Need cure for Skunkitis - Alternate Title - Yankee Capt 03/17 3 Day Mutton Marathon

With a trip or two being cancelled by weather, the boat under going major maintenance, and my decision to do a deep drop trip last month, it has been a long time since I have done a Mutton Marathon on the Yankee Capt. Like most others I showed up at 5 pm for a 10 pm departure. After checking in with Greg, loading my gear (with the mates help) and the obligatory visit to the Hogfish for a big glass of sweet tea and a bowl of lobster bisque (ok, 2 bowls) I spend the rest of the time wandering around like everyone else.

(Note: My picture taking skills are almost as bad as my fishing skills. but I figure a few bad pictures are better then no pictures.)

Jarvis took some ribbing after he showed up with the pair of Crocs shown below. Funny thing is that when I got home from a trip about a month ago, I had an almost identical pair. :grin (Unfortunately, I threw them in the trash)

Friday morning after a smooth ride to the Tortugas everyone is bright-eyed and ready to go but the bite is a little slow by Yankee standards. All day Friday was pretty much the same. A few mutton would come over the rail when we first anchored on a spot but the full on mutton bite would never materialize.

All day Friday there were some nice sized mutton coming up around me but by Friday evening as the sunsets all I have on ice are 2 small mutton and a fairly big yellow tail. At this point I'm not too worried, after all we have all the rest of the evening and all day tomorrow to fish. Right??

Ever wonder what the mates do in the middle of the night when there's not much to do? Brian must train birds!

After a few hours sleep Friday night (BTW: my luck didn't changed during the night) I'm up before sunrise and ready to catch some fish.

Even though the seas were flat calm, a few people still got sick.

Brizo watches over everything to make sure it is being done correctly.

Now for the skunkitis. As people continue to catch nice fish around me I begin to get a little PO'd. It doesn't help each time one of the mates comes from up front carrying a nice mutton or 2 or red grouper. Finally after what seemed like an eternity, I get a distinct mutton bite. I can tell by the way he is fighting and taking drag now and then that it is a nice one. I have it about half way up when it happened. He just stopped coming up and all of a sudden was taking more and more line against a pretty tight drag. Finally he stopped taking drag and I was able to retrieve the line without a problem. It was then when I realized what had happened. The taxman wanted his share. The shark allowed me to keep the head of a nice 12 -15 lb mutton while he took the body from the gill plates back. :mad :cry After a while we make a move and as soon as I get down to the bottom, I get a bite. From the feel of it I'm pretty sure it is a keeper grouper (if it's not a gag). As I start to gain on the fish and get it up away from the bottom I begin to think that I might have a shot of finally catching a decent fish. Then it happened, I felt another line. Soon I could feel something (or more like someone) pulling against my line. Before I can yell to stop pulling on the other side of the boat the fish is gone and I bring up a nice knife jig tangled in my line. Although I'm ready to snap, I don't say anything. After all &%$ happens. Un-discouraged, I put a new leader on and throw another $3.00 goggle eye out away from the boat. All of a sudden I get another strong bite and as soon as I start reeling I feel my line pulling against something as I start to play tug of war with whatever is on the other end. Almost immediately the fight is over and I am pulling in a slack line. The main line is shredded a good 15 -20 feet, with no leader, no weight, no swivel attached. Now I'm officially disturbed. As I sit down to re-rig, the guy fishing to my right starts doing battle with what turns out to be a 29 lb black. He is all excited especially, after the mate asks him if he is in the pool because this is the biggest fish so far. Good for him. All of a sudden one of the guys to my left starts cranking on something pretty stout. Eventually, the mate sinks the gaff into a 40 - 45 lb black. (My apologies Ralph, I had a brain fart and couldn't remember your name until Hoogan mentioned you in his post below) Again good for him but wish it was me. Then his fishing partner starts to do battle with a decent fish. When everything is said and done he has a nice red grouper. I'm OK until the mate asks who is fishing a snelled hook with a pink (Yourzi) fluorocarbon leader and a small (Spro) swivel because it was hooked in the fish's mouth. Do I even need to say what I was fishing! For the rest of the trip I manage 2 small muttons. Now I'm not saying I'm even close to being in a class with Jarvis, Caesar, Edurado, Dudley, Cameron, Art, or any more of a dozen or so anglers who always produce fish but I used to be able to catch a decent fish now and then. So I think I offically have Skunkitis. If anyone has a cure please let me know.

I can't end without the obligatory picture of the fish totes. I think there were 18 totes for around 34 people. Greg will correct me if I'm wrong.

As usual Greg and crew Matt, Brian, and Scott worked there tails off to make the trip a success. Sorry but forgot the new cooks name but she put out some outstanding grub for everyone.

Replies

• CJB11CJB11 Posts: 93 Deckhand
    The cure is to have sex with an ugly woman....aka a slumpbuster....LOL fishing beats working
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,407 Officer
    Slumpbuster lol. Hey Bob nice report. The cure is to book another trip and go again! Everyone has a tough trip from time to time but then luck changes and your back on the meat!
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 544 Officer
    Great report my fellow Sebastian neighbor Bob!
    I was eager to confirm my friend Ralph's claim of catching a 40-45 lb. Blackie and there it is, he called me yesterday to eagerly tell me, needless to say a fish of a life time for most anyone. Again another by-catch of mutton fishing, he was using 50 lb. braid 50 top shot 50 lb. leader with your typical 8 foot Calstar and one of those new Connecticut, USA built RELEASE brand reels with a speedo head, he was aiming to entice a pinky and look at what he managed to turn around and up !
    It's been a long year since I set foot on the Great white-blue-red bus, after helping my wife WIN the battle against cancer! And I plan on setting foot aboard on next week's Limitted Load with my friend Hector, the Yankee Capts' caught all-tackle IGFA Margate record holder! This time not looking for any cooler busting load of pinks, just wanting to be aboard the YC staring into the ocean hoping to get that knock on the door and the for ever seemingly eternal wait for the return for the kill of the greatest bottom dweller ever the Mutton snapper. Anyways enough lousy writing from me, that job goes to Bob and Cameron.
    Cheers Bob, thank you.
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 506 Officer
    Great report Bob. You said it all! Challenging conditions with the current turning us in circles, tangles galore and a large percentage of new faces at the rail. I was surprised to see that so many quality fish made it through to the surface. My most promising hookup was nearing the surface, the mates deftly cut five other lines to clear the way (all mono, thanks guys) and I was at my top shot when a strong pull from the other side ruined my chance to see my catch. It was probably a jack but you never know...
    Nick was fishing the pulpit and had high hook, a real mutton artist. The rest of us would chase the fish over to him and he would roll up his sleeves and pull them in! Good job bud! Flyers were almost absent, the net landed three and one produced a strong bite, just as a strong wind ruined a calm sea. I had all I could handle but was winning, till the pull got very strong and I thought there was swimming grey matter trying to eat my meal for me. When it let go, I reeled like nuts and seemed to pull it from the jaws of death about three times. Sweating and relieved to have won the battle, my mood turned to disbelief when Matt gaffed a big jack crevalle, maybe 25 pounds.
    I managed 4 muttons, a red grouper, 3 porgies and a couple nice mangos.
    My friend, Dan got his first Yankee Capts mutton,(after catching his first ever mutton on my boat a few days earlier, 14.5 pounds!) and 8 groupers and learned how to stay awake for three days, good job. Mel and his son, Danny, got margates, groupers and yellow tails, while Chuck had bunkitis, a not too distant relative of skunkitis and chumitis.
    Jarbas was taking a lot of flack for some of the new work he did on the boat (all in fun, the work is great) He was loudly defending the design of the galley and someone pointed out that he really knows how to put things together, look at his choice of shoes!!! (refer to Bob's picture above) One more chance before heading north for the summer, Pulley Ridge lite at the end of March, hoping for good weather!
  • Rip Van WinkleRip Van Winkle Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Hoogan wrote: »
    Great report my fellow Sebastian neighbor Bob!
    I was eager to confirm my friend Ralph's claim of catching a 40-45 lb. Blackie and there it is, he called me yesterday to eagerly tell me, needless to say a fish of a life time for most anyone. Again another by-catch of mutton fishing, he was using 50 lb. braid 50 top shot 50 lb. leader with your typical 8 foot Calstar and one of those new Connecticut, USA built RELEASE brand reels with a speedo head, he was aiming to entice a pinky and look at what he managed to turn around and up !
    It's been a long year since I set foot on the Great white-blue-red bus, after helping my wife WIN the battle against cancer! And I plan on setting foot aboard on next week's Limitted Load with my friend Hector, the Yankee Capts' caught all-tackle IGFA Margate record holder! This time not looking for any cooler busting load of pinks, just wanting to be aboard the YC staring into the ocean hoping to get that knock on the door and the for ever seemingly eternal wait for the return for the kill of the greatest bottom dweller ever the Mutton snapper. Anyways enough lousy writing from me, that job goes to Bob and Cameron.
    Cheers Bob, thank you.

Who cares about the trip, that's great news about your wife, congrats....Too bad AA isn't around to throw squid in your face on your next trip but he was castrated by his wife and is no longer allowed to pay rent for spot #8, as if that cheap **** paid anyway.
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 238 Deckhand
    It's been tough but 18/34 is acceptable ( 3T for 30 previously), did the muttons migrate away due to El Nino, LoL. Thanks for sharing, nice haul of BG. Art good to hear you are happy to fish more.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,028 Officer
    Hoogan, great news about your wife's battle. Complaining about a fishing trip is way down the list of things that matter when you have worries like that.

Which trip are you going on? I'm scheduled for the Pulley Lite trip on Mon 3/28. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 506 Officer
    Xaf wrote: »
    Hoogan, great news about your wife's battle. Complaining about a fishing trip is way down the list of things that matter when you have worries like that.

Which trip are you going on? I'm scheduled for the Pulley Lite trip on Mon 3/28. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

See you there glutton.
    Too bad AA isn't around to throw squid in your face on your next trip but he was castrated by his wife and is no longer allowed to pay rent for spot #8, as if that cheap **** paid anyway.

Funny you say that.... I heard from AA two weeks ago, it looks like he is ready to get on the bus, soon I hope, it looks like the wifey imposed embargo has been lifted LOL
    God I hope he doesn't read this... he might be showing the sings of "honey I'm home" physically but at 6'2" he still a big dude. :rotflmao
  • PINK SNAPPER SNATCHERPINK SNAPPER SNATCHER Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Who cares about the trip, that's great news about your wife, congrats....Too bad AA isn't around to throw squid in your face on your next trip but he was castrated by his wife and is no longer allowed to pay rent for spot #8, as if that cheap **** paid anyway.

I agree with Stan.... Happy your wife is OK, next 5 years, keep your fingers crossed.
    Art, Stan, and the other regulars.........
    You reach cross roads in life, and sometimes decide its time to walk away from things, and have my family now.
    2-4 day trips away from them, aren't in the future yet.....
    I do miss it!
    I agree with Stan.... Happy your wife is OK, next 5 years, keep your fingers crossed.
    Art, Stan, and the other regulars.........
    You reach cross roads in life, and sometimes decide its time to walk away from things, and have my family now.
    2-4 day trips away from them, aren't in the future yet.....
    I do miss it!

I wish I was a regular again, hell I wish I went period. My Dad is unable to do the trips because of his feet which is cool because his *****ing about would get old after 2 minutes. My brother has the same problems as you, except he was medically castrated where your's was surgical and I had my wife where I couldn't leave her alone for medical reasons.

Lol what a wonderful thing life is sometimes. Despite IRS fighting constantly like complete idiots, the trips were a lot of fun and seems they have only gotten better.

I will do a few trips in the coming months if nothing but to torment Greg. I have to dust off my stuff and get proper gear, sounds like my sex life.
    I wish I was a regular again, hell I wish I went period. My Dad is unable to do the trips because of his feet which is cool because his *****ing about would get old after 2 minutes. My brother has the same problems as you, except he was medically castrated where your's was surgical and I had my wife where I couldn't leave her alone for medical reasons.

Lol what a wonderful thing life is sometimes. Despite IRS fighting constantly like complete idiots, the trips were a lot of fun and seems they have only gotten better.

I will do a few trips in the coming months if nothing but to torment Greg. I have to dust off my stuff and get proper gear, sounds like my sex life.

That would be awesome, Dad, the good son and the bad son giving people dirty looks and talking under his breath because they caught a pink and he couldnt get a bite no matter what...LOL like the day Richard was so mad at me... LOL, he had number 8 spot and I had number 9 and he had 1 mutton and I was on my number 8 and getting bit... LOL, that was priceless, then we had Caroline carrying on in Erwin's ear and the other Art with his bait cooler with three half gallon jugs of "orange juice" dead *** drunk... Those were the days.... Brent all the way from Indiana with his airplane friendly two piece Calstar rod, Renatta RIP making everyone happy ... Albert frikin glued to number 8. The time that I've spent on the YC are priceless, I thought about having a "reunion" but people change, they move on. One time I went on the FFF and the word spread... "We have a spy here from the YC" funny thing the mate that recognized me (Blue) showed up at Greg's asking him for a job the following week... He did not get hired, actually he was told to f... off. I like to think that the here and now are the good ol days but not really... those were the good ol days. (BTW - My apologies to all for hacking this thread )
    That would be awesome, Dad, the good son and the bad son giving people dirty looks and talking under his breath because they caught a pink and he couldnt get a bite no matter what...LOL like the day Richard was so mad at me... LOL, he had number 8 spot and I had number 9 and he had 1 mutton and I was on my number 8 and getting bit... LOL, that was priceless, then we had Caroline carrying on in Erwin's ear and the other Art with his bait cooler with three half gallon jugs of "orange juice" dead *** drunk... Those were the days.... Brent all the way from Indiana with his airplane friendly two piece Calstar rod, Renatta RIP making everyone happy ... Albert frikin glued to number 8. The time that I've spent on the YC are priceless, I thought about having a "reunion" but people change, they move on. One time I went on the FFF and the word spread... "We have a spy here from the YC" funny thing the mate that recognized me (Blue) showed up at Greg's asking him for a job the following week... He did not get hired, actually he was told to f... off. I like to think that the here and now are the good ol days but not really... those were the good ol days. (BTW - My apologies to all for hacking this thread )

**XAF too bad, we're hijacking your excellent report, one day when you're on a trip with me, it will all be clear.......... You'll be thankful I stopped going **

Art, I guarantee you have my brother and I confused. Rich never had a problem catching muttons, he was one of the best on the boat, admittedly, I am not. Also, he isn't nearly as competitive as I am.

If one of us was acting like a ******bag over not catching and the person next to us is, 99.9999999999999999% it was me. If you think I am bad doing that at fishing you should see me in Ice hockey, ugh.

To this day Mrs. Jay still has nightmares over my treatment of a bonnet head. hahah That story is one they will never let me live down.

I am sure it was me and sorry for acting like an ***, but my next trip, I will probably be doing the same thing.

I swear if Capt. Greg had a pot bellied pig on the boat, Carolyn would sit there with a Marlboro hanging out of her mouth, telling it a story about one of her hunting trips or how she caught a 50 pound grouper and not realize the pig would rather licks it's own privates then listen to her ramble for 5 hours. Brizo would know all her stories if she still went on the trips. Hahah She was really nice though, she would give you the shirt off of her own back, I hope she's doing ok.

I was a regular on the FFF and I would wear a red Yankee Capts Capt, Greg shirt I stole from him, it was priceless, it didn't fit well, it was a mini skirt. hahaha

Does Brent still go on trips? He was a good dude.

My wife had to move out of state for medical reasons, so I am free to go, not sure when I will. I was looking at one of the Pulley Ridge lite trips but Rich has been advancing in his job and has "training" on the next 2.

I have to get used to braid, when I stopped going, no one used the stuff, except maybe an angler or 2 that wanted to torment us up in the bow. I will go to Angler's B&T and have Rick take care of the braid thing for me.

BTW, I never stepped foot on the FFF. lol
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,028 Officer
    No problem hi jacking the report. I love hearing fishing stories.
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 997 Officer
    It's always nice to read a report where you get more of the story than just "We caught this, this and this". Ragging on yourself is just as much fun as ragging on your buddies. On just about every trip, SOMEONE on the boat will be the Hot Rod and someone on the boat will just be jinxed. It's part of fishing. I once had a group of 6 people, the guy in the middle had never been "Deep Sea Fishing" as he stated. I set him up with a jig and worm. He would drop to the bottom and just start shaking the rod tip. He beat everyone in the boat COMBINED. He could do no wrong. Every dog has it's day (Except Brizo who is a champ every day). Good Report

PS, to the guy that wife just beat cancer
    there's not a fish in the ocean that compares to that! CONGRATS TO YOU AND ESPECIALLY YOUR WIFE
    Thanks to all for the get well wishes.
    Stan aka Rip Van W. - I had it wrong, you are absolutely correct, it was you that I was fishing with on the stern... BTW- you, Rich and dad ( Erwin) are missed.
    Rob. - I hope that you do write that book, I look forward to it. With the whole story... LOL.

Hot off the press, just got off the red blue and white bus! Very exciting trip, after not wetting a line for well over a year, I wondered if my muttonium skills were rusty, they were not !!! Some exciting fishing, a Jerasik size kingfish, Africans and a hot Black grouper bite! Story to follow, stay tuned. And again thanks to all for the support.BTW - the new nite time Capt. Brizo kicks *** and so does Camela... the new and pretty galley cook!
    Thanks to all for the get well wishes.
    Stan aka Rip Van W. - I had it wrong, you are absolutely correct, it was you that I was fishing with on the stern... BTW- you, Rich and dad ( Erwin) are missed.
    Rob. - I hope that you do write that book, I look forward to it. With the whole story... LOL.

Hot off the press, just got off the red blue and white bus! Very exciting trip, after not wetting a line for well over a year, I wondered if my muttonium skills were rusty, they were not !!! Some exciting fishing, a Jerasik size kingfish, Africans and a hot Black grouper bite! Story to follow, stay tuned. And again thanks to all for the support.BTW - the new nite time Capt. Brizo kicks *** and so does Camela... the new and pretty galley cook!

No official report , it didn't happen!

I told you it was me. hahaha
    Xaf wrote: »
    No problem hi jacking the report. I love hearing fishing stories.

Hahaha Thank you and we have tons to tell, most of it is R-rated though lol......
  • FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 576 Officer
    **XAF too bad, we're hijacking your excellent report, one day when you're on a trip with me, it will all be clear.......... You'll be thankful I stopped going **

Art, I guarantee you have my brother and I confused. Rich never had a problem catching muttons, he was one of the best on the boat, admittedly, I am not. Also, he isn't nearly as competitive as I am.

If one of us was acting like a ******bag over not catching and the person next to us is, 99.9999999999999999% it was me. If you think I am bad doing that at fishing you should see me in Ice hockey, ugh.

To this day Mrs. Jay still has nightmares over my treatment of a bonnet head. hahah That story is one they will never let me live down.

I am sure it was me and sorry for acting like an ***, but my next trip, I will probably be doing the same thing.

I swear if Capt. Greg had a pot bellied pig on the boat, Carolyn would sit there with a Marlboro hanging out of her mouth, telling it a story about one of her hunting trips or how she caught a 50 pound grouper and not realize the pig would rather licks it's own privates then listen to her ramble for 5 hours. Brizo would know all her stories if she still went on the trips. Hahah She was really nice though, she would give you the shirt off of her own back, I hope she's doing ok.

I was a regular on the FFF and I would wear a red Yankee Capts Capt, Greg shirt I stole from him, it was priceless, it didn't fit well, it was a mini skirt. hahaha

Does Brent still go on trips? He was a good dude.

My wife had to move out of state for medical reasons, so I am free to go, not sure when I will. I was looking at one of the Pulley Ridge lite trips but Rich has been advancing in his job and has "training" on the next 2.

I have to get used to braid, when I stopped going, no one used the stuff, except maybe an angler or 2 that wanted to torment us up in the bow. I will go to Angler's B&T and have Rick take care of the braid thing for me.

BTW, I never stepped foot on the FFF. lol

I was that angler tormenting you on the bow with the braid. Remember the Amberjack Roe? Those were some good times and good fishing.

Juan