Protected Resources, Marine Mammals, Endangered Species information

NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/protected_resources/index.html

Swimming and Feeding Marine Mammals -

The Marine Mammal Protection Act protects wild dolphins, and all marine mammals, from take. Feeding, attempting to feed, and harassment of dolphins are considered a take, among other things, and are subject to enforcement actions. Attempts to touch, pursue, and/or swim with wild dolphins may cause harassment. There is ample scientific evidence that these types of human interactions with wild dolphins reduces their fear of humans and changes their behaviors, resulting in injuries to the animals from boat strikes and fishing gear entanglement/ingestion, reduced health, and increased calf mortality. Illegal feeding also increases interactions such as dolphins' taking bait and catch from anglers and commercial fishermen and the animal’s association with man for food. These human interactions are also dangerous to people, causing bites and other serious injuries.

http://www.dontfeedwilddolphins.org/
My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
Please Stay Safe And Have A Wonderful Day.
Special Agent Allan Coker
NOAA's Office For Fishery Law Enforcement

Replies

• NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator
    My purpose on this site is to help everyone understand Federal Fishery Regulations and to provide information. Working with the Florida Sportsman is a collateral (volunteer) duty I asked for and enjoy; I will only give you an answer that I’m willing to put my name on and stand behind. Sometimes that means checking with other agents/offices in the area of concern.
  • NOAA-EnforcementNOAA-Enforcement Posts: 202 Moderator