Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

St. Johns Spring Time Report

Spring is here and so are the reds, trout, and flatties in the St. John's. Thanks to daylight savings, I've been able to spend more time on the water and it has been time well spent. I've had the best luck fishing the end of the incoming and beginning of the outgoing. My lure of choice has been the slayer jigs on a 1/4 oz jig head but I switch up the weight depending on tide. The trout have also been loving the rapala xraps. I like to use hogleg mullet on a jig head or weight and swivel to target the bigger reds. My girlfriend caught her first redfish last week, a 30" stud! The trout are sitting on the deeper drop offs near structure with plenty of tidal flow. I haven't found any gators but the teens still put up good fights on light tackle. The overslot reds have been in 10-15ft depth near docks and rocky structures. Yesterday, trouttrouserman and I found some specks and flounders on a little sandbar in 3ft deep water. Gotta love this time of year, awesome weather and hungry fish! Tight lines

Replies