Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pine Island Sound Fishing

Heading back to the area in Mid April with the family. In the past we have always gone in March and fished areas like Chino, Blind Pass, Causeway Bridge, and around the docks for Sheep's head. What kind of fishing is there in April? Are the same local spots still fish-able or do things change with the temp change?

Mainly focus on bait fishing under a cork to keep the kids interested. Or around the docks for sheep's head.

Replies

• whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Same spots will be good. Pompano and mackerel should be good then too.
  • AlloyToyAlloyToy Posts: 87 Deckhand
    I ordered a fishing chart for the area, and this year I'm bringing my GPS. In past years I've gone into this blind with my only intentions were to wet a line. Looking at the chart I didn't realized this is really no water depth in the sound, and hardly any structure. I'm use to fishing rockpiles, boulder fields, and wrecks here in the NE

So my question is what attracts the fish to Pine Island Sound?? Forage? Water temp? Salinity? I have caught Redfish, Trout, and a bunch of small rats in years pass. Just trying to understand the area a bit more now that we seem to be visiting the area every year.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    AlloyToy wrote: »
    I ordered a fishing chart for the area, and this year I'm bringing my GPS. In past years I've gone into this blind with my only intentions were to wet a line. Looking at the chart I didn't realized this is really no water depth in the sound, and hardly any structure. I'm use to fishing rockpiles, boulder fields, and wrecks here in the NE

So my question is what attracts the fish to Pine Island Sound?? Forage? Water temp? Salinity? I have caught Redfish, Trout, and a bunch of small rats in years pass. Just trying to understand the area a bit more now that we seem to be visiting the area every year.
    Food, and a viable area that holds food or has the potential for food to be swept through that area.
    A friend gave me one of those fishing charts. (Hot spots chip) i think. Honestly ive never fished any of the spots on the chart.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
    Darcy wrote: »
    Food, and a viable area that holds food or has the potential for food to be swept through that area.
    A friend gave me one of those fishing charts. (Hot spots chip) i think. Honestly ive never fished any of the spots on the chart.
    It's about all I have to go by as I'm not a local. What are those fish that jump non stop. Had them all around me last year by the hundreds up towards matlacha?
  • dbourbondbourbon Posts: 115 Deckhand
    It's about all I have to go by as I'm not a local. What are those fish that jump non stop. Had them all around me last year by the hundreds up towards matlacha?

Those would be happy fish aka mullet.
    dbourbon wrote: »
    Those would be happy fish aka mullet.
    How do you catch them? Edible?
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 746 Officer

Wow, no clue. You can catch them with a cast net. Good bait cut up.
    lukkyracer wrote: »
    Wow, no clue. You can catch them with a cast net. Good bait cut up.
    it's why I'm asking lol will sheepshead still be around the docks? Or is that over? Thanks!
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,997 Captain

As mentioned a castnet is the way to catch them. They're great for cut bait.

People do eat them but it's not my thing. Typically they smoke them.

Fish the edges where the grass meets sand(potholes). Overhanging mangrove shorelines with current are great for snook and reds.
    Binder wrote: »
    As mentioned a castnet is the way to catch them. They're great for cut bait.

People do eat them but it's not my thing. Typically they smoke them.

Fish the edges where the grass meets sand(potholes). Overhanging mangrove shorelines with current are great for snook and reds.
    Thank you I fished deep holes last year by sight only (not chart or FF) and caught some nice trout and Redfish fun but really didnt know
    I can't say I knew what I was doing thinking it was luck
  • whipachawwhipachaw Posts: 505 Officer
    Grass flats for trout and reds, mangroves for trout, reds and snook. Sheepshead may still be biting but not near as hot. Try all the docks and bridges. You will probably get snapper too. Mullet are tasty if fresh, bait if not. Most people bleed them. I put my thumb in their mouths with my nail towards the bottom of the fish and bend their head backwards to break their necks. They also have a gizzard you can clean and fry if you like gizzards. If the mullet are schooled on the surface and thick, you can snag hook them with treble hooks. That was great fun as a kid and once brought home over a dozen fish that way.
    whipachaw wrote: »
    Grass flats for trout and reds, mangroves for trout, reds and snook. Sheepshead may still be biting but not near as hot. Try all the docks and bridges. You will probably get snapper too. Mullet are tasty if fresh, bait if not. Most people bleed them. I put my thumb in their mouths with my nail towards the bottom of the fish and bend their head backwards to break their necks. They also have a gizzard you can clean and fry if you like gizzards. If the mullet are schooled on the surface and thick, you can snag hook them with treble hooks. That was great fun as a kid and once brought home over a dozen fish that way.
    Awesome Thanks for the help. Snagging is fun. We use to go snagging salmon on the spawn in upper state NY years back. 40lb salmon running with the river current zzzzzzzzzzzz POP :grin

We also use to snag alewives and live line them for Stripers......Bass candy

I'll get a rules & regs book when I arrive to make sure how we fish is in compliance. I already got busted last year and written up for having a beer on a picnic table near the causeway bridge while fishing:grin