Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Anyone fished in Puerto Rico?

Jared DJared D Fernandina Beach Posts: 399 Deckhand
Hey all,
I am going to take the family on a vacation to Puerto Rico at the end of August. We will be doing a lot of sight seeing, but I want to get some fishing in while I am there.

I will most likely bring an 8 wt flyrod (although I have everything and can bring spinning/ conventional if that is better).

Has anyone been that can point me in the right direction. My kids are a little young still for a charter, so I am looking for more places to fish where I can catch anything. Would love snook, tarpon, bonefish etc, but will be just as happy with trash fish that pull hard.

We will be all over the island so any tips are appreciated.

Also, if there are any great charters, I would love to know about them so I can see if they would accommodate my kids. Also open to any tips on places to go, things to see.
Thanks for any help.

Replies

• trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    I have seen many a TV show where they are fishing that big lagoon right near the airport, steamy mangrove body of water with tarpon and snook. Maybe you could find someone to rent you a kayak and try that area.
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • CojerCojer Posts: 168 Officer
    I lived there for a short while, you will find 'sabalo' (tarpon) ads all over the n/nw/w side of the island. Don't leave anything important in your car if you go looking secluded. Better to just leave the windows down.
    Fishworks Proven - Family owned for 20+ Years
  • livebaitlivebait Posts: 793 Officer
    Do yourself a favor- go enjoy the family and the sights. From experience, too hard to tie the two together.
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,763 Captain
    Cojer wrote: »
    Don't leave anything important in your car if you go looking secluded. Better to just leave the windows down.

I lived there too, and they will take all of your stuff. :machinegun

• Jared DJared D Fernandina Beach Posts: 399 Deckhand
    I lived there too, and they will take all of your stuff. :machinegun

Thank you all. I don't know how much I will get to go, but hope to do some. That said, the tips about the car getting broken into is helpful, and leads me more towards forgetting the fishing as Livebait said.
  • southboundchickensouthboundchicken Posts: 711 Officer
    You could drive to south Florida and get the same experience.... Lol
  • thumperdumperthumperdumper Posts: 374 Deckhand
    ^ what he said
  • natural anglernatural angler Posts: 275 Deckhand
    I did some work out there and was flying there for weeks at a time. I took a charter with a guy who specialized in free style jig fishing. we targeted wahoo but did not get one. we did how ever load up on all kinds of other fish, some tuna, snapper, grouper etc. was a good time.

www.magurofishing.com

it was a long drive across the island as I was in the san juan area but was worth it. I stayed at a lodge out there for one night and he picked me up at like 4am the next day. good dudes and good fisherman. really nice boats. he has two. we used his cat but his CC is a beast. he has really good equipment although I packed in my typical couple jigging rods and 30lb pack of jigs.