tick can cause humans to develop an allergy to red meat. Current literature states Lone Star ticks don’t cause Lyme Disease.

P1050062-X2.jpg
    Chilling as they wait their turn to become sausages…………

The trapping continues………….
    Brian
  • ledslinger29ledslinger29 Posts: 837 Officer
    Nice work B! I don't anything to do with anything that causes an allergy to red meat. I'd dry up and blow away.
  • The MidgeThe Midge Posts: 481 Deckhand
    That meomi is good stuff (belle glos's cheap step sister) lol. Looks delicious man. Nice job
    that pick of the infection and ticks make me wanna :puke !
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
    With only two pigs left in this sounder and these two having been “educated” a bit I was thinking it was gonna be tough to get the last two pigs. The pregnant sow looks like she’s gonna download any day…………
    Hog snares and sniping are the next tactics in mind if trapping didn’t work.

Not to mention the coons have been relentless …………
    I__00016-X2.jpg

For different blocks of 25 to 55 minutes at a time these two just circled the trap but would not enter.
    I__000037-X2.jpg
    No pigs trapped Monday night……

Thinking that maybe an enticer would help motivate them to enter the trap I sprinkled Gatorade powder inside the trap and mixed it in with the corn under the rootstick. When I use Gatorade powder on new stands to attract hogs it’s well received and they tear up the area to get to it.

P1050117-X2.jpg
    Gatorade powder….it’s not just for Gators

I__00011-X2.jpg
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm….something smells good

I__00033-X2.jpg
    But still not willing to enter

I__00057-X2.jpg
    Unlike the night before the pregnant sow goes in

SUNP0083-X2.jpg
    She’s about to pop!

SUNP0041-X2.jpg
    The boar wants nothing to do with entering just yet…..

At some point during the night the boar does enter and he gets trapped by himself.

P1050072-X2.jpg
    This boar went 106 lbs and was Mean Mean Mean!
    I’m constantly amazed the spot welds on the bed frames to the hog panels hold up under their hitting the panels HARD!

P1050078-X2.jpg

P1050094-X2.jpg
    106 lbs

P1050089-X2.jpg
    Cutters and whetters (top)

P1050105-X2.jpg
    It’s just amazing the amount of parasites they have…..it’s tough being an animal in Florida!

P1050108-X2.jpg
    Bad ticks

P1050099-X2.jpg
    My neighborhood still has a couple of lots for sale……

Gotta step up the sausage making with 6 pigs in the coolers……….
    The trapping continues …………
    Brian
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,501 Admiral
    Brian you should catch them and put flea and tick collars on em, then turn em loose....when you catch them next time, no ticks !!!

Just sayin....

BTW, nice work on the exterminating !!!
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,450 Captain
    You could give Jimmy Dean a run for the money! I'm just amazed how many are out there.
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    I FA DAT wrote: »
    You need more Opossums.

Very interesting fact, sounds like the opossum could be a great friend of man and his best friend (dog). If you start a breeding program and sell them, we could stop using all the harmful chemicals on our best friends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I FA DAT and Kapn you both may be onto something.
    I can see Kapn Skinny starting his own possum bidness….Skinny Possums

Our home is already possum friendly…………

Possum%20test-X2.jpg
    My daughter with a little one. They can be cute when they are little………….

Possum-X2.jpg
    ……but not so when they’re older.
    Kapn Skinny….we’ll lease you some possums so you can start your bidness………..

P1030083-X2.jpg
    About to release a by catch.
    We caught the tar out of them this winter as we were trapping problematic armadillos

Trapping update:
    When the sow came around there was no way for her to get in as the coons already tripped the trap. Maybe Gatorade is working against me as I only put it under the rootstick-where the **** below is working.

I__00004-X2.jpg
    The trap was tripped around before 9 pm. Hard to catch em when the door is down. Darn coons.

I__10008-X2.jpg
    A few minutes late to the party

I__001045-X2.jpg

Brian
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,501 Admiral
    COONS !!.....It's always the COONS !! :cool:
  • MikeyflMikeyfl Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Great posts, very informative. I had no idea there were that many wild pigs around
    Final Update:
    After a few days of no pigs on camera we’ve suspended our hog trapping. Over that last few days the coons were tripping the trap and it’s been hard keeping the trap corned up with all the raccoons devouring it (I’d note that even soaking the corn in diesel the coons still ate all the corn). The final tally after 45 days of trapping were 14 hogs captured out of the sounder of 15 (5 boars & 9 sows –with one pregnant sow that had 7 piglets that were almost full term). Only one hog was not captured out of this sounder and this hog, a pregnant sow, has not come to the trap for a few days. In the game camera photos you can see her abdomen has dropped and her **** are extended so I suspect she’s gone off to drop her litter of piglets.

I__10008-X2.jpg
    Lone pregnant sow not captured. Note the coons already tripped the trap…..

Trapping has been a fun family activity and teaching my kids how to make sausages has been just as much fun. The last few pigs were worked up as bratwurst and they far exceeded how I thought they would taste.

P1040954-X2.jpg

P1050062-X2.jpg

P1050120-X2.jpg
    Trimming & cutting

P1050141-X2.jpg
    Initial grinding with 3/16” plate

P1050146-X2.jpg
    Sampling the bulk sausage to see if it needs any additional spices before stuffing into sausages

P1050150-X2.jpg
    Linking

P1050153-X2.jpg
    Sausagemeisters

P1050154-X2.jpg

P1050151-X2.jpg
    Beer brats simmering as we continue to grind & stuff

P1050155-X2.jpg
    Pretty darn tasty neighborhood-friendly bratwurst

Here’s hoping for a hogless summer for the neighborhood………..

Hoo Yah!!
    Brian
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,222 Moderator
    Great read as usual Brian !
    "You'll get your weather"
    Do the ticks and parasite concern you in regards to food quality?