Best fishing this weekend around Clearwater?

I'll be in Clearwater this weekend visiting the in-laws. Can anyone suggest what type/where the best fishing will be? I assume the flats for reds and trout. But is there offshore fishing, 1 miles or so from beach, that would be better? Pompano or Cobia along the beach?

Just looking for the best opportunity to catch fish. Is Desoto Park that much better than the Largo/Clearwater area?

Replies

• jakejake Posts: 326 Deckhand
    Hopefully someone more local will chime in, but any time I am up that way and fishing I don't even bother wit anything but Honeymoon Island and Ft. Desoto. Not much desire to explore when those spots are so good.

I'd imagine they're pretty busy on the weekend though
  • Reegs941Reegs941 Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    crghss wrote: »
    I'll be in Clearwater this weekend visiting the in-laws. Can anyone suggest what type/where the best fishing will be? I assume the flats for reds and trout. But is there offshore fishing, 1 miles or so from beach, that would be better? Pompano or Cobia along the beach?

Just looking for the best opportunity to catch fish. Is Desoto Park that much better than the Largo/Clearwater area?

Fishing inshore is pretty good right now. All of the flats in the 4-2 foot range are holding some decent trout right now. Throw doa paddle tails. My personal favorite is red and gold. I've been fishing the latter part of the outgoing tide with some success. If you can find a pass or creek mouth with mangroves along the shore, smaller snook can be caught on the same setup. If you can get your hands on some white bait, your odds increase. Not to say you can't get fish on lures...
  • crghsscrghss Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Thanks everyone. Threw everything at them, finally hit on white Gulp jerkbait. Small reds, snook and trout around a mangrove island. Free lined pinfish but no takers.

Had blast thought, need to get too the west coast more often.