Santa Fe Swamp, Lochloosa WMA

cbuckholtscbuckholts Posts: 91 Deckhand
Well this is my first year hunting turkeys in FL and so far it has gotten off to an odd start. I went down to Lochloosa WMA opening day and never heard a bird. I had the biggest hen I've seen in my life come right in to 10 steps and she never made a sound. She didn't call back to me or call at all. She looked four foot tall and walked like a ninja! We never heard a gobble anywhere and we scouted a lot and knew where birds were based of tracks and other sign. I talked to some other guys and they had the same luck, tight lipped gobblers. I'm heading up to Santa Fe Swamp WMA to give that a shot on Friday. I'm hoping to at least hear a bird. All else fails Saturday is opening day in GA and I know those birds talk back. If you all have any tips on how to hunt Santa Fe that would be great. I've never scouted it or even been over there but I figured I'd give it a shot in the dark and hope to strike a hot bird.
That matrix moment when the hook set misses and you avoid the treble flying at your face

Replies

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,802 Captain
    I might go out there tomorrow now that you brought it up. Gotta save my birds. Thanks for the reminder!
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • bluewatermafiabluewatermafia Posts: 540 Officer
    I went to lochloosa Friday morning scouting and Monday to hunt. Was south of the lake both days and never heard or seen a bird.
  • Stevo1111Stevo1111 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    I've spent about 100 hours in Santa Fe swamp this year and haven't seen or heard any turkey. Tremendous hog sign and rooting on the edge of the swamp, a few squirrels, and a hunter every quarter mile near the trails. If the water level is low in the swamp and its dry get out there with good snake boots and cut as far back into the swamp as you're willing to go. There's game out there.
  • Stevo1111Stevo1111 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Stevo1111 wrote: »
    I've spent about 100 hours in Santa Fe swamp this year and haven't seen or heard any turkey. Tremendous hog sign and rooting on the edge of the swamp, a few squirrels, and a hunter every quarter mile near the trails. If the water level is low in the swamp and its dry get out there with good snake boots and cut as far back into the swamp as you're willing to go. There's game out there.

Any luck at the swamp? Thinking about heading to my scouted spots there this week.
  • cbuckholtscbuckholts Posts: 91 Deckhand
    no birds anywhere to be seen, if you have some locked in I'd give it a shot. I'm headin back to Lochloosa. I at least know where to find birds there, maybe I'll luck into a tom
    That matrix moment when the hook set misses and you avoid the treble flying at your face
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,724 Captain
    Really surprised the old part of Lochloosa WMA has many birds left, but I'm guessing they get pushed out in pockets by the lake. Before they broke the original WMA up it was an awesome place to hunt. Killed my first turkey there and many people don't realize that Lochloosa WMA was a capture area for restocking other areas of the state back in the 60's-70's. Forget what book that was in, but Lochloosa was one of the last great flock of wild birds in Florida for a long time.
  • shempshemp Posts: 571 Officer
    Probably Lovett William wild turkey in Florida. Think they stocked most of the eastern seaboard out of Lochloosa, Jumper Creek and Fisheating Creek

Think Lochloosa got broken into the current WMA and a Rec Use area, losing access to several acres in the process. I think the Rec Use area is no more also.

Good looking woods, but not much acreage in the grand scheme and a boatload of pressure

https://books.google.com/books?id=EWdhPwAACAAJ&dq=lovett+williams+wild+turkey+in+florida&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrmKLBs-bLAhUEox4KHcBqDHEQ6AEIHDAA