Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Cast Net

I am looking at buying a cast net. Does anyone have a cast net brand and size they would recommend buying? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• actionc96actionc96 Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    What's your target bait ? Whitebait ,pilchards ? What's your budget ? Tim wade if you have deep pockets, reality is you need multiple nets for different conditions , pilchards,sardines no bigger than 3/8 mesh finger mullet with that size too,mullet 6 inches and bigger gotta go 8 ft net with 3/4 mesh, open water bigger net tight spots along mangroves and back canals small net say 5 ft,...experience will make you a mater baiter:rotflmao
  • nicehonkerznicehonkerz Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the feedback! I am planning a fishing trip to Marco Island in May and I am trying to figure out what the heck I am doing. Looking to buy one cast net what would be a good all around. Any advice? Not sure what the target bait would be? I have experience using a cast net for catching shad in a lake not bait fish in the gulf.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Tim Wade 8' 3/8 mesh
    Most widely used
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Thanks, I just ordered one from Tim! He is a smart dude. Now I just need to figure out what types of areas to find bait.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Along the beaches and grass flats. Look for flashing or flipping.
    If by boat, bridges--pilings.
    Otherwise, look for birds diving.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    In May what type of bait fish will be by bridges and pilings?
  • TarpoonTarpoon Posts: 61 Deckhand
    pilchards and threads. Beach bait is going to be your best bet that time of year.