Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Palm Valley Porkfest

The area around my neighborhood has a lot of hogs and they’ve again started rooting up more yards to include re-rooting some common grounds that the neighborhood just re-sodded from a previous rooting. Getting em one at a time isn’t making a dent so a couple of FL Sportsman forum buddies, Kapn Skinny and I FA DAT brought me a pig trap to help correct the problem. Thanks Skinny & Trey!

(I think it’s OK to have a little fun with your kids as you’re working on a neighborhood pig problem………)

After carting it out to a spot with some help from a neighbor the kids baited the area.

P1040364-X2.jpg

P1040366-X2.jpg

One hour later I went back to set up some game cameras and there already was a hog snacking on the bait. Looking good…..

After four days of baiting the hogs were comfortable entering the trap. With 3 different sounders and a couple of singles coming at different times of the day/night it looks like there are approximately 20-25 pigs.

P1040832-X2.jpg

SUNP0113-X2.jpg

SUNP0115-X2.jpg

SUNP0056-X2.jpg

SUNP0042-X2.jpg
This trap is open on the top and dere can jump out

PICT0035-X2.jpg

PICT0070-X2.jpg

PICT0071-X2.jpg

With the hogs committed to entering the trap the rootstick was set and the trap made ready. The idea behind the rootstick is that the hogs enter the trap and first feed on the two thick rows of bait (one on each side of the interior edges of the trap). As more hogs enter some get displaced off the large piles and one pig will find/move to the small pile of corn that’s covering the rootstick. As that pig eats the small pile it “roots” the stick off it’s 2 points of contact thereby releasing the door trapping them.

P1040373-X2.jpg
Trap & rootstick set

P1040834-X2.jpg
Rootstick ready to be tripped

Next morning:
As I started my walk to the trap I could see the door was down and as I approached the trap the 3 trapped pigs started ramming the hog panels HARD. The smallest of the 3 got its head and front shoulders out but became stuck. With it’s excited LOUD squealing a large pig ran out of the woods and charged the trap and I started backing off. The pig unstuck itself & stopped squealing and fortunately the pig (sow?) ran back into the woods.

P1040389-X2.jpg
3 hogs

SUNP0097-X2.jpg

P1040399-X2.jpg
Kapn Skinny & future sausages

A week later………….Over Spring Break my daughter & I spent a week in the Key West sailing an 80 foot sailboat so before we left I secured the door OPEN and while we were in the Keys my son kept the trap rebaited every couple of days…… now baiting only inside the trap to get them acclimated to entering without fear and concentrating their numbers in the trap:

I_00013-X2.jpg

I_00174-X2.jpg

I_00206-X2.jpg

SUNP0648-X2.jpg

I_00311-X2.jpg

SUNP0022-X2.jpg

SUNP0039-X2.jpg

P1040832

SUNP0090-X2.jpg

Now that the hogs are comfortably entering the trap…… the trap and the rootstick is set for tonight……

P1040836-X2.jpg

It’s 2145 hours as I type this and my neighbor nearest the trap just texted me to note that there is a loud ruckus going on inside the trap……………
HooYah!!
Brian

Replies

• Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    AWSOME!!!! I love it!!!
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 394 Deckhand
    Looks like you could use a bigger trap. That's bunch of hogs.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,762 Captain
    Wow! Y'all will be eating well

• MikeDeroMikeDero Posts: 92 Deckhand
    Totally awesome, nice job
  • minnowsnmonstersminnowsnmonsters Posts: 379 Deckhand
    That's awesome!
    Really nice pics!
  • I FA DATI FA DAT Posts: 553 Officer
    Monday at 8am. Brian sharing his wisdom with Casey.
    Pig.jpg 99.2K
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    Stupid question but how do you tell if a hog is "good to eat?"
    I have heard people try to "domesticate" and or "castrate" them before eating to make less gamey?
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • KnottyGirlKnottyGirl Posts: 76 Deckhand
    I have heard people try to "domesticate" and or "castrate" them before eating to make less gamey?
    The smaller the better, I prefer a Sal over a Boar any day. If your in a setting where it's possible i.e. a hunting club, it's best to trap the boars, castrate them, and cut a V in their ears to shoot at a later time. If waiting isn't an option either cut the nuts before he's dead or as soon as you drop him. The quicker you clip him the less testosterone gets released and the meat won't be as "rank", still tastes alright without cutting but quite a bit more gamey and smells like *** while cooking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,500 Admiral
    Mountain Oysters !!!

:cool:
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 551 Officer
    i need to get a trap like that, our hunting lease is getting over run with hogs. you have to kill about 60% of the population yearly just to keep the hog population flat...no way to do that with a gun
  • AustinDuncanAustinDuncan Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Nice hogs!! My sister and her husband love to hunt hogs with dogs if you need help getting more out of there they are always looking for places to hunt.
  • GuanagatorGuanagator MayportPosts: 449 Deckhand
    Yum.
    FishJax Charters
    www.fishjax.org
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,414 Officer

You'll have a good idea before you field dress it. If it stinks before cleaning it's suspect. After butchering if it still stinks - have low expectations. In all the hogs I've taken I've only had 2 pigs (both boars) that stunk. I tried cooking up the first stinky one and I just could not eat it-and I can eat just about anything. Tasted horrible and stunk up the house cooking it. The second stinky one I didn't bother to clean it. KnottyGirl is right with "the smaller is better statement" and prefer a sow over a boar. I've only taken one castrated boar (called a barr hog) and it was near 275 lbs and it was one of the best I've ever eaten.
    P1040219-L.jpg
    Brian
    The next set trapped 2 boars although the game camera photos showed that throughout the night there were multiple pigs in the trap but they didn’t trip the rootstick (I had set the rootstick in such a way as to make it more resistant to tripping).

SUNP0001-X2.jpg

SUNP0005-X2.jpg

2%20piggies%20trapped-X2.jpg

Walking up to them they are not happy campers. The black one broke one of the corner hog panel welds right in front of us.

P1040837-X2.jpg
    2 boars

P1040841-X2.jpg

P1040848-X2.jpg

P1040858-X2.jpg
    Kapn Skinny just texted me and said that these 2 piggies were turned into Wild Turkey maple sausages and that they taste amazing.

The trapping continues………….

Brian
  • THROWING STONESTHROWING STONES Posts: 197 Officer
    Pretty interesting write up especially with all the pic.s.
    Good Stuff Brian !!!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,211 Moderator
    That's fun .
    "You'll get your weather"
    These mobile sausage factories continue to oblige…….

I_00212-X2.jpg

I_00245-X2.jpg

SUNP0136-X2.jpg

SUNP0145-X2.jpg

SUNP0154-X2.jpg

Just set the trap for another round………………….

Brian
  • The MidgeThe Midge Posts: 481 Deckhand
    Wow.... All you can eat!!!! That's fantastic
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    Hawg heaven! Depending on what side of the trap you are on lol
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
    Trap was sprung at 0233 hours by a lone 88 lb boar. Two minutes before that there were 6 pigs in the trap but he chased them out. Certainly luck of the draw as to how many you catch each time.

I_00008-X2.jpg

SUNP0037-X2.jpg

P1040869-X2.jpg

P1040876-X2.jpg
    Interesting way to start your school day ………………

Trap is set again.
    Sea Snaker…..Kapn Skinny has something for ya…….
    Brian
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    Mountain man Big Bend!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I BETTER NOT GET NO MOUNTAIN OYSTERS !!!

:grin
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,669 Admiral
    Following along here and wondering, as I've noted you've some nice "toys" in the past, when the live cam and remote triggering for the trap will be installed?

I'd think you could fund part of the cost with subscriptions to the live feed and also find willing takers for the "capturies"........reducing the work some.:wink
    bswiv wrote: »
    Following along here and wondering when the live cam and remote triggering for the trap will be installed?

I'd think you could fund part of the cost with subscriptions to the live feed and also find willing takers for the "capturies"........reducing the work some.:wink

That's BRILLIANT Ben!!!!
    I'm not sure there would be many "willing takers" though....this whole process is NO FUN and all work! :wink :wink

We caught 5 this morning-largest was a 108 lb sow. Will post some pictures
    Brian
    Best set yet. The trap was tripped at 0349 hours by 5 pigs but prior to that it was visited by quite a few hogs but was not tripped. The 5 caught were part of a 7 pig sounder. All sows with the largest one at 108 lbs.

SUNP0008-X2.jpg

SUNP0011-X2.jpg

I_00021-X2.jpg

I_00030-X2.jpg
    Door about to drop…..

I_00031-X2.jpg
    Door down

I_00036-X2.jpg

I_00060-X2.jpg

P1040881-X2.jpg

P1040878-X2.jpg
    Interestingly, this photo was taken just as the brown piglet was about to hit the hog panel HARD. It got partially through and hung up but then squirted out & took off running!

P1040893-X2.jpg

P1040909-X2.jpg

We’ll continue to bait the trap but will keep the door tied open for a few days to cool the area down a bit. After which the trapping will continue.

Brian
  • Kapn SkinnyKapn Skinny Posts: 1,008 Officer
    I guess my processing isn't fast enough?

Somebody called for some automation to keep production up with the supply.

Thanks for the toys "B"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • southboundchickensouthboundchicken Posts: 711 Officer
    Wow big B that's awesome you guys are some trapping dynamos .... Let me know when the cook out is I'll bring the napkins
    My kids & I are still having fun with trapping the neighborhood pigs although things have slowed down a tad with the hog population decreasing in numbers and the remaining pigs not as comfortable entering the trap. For a week now we’ve continued to bait the trap daily but have the door tied open to get them calmed down a bit. The only hogs coming in is a single sounder of 4 hogs with 2 other pigs occasionally with them. On the plus side ……I’ve talked to the neighbors who have had daily hog sightings and even had their lawns rolled and they haven’t seen any hogs for over a week now.

I_00006-X2.jpg
    In other photos of this sounder of 6, the two largest have been hesitant to enter

SUNP0065-X2.jpg

I_00044-X2.jpg

I_000030-X2.jpg

With what appears to be a little trap shyness going on we’ve had to resort to some unorthodox strategies……..

IMG_2207-X2.jpg

SUNP0003-X2.jpg
    It’s a start…..

SUNP00008-X2.jpg
    15 minutes later and they seem to be heeding the subliminal corn arrow message

SUNP0023-X2.jpg
    Although the wrong varmints seem to have gotten the message too …………
    (we may be fueling another epidemic…..)

SUNP0046-X2.jpg
    These are the two that are hesitant to enter

SUNP0075-X2.jpg
    A lone boar maybe new to this arrangement

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhh…..the baiting will continue until morale improves!
    Brian