Parking Spaces "Are you leaving?"

This is more me venting than anything else, but I feel a need to say that people looking for parking at the beach can be very obnoxious. I was bringing my kayak in from the beach and some guy parked right behind my suv -- where there wasn't even an actual parking space! -- blocking me from loading my boat.

That was followed by no less than 6 different cars asking me "Are you leaving now?" Yes. Let me just throw my soaking wet PA 14 on top of my SUV so you can hurry up and park. My favorite is the "hey buddy, can I help you with that", which is a passive aggressive way of saying "hurry up man"....Infuriating!

I really don't want to be that guy, but I think I'm going to have to put out a little sign that says "Not Leaving" or "Leaving in 20 minutes" or maybe "Never Leaving" or "Go Away!" or "Eat a D__K!"

Replies

• quatinquatin Posts: 595 Officer
    Bad day on the water? Lol.

Never bothered me that much. I just tell them "Half an hour" and continue on. Sometimes I can convince one to block traffic behind my car and give me space to load my stuff.
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    Fortunately I never have this problem because I park on a private lot and haven't ever had problems but I would just tell them, "No, just putting stuff in my car. Bye"
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,249 Admiral
    Tell em you have a guy on his way who gives you $20 every time for you to wait for him. But if they match it you'll move now.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    quatin wrote: »
    Bad day on the water? Lol.

Never bothered me that much. I just tell them "Half an hour" and continue on. Sometimes I can convince one to block traffic behind my car and give me space to load my stuff.

Well....I lost the master key to my car in the sand or ocean and had to call the wife to bring the valet key. So that didn't help!
    Tell em you have a guy on his way who gives you $20 every time for you to wait for him. But if they match it you'll move now.

I used to park cars in college. If it wasn't so blatantly illegal I would consider it. It would take the sting out of being politely harassed.
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 243 Officer
    Sometimes I'll take my time and load up while they are waiting and get everything packed up like I'm leaving and then at the last second go have a swim LOL.
    I'm not worried I'm going to hell for much worse things I've done...
    Still, it's really too bad there isn't more parking access for people. I guess mansions on the beach pay more in property taxes than kayakers and tourists.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 9,249 Admiral
    oarknot wrote: »
    Sometimes I'll take my time and load up while they are waiting and get everything packed up like I'm leaving and then at the last second go have a swim LOL.
    I'm not worried I'm going to hell for much worse things I've done...
    Still, it's really too bad there isn't more parking access for people. I guess mansions on the beach pay more in property taxes than kayakers and tourists.

I've done that in a Publix parking lot. Can't say it had a positive response lol. To put it mildly, dey mad
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    Sounds like you were having a bad day. The parking space thing doesn't bother me much but its funny to watch the look of disdain on people's faces when i finish packing up and then go back to the beach to use the freshwater shower lol.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • OReelyOReely Posts: 38 Deckhand
    "Hey, how ya doing? Listen, it's going to take me about a half hour to load up and get this thing secured so it doesn't fly off going down the road". Just smile and go about your business. Might take longer if they are sitting there staring at me.:grin
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 826 Officer
    My response: " Hey you want this spot? Grab the end of this and lift"!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Bimini15Bimini15 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Against passive agressiveness, I use agressive passivity. Slow down to a crawl and put a couple more quarters in the meter while the guy is watching...:)
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    It's also "that season" if you were in Dania. That parking lot has become worse and worse lately...and I'm a Dania Beach resident...

Spring break, Easter, the last of the snowbirds etc
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback