Bahamas info

NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
This section is provided to assist you in where to find information. You should contact the Bahamian Officials for up to date information and regulations.

I also strongly suggest you contact your local NOAA - OLE Office and the FWCC before making a trip.

Department of Marine Resources
East Bay Street
P. O. Box N 3028
Nassau, Bahamas
(242) 393-1777
(242) 393-1014/5
(242) 393-1096/7
Fax: (242) 393-0238
Email: [email protected]

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/bahamasweb...e!Opendocument

Department of Customs
Thompson Blvd.
P. O. Box N-155
Nassau, Bahamas
Phone: 242 326-4401, 4402, 4403, 4404, 4405, 4406 or 242-325-6550, 6551, 6552, 6553, 6554
Fax: 242 322-6223
email: [email protected]

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/bahamasweb...256F260066B2E6 Last edited by Ron Messa; Today at 02:35 PM.
Ron Messa
Special Agent
NOAA OLE
Miami Field Office
My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
Special Agent Allan Coker
NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement

Replies

• NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    Posted by Ron Messa

The Bahamas – Entry and Permits
    The Bahamas – Entry and Permits*

Arrival

Entry into the Bahamas must be made at one of the official ports of entry, and the yellow Q flag should be flown within three miles of the port. Notify Customs of your arrival and no one should go ashore until pratique has been granted. Clearance must be done on arrival and Customs and Immigration will come to your vessel. Everyone on board must have proof of citizenship and fill out an immigration card (US citizens can present passport or birth certificate, a Driver's Licence is not acceptable).

Regular hours for Bahamas Customs and Immigration Officers are 0900-1700 weekdays. Officers are on call during holidays and weekends. There is no overtime charge.
    The Bahamas can be transited without clearing in until one arrives at a port of entry at a convenient time, but during transit one should not enter a port or go ashore.

Entry Fees

Entry fees must be paid by all visiting yachts (see Fees section below for details) and are inclusive of a cruising permit, fishing permit and departure tax for up to four persons (captain plus 3 crew). Each additional person (over the age of 6) will be charged departure tax.

Due to the concern of the boating community, the current fees of $150 for boats up to 35 feet in length and $300 for boats over 35 feet. This covers a vessel with three persons or fewer. The fee covers the cruising permit, fishing permit, Customs and Immigration charges and the $20 per person departure tax for up to three persons. Each additional person above three is charged a $20.00 departure tax (this tax is $18.00 for each additional person above four departing Freeport, Grand Bahama Island).

The Cruising Permit is issued for 12 months. The current fees are now valid for multiple entries during any 90-day period, which means that a vessel may leave the Bahamas and re-enter within the first 90 days of a Cruising Permit's validity, without payment of any additional fee. For further details see the Customs section below.

Cruising Permits

The Cruising Permit, form C39, (transire) is issued on arrival is valid for 12 months. The current fees now permit multiple entries during any 90-day period, which means that a vessel may leave the Bahamas and re-enter as many times as they like within the first 90 days of a Cruising Permit's validity, without payment of any additional fee.

Yachts may remain in The Bahamas for a maximum of three years, but yearly extensions after the first year must be obtained from Bahamas Customs in Nassau. Each extension costs $500 payable by bank draft in favour of "The Public Treasury". Procedures for the extension should be started before the expiry of the current permit. Letters of request should be addressed to: Comptroller of Customs, P O Box N.155, Nassau. The number of the existing permit should be quoted and a copy enclosed for reference. More information available by calling (800)327-7678.

The cruising permit gives permission to visit all other islands in the Bahamas archipelago. The permit must be presented to officials if requested at any port visited or if boarded by the Royal Bahamas Defence Force. The permit must be retained on board at all times until the cruise is finished, then handed back at the port of exit. If for any reason one is unable to clear outbound, which is not required, the permit should be mailed back from the next destination. Immigration papers should also be returned on exit.

The Fishing Permit is valid for 3 months. Extensions to this cost an additional $150 for 12 months.

There are no overtime or other charges. One should obtain an official receipt for all fees paid.

You can receive fishing permits from Customs officials at any of our 32 ports of entry. Fishing gear is restricted to hook and line and you’re allowed to fish with no more than six rods at a time.

On some of the outer islands, the customs officer may handle all formalities, but in Nassau and other larger ports both the customs and immigration officials must be seen. Officials should come to the yacht, but in smaller islands the captain will have to go ashore to find them. Crew must remain on board until clearance is completed. If clearing in at a marina, the marina personnel will call customs and immigration after arrival.

*I do not work for the Bahamas as such, this information is subject to change without notice. To the best of my knowledge, this information is correct as of the date of this posting. Last edited by Ron Messa; Today at 02:49 PM.

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?1599-Regulations-and-other-useful-info#ixzz448YPLcvx
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
    Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
    Special Agent Allan Coker
    NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,232 Captain
    You might want to carry a fair amount of cash on you too as the Bahamian custom agents will impose cash on the spot fines if you misrepresent your info. Saw a nice article on that in the BoatUS magazine this month about a couple that somehow miscounted the number of shotgun rounds they had on board and had to pay a $300 fine to the agent or face a court appearance.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.