Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Replies

• mikeg32225mikeg32225 Posts: 567 Officer
    Nice
    What were you using for bait?
    Mike
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I've been watching Bill Dance my whole life! I recall a show he did with Blair Wiggins of Addictive Fishing fame catching supposedly his first big red in the Mosquito Lagoon/Northern Indian River a few years back! So sad those days are in the past. RIP - Mosquito Lagoon/Indian River.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • twobartwotwobartwo Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    What's with all the hashtag nonsense?? I'm sure there is a really good reason they shot the shows with Steve. Seems like a good guy to me so I guess I missed what all the hating is about.

He puts up the most informative posts on this forum. And I for one am glad he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • F1D2F1D2 Posts: 331 Deckhand
    What's with all the hashtag nonsense?? I'm sure there is a really good reason they shot the shows with Steve. Seems like a good guy to me so I guess I missed what all the hating is about.

He puts up the most informative posts on this forum. And I for one am glad he does.

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?217658-BILL-DANCE-SALTWATER-In-case-you-couldn-t-catch-the-shows#ixzz444aAaNbI

It's complicated but Morocco_madness (Steve) made the mistake of posting his early learning fishing escapades on a public forum with pictures and vid's. The result wasn't good to say the least.

It's just that some can't seem to let it go that he has learned (and made mistakes) from that and moved on. He is now a respected guide IMO and I would recommend him.
  • SpongkingSpongking Posts: 959 Officer
    Twobartwo. I'm with you. It is surprising the amount of energy that these guys take to start things on every post or comment he makes.
    I don't know what did or didn't lead to it getting so bad, but a ton of people on this forum get great info and make some awesome memories with family and friends. I fish inshore a lot and do well. Love it. And honestly I think I'm good at it. No pro by any means but I catch. So learning another type of fishing is super exciting to me. And Steve has helped me a ton. All I can say is if you're trolling on here for advice and have questions, don't let the hating keep you from asking about what you want to know. Chances are there are others with the same questions who will thank you for bringing it up. In the meantime, check out the episodes, learn somethin new, and holler at me if you're on the water. Love to meet new people and chat it up.

Me, my wife, and the pup will see you afloat.
    Kev
  • twobartwotwobartwo Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Bait and wait.... Doesnt take skill.and bumps his stuff just so it will be on the top.... Ill wait im sure i will be hated too. The sqeaky wheel gets the grease..lets move on.i mean making a living killing redfish and posting "just in case you saw a floater" .Redfish probably dont care if bill dance killed them... how bout lets not catch breaders just to get on Tv. I just made popcorn

So because people target species the way YOU think they should, you decide to rag on them?? Just saying, do whatever you want but people enjoy fishing differently.

So he used to post videos of him doing something unethical?? In this video he mentions conservation and in every posts he mentions it. So I'd say he's made up for any mistakes. Y'all need to watch Frozen and learn how to let it go.

And I'm sure be bumps his own stuff cause the majority of the time it's actually worth reading. When he posts I know it'll be informative. Nine times out of ten other people's post are just bragging, look at me. If I killed the cobia off the beach on Saturday and posted the exact lure used and exact coordinates used I'll bet you any amount of money it's a crap shoot if they will be there Sunday.
  • KoOkY MoNsTeRKoOkY MoNsTeR Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    People are going to hate on ya Steve , nothing you can do about that , behind every successful person there is always a group of haters trying to bring you down , just keep doing you and making great reports ... Guarantee that if Bill Dance called them to catch bulls , they would jump all over it .. even if it isn't there "style" of fishing ...
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    People are going to hate on ya Steve , nothing you can do about that , behind every successful person there is always a group of haters trying to bring you down , just keep doing you and making great reports ... Guarantee that if Bill Dance called them to catch bulls , they would jump all over it .. even if it isn't there "style" of fishing ...

Truth...
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    Keep it up Steve-good reports and I appreciate them. People used to love to hate one of my go to guys-Monroe Campbell.
  • F1D2F1D2 Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Wow, Monroe Campbell. Great guy, fisherman and loved his shows.

You are correct livebait!
  • knotenoughknotenough Posts: 936 Officer
    "Guarantee that if Bill Dance called them to catch bulls , they would jump all over it .. even if it isn't there "style" of fishing ..."

Probably the BEST statement made on this forum lately. Just like everything else us guys enjoy in life, we fumbled our way through it until we finally figured it out. Just a small list of things that come to mind.

Sports
    Pulling a trailer
    Backing a trailer
    sex
    fishing
    anchoring
    tieing knots
    marriage
    driving a car
    driving a boat

I am sure there are MANY more things and if we all posted those "mistakes" there will certainly be someone that will laugh at us and throw stones. Not everyone can be born perfect, right?

:crowd
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,429 Officer
    Fished around Steve both of the days they filmed for those episodes and didn't see a single fish float by. The constant hating on here is getting tired, guys. Give it a rest already, it takes away from the enjoyment of reading these boards.
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,198 Officer
    Cast&Blast wrote: »
    The constant hating on here is getting tired, guys.

I think you are confusing mild ribbing with hate. #safe space LOL
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,932 Captain
    Busy busting tail on the water, don't come on for a day or so and this threads gone down hill with the same dumb ****. Here's a novel idea, don't like the kind of fishing I do, don't look. It's as simple as that. This thread was intended for those of us that can appreciate it. If you can't, go cry on FB. Nobody wants to read your negative garbage.
    I have nothing against the OP... However I would tell Bill that watching someone catch overslot spawners "and all the controversy that comes with it #floaters" after soaking bait on the bottom using offshore tackle for inshore fishing is extremely #BORNING!!!!!!! I would rather watch someone sight cast to a 12" drum any day of the week. Now that takes skill, not that soaking bait doesn't but Bill needs to know it isn't all about the size of the fish that drives ratings these days.

That would be your opinion, which is fine. Unfortunately, you don't speak for the majority of his viewers. He made it a point to call me and thank me last week. According to him, ratings were higher than his shows average. He's coming this June specifically to do the exact same thing. With that said, immediately following the shows airing, I've been booking a lot of Bull Red charters from people all over the country. I'm virtually booked solid with people that want to catch Bull Reds after seeing them on Bill Dance Saltwater. I have people coming in from Tennessee, Maryland and West Virginia this week alone. Just for Bull Reds.

The bottom line, what's boring to you, may not be boring to other people. A heck of a lot of people get a kick out of catching these "spawners". I make sure they survive and no, I don't let them float off and die. My fish are taken care of.
  • no peekinno peekin Posts: 802 Officer
    That would be your opinion, which is fine. Unfortunately, you don't speak for the majority of his viewers. He made it a point to call me and thank me last week. According to him, ratings were higher than his shows average. He's coming this June specifically to do the exact same thing. With that said, immediately following the shows airing, I've been booking a lot of Bull Red charters from people all over the country. I'm virtually booked solid with people that want to catch Bull Reds after seeing them on Bill Dance Saltwater. I have people coming in from Tennessee, Maryland and West Virginia this week alone. Just for Bull Reds.

The bottom line, what's boring to you, may not be boring to other people. A heck of a lot of people get a kick out of catching these "spawners". I make sure they survive and no, I don't let them float off and die. My fish are taken care of.
    Fact..Keep it up
    BIGFISH ROOFING. 570-1973. ccc1330441
  • DLBDLB Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Enjoyed watching the episodes Steve. And I enjoy the posts. I have put more than a couple good fish in the boat based on the intel you share on this forum. Keep it up.

Do a show and then book a bunch of charters from out of state because of it? That is a win. #economics #hatersdontbuychartersanyway
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 14' Lonestar 1955 - rebuilt 2015
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,507 Captain
    The bottom line, what's boring to you, may not be boring to other people.

this post got boring after the 2nd comment... old news but it did get a ton of views either from the 'controversial stuff' or from others who look forward to Morocco's posts....... wish I could catch a redfish like that one day :shrug lol

ROCK on Steve!
  • SnookMan772SnookMan772 Posts: 661 Officer

Amen Brotha, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I simply expressed mine! No need to get offended.... I would say that I'm fortunate that I don't speak for the majority of his viewers if they are from Maryland and West Virginia....:puke

No comment on the "floaters" I think we:Horse
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,501 Admiral
    jimmy06 wrote: »
    Forget the floater's. I'm still trying to figure out how those Mammoth cargo ships get in and out of the Ortega inlet. Lol

:rotflmao :rotflmao

Oh no you dinnn't.....

I thought I was hearing something different but the narrator said it multiple times.....that was pretty funny !!

I watched to make sure ol Bill didn't fall over board....:hail

...glad to see he made it.

:grin
    ...And for what it's worth....

MM is just marketing by posting his stuff....it's no big deal.....it's no more than some others....but it is what it is.

Sadly, gone are the days of fishermen posting up "roll call" reports.....and checking on each other at the end of the day. To make sure we came back in the same inlet we left out of.

...And giving current fish reports.....with exact areas to try.....not vague "shoulda been here two weeks ago" reports.....

Instead it's strife with pillow fights over the silliest of things.....which keeps most of the old timers away.

....Just sayin'....
  • Ladder ManLadder Man Posts: 1,198 Officer
    Plenty of info is shared via PM. Anyone who has ever sent me a PM for info can attest to that. The lurkers who don't even have accounts will overrun you if you post exact locations. I doubt anyone ever actually did that anyway.
    Sure we did....still do.....at least us old timers do.....I'll give you numbers and everything....

We share info and places and what we see and try this and try that next time, whats on the bottom what to look out for what they were biting where when and how.

If you ain't networked like that....you need to find some different friends.

....just sayin'....
    Nothing wrong with marketing a charter Business on a fishing forum. Even more so when the same individuals are giving up to date information that helps people catch fish. I answer PM's daily where people are trying to pick my head. I could be a ***** and tell em to book a charter, all the while not answering the question but, that's not the kind of person I am. Aside from my post signature, there isn't a whole lot of charter business advertising going on in my reports to begin with. They're just fish reports. They look the same way they did before I got my license. Only now, there are more details. I know for a fact that years ago, other respected captains posted reports on FS. The negativity ran them off.

The constant bickering, trolling, crying, call it what you will, is like a poison. It mitigates participation and has definitely hurt the boards purpose. Far as drama promoting views, sure, it does, but it also takes away from the fishing forum experience. Most people are likely on here to learn, or to figure out what's running or biting. Things like asking if the Pogey pods are around. Those of us on here for the love of the sport aren't here to log on and surf for drama. Watch Jerry Springer if that's more your thing. I would rather my post go to the bottom with little views or comments than see it turn into this.

The good news, business is steady and it won't be long before I can drop writing fish reports on here. I put up with the drama because the board has generated good business, aside from that, there is no enjoyment being on here anymore for me. Posting used to be a fun hobby but lately it's getting to be more trouble than it's worth. FS really needs to do some house cleaning and enforce the posted rules.
  • no peekinno peekin Posts: 802 Officer
    Well said Steve(and no I am not his spokesman)but have known Steve for a number of years and enjoy fishing with him a couple times a year if work allows,we have done lots of different types of fishing,and usually throw artificials if the time is right,fact is he is not FLOATING fish and respects the resources.I am sure most would say he has helped plenty of people out with very specific info more times than not,so leave it at that,haters gonna hate...Most of the negative posters don't even contribute reports.
    BIGFISH ROOFING. 570-1973. ccc1330441
  • ChillyChilly Posts: 516 Officer
    +1 for MM being open and helpful.

+1 for the unnecessary "ribbing" past being humorous as a negative and unwanted detraction
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    Nothing wrong with marketing a charter Business on a fishing forum. The good news, business is steady and it won't be long before I can drop writing fish reports on here. I put up with the drama because the board has generated good business, aside from that, there is no enjoyment being on here anymore for me. FS really needs to do some house cleaning and enforce the posted rules.

Actually don't think the forum is supposed to be free advertising but could be wrong...I appreciate the reports doe
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • sydngoosesydngoose Posts: 538 Officer
    The "floaters" comment is 100% IN-accurate.

Its called "propaganda". Just yesterday, I watched Steve bring a large female bull red to the gunnel. This was during a triple hook up. This fish popped the hook at the gunnel and floated out to sea. Steve brought in all his lines, released the other two, dropped an anchor ball and chased that fish, vented, released her back.

When he got back to his spot, someone moved in on his honey hole and wrapped his anchor up tight. Steve then spent 40 minutes finessing' the other fisherman's rode, unwrapping his anchor line and retrieved his gear and moved out.
    So, not only did he chase down a fish to revive her, he sacrificed 40 minutes to unfoul gear, AND lost his spot to a less than courteous angler.

So, save the hate because your speaking out of **** (and looking like a fool). Keep up the great work, Captain Steve. IF 1/2 the anglers out there had your integrity, this would be a different ball game all together.
    Ortega River, Jacksonville, Fl
    One life, Live it.
  • Susan YoungSusan Young Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    It's sad that people feel they have to tear down others on this forum. I've even seen them follow him to Facebook and make nasty remarks about him and even about his wife which is very much uncalled for. We chartered with Captain Steve and had a great time. We learned new fishing techniques that we still use to this day. Keep up the good work Captain.
    Living the perfectly imperfect life every day.
  • Reel Mayhem TooReel Mayhem Too Posts: 1,332 Officer
    Captain Steve of Madness Charters Is good people and I am honored to call he and his family, friends and fellow fishermen. Thanks for posting Steve, I would be ecstatic to have " The " " Captain Bill Dance " call me to go fishing, that's pretty cool bud. It's just a **** shame that your thread got trashed, that's just wrong. Keep doing what you're doin' bro and you'll be fine.