fiberglass repair to livewell

My livewell is seperating from the deck and is leaking into bilge and is getting really bad I need a recommendation for someone in largo/st.pete area not a big major repair but want it done so I dont have the same issue down the road

Replies

• 2WayCenter2WayCenter Posts: 225 Officer
    Do you have decent access to the joint that is separating? If so, it is a pretty simple DIY and would be a great first fiberglass repair job because it is likely to involve very little finish work.
  • scootybscootyb Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    Ya I tried glassing it once and it didn't adhear to the gelcoat on the livewell it peeled off after it dried I researched it and it said to bring gelcoat down to bare glass
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    DIY, but use West's Epoxy resin, not polyester. Prep is 90% of what it takes to do it properly. Grind it down, then wipe the dust, and wipe again and again with acetone
  • 2WayCenter2WayCenter Posts: 225 Officer
    DIY, but use West's Epoxy resin, not polyester. Prep is 90% of what it takes to do it properly. Grind it down, then wipe the dust, and wipe again and again with acetone

What he said. If you don't have any areas that need gelcoat with UV exposure, use matt/strand glass with epoxy rather than resin. It is easy to mix, stronger and less likely to crack.
  • scootybscootyb Posts: 68 Greenhorn
    Ok will give it another shot thanks for info