Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

"Fishing With New Garmin" Homosassa 3/22/2016

We headed out at noon to do a "Sea Trial" with a new Garmin Echomap Chrip94sv. Gail said that she was tired of looking at my crossed eyes, caused by looking back and forth with these two units.
0322161921a_zps88zbdqlr.jpg
Had this combo for twelve years, so it was time!
Had a new belt and some valve adjustments, so that was also included in the "Sea Trial". Headed down the river, but if I am going to go out to 20ft, my Cobia arsenal is going to tag along.
0322161104_zps4ehprdec.jpg
Motor ran great. New Garmin is everything that was advertised and more. Man, I didn't know that there were all that cool bottom down there.
0322161613a_Burst01_zpsue2s6zdh.jpg
Was going over some older areas in 20ft and up popped a volkswagon size piece of structure. Looked like a cobia hang out, so in go the plugs and we started to work it over. First pass and Gail is hooked up. Nice battle and one of those pesky groupers gets his pic taken. Released with the spot marked.
0322161506b3_zpswtepuveu.jpg
Get set up again and go back. Another rod bending jolt and another grouper hits the deck. Back he goes.
0322161503c2_zpswssaslwn.jpg
Another pass and one more grouper hits the plugs. Another release. No cobia , so I tell Gail, lets go play somewhere else. Hit some cobia hang outs, but just not there yet. Water temps. were 67.5, so the conditions are here. Did see a lot of surface activity, so the bait has arrived too.
Sea trials were all successful. New Garmin is going to make my fishing a little easier. All ready I picked up a new excellent spot!!
Enjoy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Man those are some great gags. I was hoping to see some type of cobia pics.... Soon, very soon.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 617 Officer
    Great report, love the pic's. those pesky Gags look yummy. Glad the new equipment is working out.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Awesome sea trial with some hogs. Getting that drag warmed up for Cobia!
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,479 AG
    Don't sell the handheld, combo's would make me a little nervous, if it goes down you have nothing but a compass. Good thing about Garmin is you can download all your spots from handheld to computer to new unit. Might be able to go direct from handheld to mounted one with the right cable? :huh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    Nice grouper, nav is right keep the handheld as a backup, glad everything worked good.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,480 Officer
    Morning: curious what made you decide on the Garmin and not a Lowrance such as the new TI. thanks
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Don't sell the handheld, combo's would make me a little nervous, if it goes down you have nothing but a compass. Good thing about Garmin is you can download all your spots from handheld to computer to new unit. Might be able to go direct from handheld to mounted one with the right cable? :huh
    The handheld has a mount right next to the new unit. It's not going anywhere! My numbers are backed up on the computer on the Garmin program "Map Source". Transferred numbers to SD card, put card in new unit, numbers transferred to new unit. Really easy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    mburke001 wrote: »
    Morning: curious what made you decide on the Garmin and not a Lowrance such as the new TI. thanks
    I've always had Garmin GPS with BlueChart, so familiarity help in that part of the decision. On the sonar end, I once took a friend of Billy's out on his boat. He had one of the high end Garmin units. The traditional sonar detail was excellent. You could see blades on the grass. So, when Garmin came out with the Echo series with the new chrip frequency, I bought. After this first trip out, I am really happy. I have numbers that I know are good, but I never really knew why they were good. Now I can see almost every nook and crack down there. The groupers have no place to hide!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,584 Captain
    If ya'll did not catch cobia they are not here yet.

    Love my Garmins.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    Slacker wrote: »
    If ya'll did not catch cobia they are not here yet.

    Love my Garmins.

    Met B. Nast at CCA banquet last week and he had pics of nice Cobia caught that week! They are starting to show.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,728 Captain
    Nice trip Tom and Gail.

    Glad the Chartplotter is all you wanted, and more, as you had enough wait and issues in getting it to you.

    Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 936 Officer
    I've heard of a few cobia caught already, shouldn't be long before they show up in force!
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,735 Captain
    Nice to see those pretty gags!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,176 Moderator
    Nice shakedown cruise and ready for the Northern invasion I see . :wink
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Salt CrackerSalt Cracker Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Great report as always. That first gag had to of brought a whole range of emotions. haha. If the rock is showing on your graph picture, what is it that clued you in? Was the the wavy bottom showing in the middle of the screen or the rise showing on the right of the screen or both in this shot? Thanks!
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    Great report as always. That first gag had to of brought a whole range of emotions. haha. If the rock is showing on your graph picture, what is it that clued you in? Was the the wavy bottom showing in the middle of the screen or the rise showing on the right of the screen or both in this shot? Thanks!

    Thanks. Yes, it would be nice to at least keep one! When they open in June(hope), the weeds put me out of the trolling game. Already the weeds are gathering over good structure. That pic is of some rocks in shallow out of Homosassa. Just to see the unit. The structure that we caught those grouper on looked like a car on the sonar. No guessing, 6ft relief off of the bottom, with nothing else around it. Stevie Wonder would have seen it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    capt louie wrote: »
    Nice shakedown cruise and ready for the Northern invasion I see . :wink

    Yes, we are ready for the North Florida panhandle adventure! Pulling "RuffOne" up to Destin April 1st and staying in Navarre Beach and chasing those monster cobia. We are in two tournaments, the Cobia World Championship and the Bluewater Bay Cobia tournament as well. We will keep everyone informed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tohotimtohotim Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Ruff One wrote: »
    We headed out at noon to do a "Sea Trial" with a new Garmin Echomap Chrip94sv. Gail said that she was tired of looking at my crossed eyes, caused by looking back and forth with these two units.
    0322161921a_zps88zbdqlr.jpg
    Had this combo for twelve years, so it was time!
    Had a new belt and some valve adjustments, so that was also included in the "Sea Trial". Headed down the river, but if I am going to go out to 20ft, my Cobia arsenal is going to tag along.
    0322161104_zps4ehprdec.jpg
    Motor ran great. New Garmin is everything that was advertised and more. Man, I didn't know that there were all that cool bottom down there.
    0322161613a_Burst01_zpsue2s6zdh.jpg
    Was going over some older areas in 20ft and up popped a volkswagon size piece of structure. Looked like a cobia hang out, so in go the plugs and we started to work it over. First pass and Gail is hooked up. Nice battle and one of those pesky groupers gets his pic taken. Released with the spot marked.
    0322161506b3_zpswtepuveu.jpg
    Get set up again and go back. Another rod bending jolt and another grouper hits the deck. Back he goes.
    0322161503c2_zpswssaslwn.jpg
    Another pass and one more grouper hits the plugs. Another release. No cobia , so I tell Gail, lets go play somewhere else. Hit some cobia hang outs, but just not there yet. Water temps. were 67.5, so the conditions are here. Did see a lot of surface activity, so the bait has arrived too.
    Sea trials were all successful. New Garmin is going to make my fishing a little easier. All ready I picked up a new excellent spot!!
    Enjoy.

    NO Fish is safe... Great bi-catch!
    The FIRST Amendment...Sponsored by...The SECOND Amendment :USA
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Excellent info. Have been thinking about updating electronics. Thanks.
  • tony btony b Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I also just installed a 94SV and love it great detail.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 589 Officer
    Everybody got new electronics this year.

    We need to see a screen shot of the rock. With some lat/lon numbers for reference.

    First order of business when I move back at the end of April is to go burn a tank of gas checking some of my better numbers so I can see what they look like on the new sounder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    you are a fish magnet
Sign In or Register to comment.