Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Need help for boat trailer service in San Carlos and Summerlin area

I am not sure what is wrong with the tires, bearings or what. The noise is almost like someone is using a power tool a block away. I had the windows down after using salt away on trailer and fresh water rinse and was taking to park in short term storage. I am a novice at this, I looked at the tires and dont see any grease or oil spill. But when I grabbed tires and move to see if I head a noise, seem like too much play in the wheel and did hear slight noise then. Slightly different in other wheel. I have to make 1400 mile trip in a few weeks and hope to find reliable help. I have Ranger Trailer and I saw that San Carlos Marine no long is a dealer for them. The trailer is just 2 weeks out of warranty. Hope I can get few suggestions for Fort Myers Beach or Fort Myers area. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Replies

• RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    coach76 wrote: »
    I am not sure what is wrong with the tires, bearings or what. The noise is almost like someone is using a power tool a block away. I had the windows down after using salt away on trailer and fresh water rinse and was taking to park in short term storage. I am a novice at this, I looked at the tires and dont see any grease or oil spill. But when I grabbed tires and move to see if I head a noise, seem like too much play in the wheel and did hear slight noise then. Slightly different in other wheel. I have to make 1400 mile trip in a few weeks and hope to find reliable help. I have Ranger Trailer and I saw that San Carlos Marine no long is a dealer for them. The trailer is just 2 weeks out of warranty. Hope I can get few suggestions for Fort Myers Beach or Fort Myers area. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Jack it up and hold tire at 9 and 3. Wiggle back and forth. If it does wiggle then the bearing is loose or destroyed. Spin the tire slowly and fell if there is any drag. Remove the cap in the center of bearing buddy and check to see if the nut has backed off. If it has then the bearing needs to be looked at to see if it is damaged. Just take the nut off and pull the wheel off. It should also be full of grease.

If you have brakes and pads there is a spring clip on one of them that will sequel like a stuck pig when the pad is worn to the point of needing replacement .. it is doing its job and telling you.

Those are quick and easy checks.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • coach76coach76 Posts: 204 Officer
    Thanks for your help, I let it sit overnight, took wife with me, no noise and brakes work fine. I also drove past group of men and they listen and said zero noise from that area. I am still going to do as you suggest with the wheel. But as far as anything else, I will see if someone with knowledge can help and will try what you suggested. When removing bearing buddy cap what do you mean see if the nut has backed off, novice and need you to explain that. Thank you for taking time to give me a helping hand.
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    The axle with the bearings is in the wheel hub and has a large washer and a nut on it. It has either a cap on it or a bearing buddy which is a bigger cap with a grease fitting. There is a large nut with a cotter key or a device with tabs that prevents the nut from getting loose. The tab device is problematic and I have had one on my trailer axles back off several times. A cotter pin is a positive locking device and it never happens. If you have any play in the wheel the nut is loose or you have a damaged bearing.

Tighten the nut snug usually with channel locks. Just enough to pre-load the bearing a little but not too tight to cause any drag. Spin the wheel as you tighten and you will see it start to drag. Back it off just a bit and you are set.

This will show you everything:
    [video]
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Thank you for detailed reply, this is way out of my comfort zone, will have a friend with better knowledge to take a look a week before I head home.
  • OutdoorAddictOutdoorAddict Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Rocket Trailer is close and they do good work.
    thank you, will check them out after family is gone