Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Garage - Fishing work zone

Would like to see pics or get ideas on everyone's fishing zone at the house.

I'm in week 5 of rotator cuff surgery recovery and am going crazy not being able to get on the water. I've turned my attention of what I can control and am getting ready for future fishing. I realized my workbench area is a disaster and I'm wanting to convert it so fishing prep days the night before are more enjoyable. The pic is of my current disaster and would appreciate any set ups or work bench ideas that have helped arrange your gear and pre-fishing prep.

On a different note, I haven't cranked my boat motor in over 6 weeks. I'm planning to hook up the water hoses and ear muffs to let it run while in storage. How long should I let it run? Should it just be at idle or should I "rev" it up for 30 seconds or so? Any other tips on what I should do to make sure I won't be stranded at boat ramp once the arm and shoulder are ready for action?

Replies

• livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    First off-clean it up. Take your time-if you don't use it put it in another corner. Make yourself 4 boxes-hooks, weights, jig heads, plastics/lures. If it's just you and the wife or one other fishing buddy(2 to the boat) pick out 4 rods and stay with them. Rerig every time you go fishing. Line lasts one year tops. Idle on a flushette is adequate as you just want the thermostat to open to allow the engine to reach operating temp. Oh yeah- if you are me it will look like that again in 6 months.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,667 Admiral
    Looks all to familiar.

Livebait nailed it with the part about it getting that way again in 6 months.

Only positive suggestion I have is that you do EVERY BIT of therapy they offer and then ask for more. And this too........exercise for the rest of the body after the shoulder therapy. Getting the blood moving all over, getting the heart rate up, and the slight additional movement ( Once it is okay with the Dr.! ) will all go a long way to making it right again. It's usually the people who don't do the therapy to the max that tell the horror stories......at least that's what it seems to me.
  • RickMRickM Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    I'm working on setting up a tackle storage/work area too. I want to get the rods up and out of the way, but i don't have enough wall space for mounting a rack. I've been thinking about suspending them overhead. I like the idea of separate bins for weights, hooks, lures, etc. and would also like something to hold line spools. Seems like I am always respooling or changing out a top-shot. Hopefully some folks will post pics of their uber-tackle stations and I can borrow their ideas!

With respect to the boat motor, my biggest concern would be the aging fuel. If you have regular pump gas with ethanol, hopefully you have an additive like sta-bil. The extra $ for the non-ethanol gas is well worth it imho.
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
    Here is our room. We are not 100% fully done yet but its almost there.

We are still trying to figure out what to make to the right of the cabinets for storing rigs/hanging tackle and things like that.

Also the top of the island is on a big piano hinge so the inside of it is all storage for larger items.

95154CFC-A3FC-4CA2-BBFD-584740F5D780_zps71kjanaj.jpg

4B10E2E6-DAE3-4135-A865-ADA7AF90F134_zpsct7kewrm.jpg
    Shut Up and Fish
  • PolarBeerPolarBeer Posts: 113 Officer
    Livebait - I definitely need to weed through the rods and reels. I've got surf rods, inshore rods, and a few for targeting cobia when they are running the beaches. Only me fishing but I usually end up with a buddy who "likes" to fish but doesn't really have more than a pond rod with shriveled 8lb mono LOL. How long would be adequate to let it idle?

RickM - Definitely agree with rods up and out of the way. Using peg board for the most part and it works OK. I need better lighting set up for rigging. And I need to keep the work area cleaned up. Trying to use it for general work bench / minor house repairs / and fishing set ups takes discipline to put everything back in place. I'm hoping if I can get a system and space that looks nice that it will motivate me. Only ethanol free in the tank for me.

Maverick - WOW. That space would definitely motivate me. I assume that is not part of your garage and your wife likes to fish?! Looks awesome. Is there a fridge with beer in the room? Maybe a wall TV? Looks great.

Thanks for the input...
  • sicksecbeamersicksecbeamer Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Maverick - you just made me and a lot of other people on here hate you lol

that is a awesome setup, even if you aren't finished, I'd like to have my own outdoor room!!
    Joshie Squashie :signs:machinegun
    dvafla.com Just about any car customization you want.
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    Maverick- mind if I just come and and lust? Awesome! Polar-I betcha Maverick has one spot hidden away in there he's got some stuff ain't worth a tincher's tootle but he ain't gonna throw it away.
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
    PolarBeer wrote: »
    Maverick - WOW. That space would definitely motivate me. I assume that is not part of your garage and your wife likes to fish?! Looks awesome. Is there a fridge with beer in the room? Maybe a wall TV? Looks great.

Thanks for the input...
    Apprecaite it, this is actually my parents place, I am just lucky enough to get to use it. But yeah mom is pretty cool, she has her area of the house and my dad and I get this space to do what we want with it.
    Maverick - you just made me and a lot of other people on here hate you lol

that is a awesome setup, even if you aren't finished, I'd like to have my own outdoor room!!

Apprecaite it
    livebait wrote: »
    Maverick- mind if I just come and and lust? Awesome! Polar-I betcha Maverick has one spot hidden away in there he's got some stuff ain't worth a tincher's tootle but he ain't gonna throw it away.

haha yeah there definitely are areas in there that are cluttered and need organization, also theres a handful of rods that havent been used but still get to hang around and we have no plans of getting rid of em haha
    Shut Up and Fish
  • waynowayno Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    My general rule for the boat motor is ( every 30 days run for 30 mins and never leave it ) Mine hasn't left the yard in almost 2 years but cranks right up..
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,667 Admiral
    Maverick wrote: »
    Here is our room. We are not 100% fully done yet but its almost there.

We are still trying to figure out what to make to the right of the cabinets for storing rigs/hanging tackle and things like that.

Also the top of the island is on a big piano hinge so the inside of it is all storage for larger items.

95154CFC-A3FC-4CA2-BBFD-584740F5D780_zps71kjanaj.jpg

4B10E2E6-DAE3-4135-A865-ADA7AF90F134_zpsct7kewrm.jpg

This is MEANER than showing off the hot girlfriend!!!!
  • SeaHunt1SeaHunt1 Posts: 191 Officer
    All I can say is DISGUSTING!!! Really hatin right now