Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

White bait

Someone is spreading a bad rumor that the white bait bite is on at El Jo Bean. I watched 10 boats fishing the bridge today for 2 hours. All boats were throwing white bait and not 1 fish was caught. The bite has been slow there with the full moon.

Replies

• joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,516 Captain
    Spent the last two mornings fishing the upper Harbor (Gulf Cove locks to Alligator Creek reef). Very slow with the exception of a 31" cobia:mad and some small trout. Lots of large bait pods near the AC Reef. Few seen other places. Leaving the bridge alone until after Easter when :crossedthe pressure will slow a little. Good luck.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    Fished the same area today. The morning was slow, but lots of sight casting shots at big trout and reds with few takers. The incoming however gave us a slam, all on arti's. Rarely resort to white bait.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I haven't fished El Jo in a couple weeks but I heard from a friend who normally does well there that it's been really sloooow. Full moon and snook season really shuts that place down. I've never done well there with white bait actually. Weird.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Real VReal V Posts: 465 Officer
    Normally I see the same boats there with maybe 1 or 2 different ones from time to time. This happens 2 or 3 times a year after someone posts how great they did there. Except this time the fishing has been slow. Also this time of year the commercial netters come through there at slack tides and cast net the sh// out of the trussles from sand perch which they did last Thursday and Friday afternoon.