Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Flounder Report 3/20

I went gigging Sunday Night 9-11:30 with my dad. We gigged 10 total near Sebastian. Water quality was nice and clear I'd estimate I could see 10 - 15 foot radius no wind causing ripples on the surface until about 11:00. Saw some grass on the shore and a lot of bait. It's funny my dad goes to this spot so often he can tell me where the flounder are most likely found. Saw a nice size snook hanging in the mangroves too, plus 2 sheephead sleeping near one of the grass patches. Flounder are 15-17 inches all pretty fat.

Replies

• InShoreGrantInShoreGrant Posts: 80 Deckhand
    After 2 hours of cleaning, will have flounder for dinner and the rest are packed up.
  • BluewaterfeverBluewaterfever Posts: 448 Deckhand
    Nicely done!
    Some good eats for sure. :)
    Dumb Fish Die First
  • fastrunner8915fastrunner8915 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Nice work. Message me. I go out gigging alot and make custom lights for gigging
    Vinny Brights
    LED Gig, Shrimp, Bull Netting, Crappy, and Shrimp Lights in green and white

Order at- http://Vinnybrights.com
  • Robm00923Robm00923 Posts: 121 Deckhand
    All on ROD and REEL @ the Inlet. Now I see Why it 's getting Harder to pull"em Now days, Nah Reely!! Just Sayin, Good Job Bro
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    Rob do you eat roe?
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    Robm00923 wrote: »
    All on ROD and REEL @ the Inlet. Now I see Why it 's getting Harder to pull"em Now days, Nah Reely!! Just Sayin, Good Job Bro

who cares how he is catching them? whether you stab them or hook them they still die..

Nice work on the flatties InshoreGrant
    Rob do you eat roe?
    They're alright with eggs n cheese grits,
    who cares how he is catching them? whether you stab them or hook them they still die..

Nice work on the flatties InshoreGrant
    Guess you're right bro, The Fact remains though "more" fish that come in the Inlet, don't leave the inlet, it's commercial, might as well drop some bowling balls on the bottom and drag net the Inlet then nobody'll catch ....!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Guess you're right bro, The Fact remains though "more" fish that come in the Inlet, don't leave the inlet, it's commercial, might as well drop some bowling balls on the bottom and drag net the Inlet then nobody'll catch ....!
    Maybe you should stop fishing....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    I used to be anti gig but it is fun, and its not always shooting fish in a barrel, any more so than when you can pitch to a rock or pylon, and instantly hook up. Flounder fishing/gigging difficulty lies in hunting their haunts more than battling the fish........

That being said although they are one of the most if not most sustainable fish in the lagoon, in regards to growth and spawn rates, there is no need for anyone to keep 15 flounder a day....it should be 6 MAX!

I am happy with one or two good ones but I don't freeze fish so that's just my opinion.
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Most hook & line fishermen view gigging and spear fishing to be less than sporting - like fishing with a shotgun (or bowling balls and a net, as someone suggested). This should come as no shock to anyone, and shouldn't offend anyone - it's just a personal opinion some folks have. No big wup. All are welcome to their opinions on the subject...being ugly and insulting about it serves no constructive purpose, does it?
    I used to be anti gig but it is fun, and its not always shooting fish in a barrel, any more so than when you can pitch to a rock or pylon, and instantly hook up. Flounder fishing/gigging difficulty lies in hunting their haunts more than battling the fish........

That being said although they are one of the most if not most sustainable fish in the lagoon, in regards to growth and spawn rates, there is no need for anyone to keep 15 flounder a day....it should be 6 MAX!

I am happy with one or two good ones but I don't freeze fish so that's just my opinion.

Good Stuff Fellas. I agree and yea I can see the fun or tactical part, I've gigged frogs which ever way you like to get'er Done, Tight lines:fishing
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,262 Officer
    Certain species freeze well when froze in vacuum bags. Flounder is one of the best. Six month old filets will taste fresh.
    Barrell wrote: »
    Certain species freeze well when froze in vacuum bags. Flounder is one of the best. Six month old filets will taste fresh.
    Yea Man! That's a fact, That's the stuff you eat' when the thin fish come back in March n April
    there is no need for anyone to keep 15 flounder a day....it should be 6 MAX!

Its actually 10 per day.

Is it just opinion it should be 6 or is that some kind of fact you can back up?

• J-SeaJ-Sea Posts: 202 Officer
    Ban commercial sale
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,116 AG
    I love these threads...

*MY* opinion ( and you should listen to me :wink )

One per person per day...inside a very small and restrictive slot....and only in certain months of the year...when they are known to be scarce..... :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Hey Joe you know 1 to 5 would prbly be good, I've limited out maybe 5, 6 times in the 40yrs that I've been fishing the Inlet yea I said 40yrs. I catch fish and I fish for food I know you're a fisherman as well I know you shoot ducks and I'm sure you don't shoot flatties or stab'em for that matter. My opinion there are Fisherman and people who fish. A lot of guys myself included that get up @ 4am or most likely 3:30 from anticipation from the night before, to drive 80 miles catch bait get tackle etc and start fishing by sun up, only to find that a bunch a guys done stuck who knows how many in the backwater and only one or two fish come your way, tourists alike come from other states to Fish and a lot of'em go back home disappointed No Biggie though to each his own I'm not bitter just a fisherman Tight lines Good job on the Reds n Trout
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I love these threads...

*MY* opinion ( and you should listen to me :wink )

One per person per day...inside a very small and restrictive slot....and only in certain months of the year...when they are known to be scarce..... :rotflmao
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,613 Captain
    Yeah it can be frustrating sometimes. Like when a few years back I went offshore to fish wrecks for grouper and got zero bites. Later found out commercial divers hit em the day before and shot every one. Commercial divers also slaughter them when summer thermal clines push them in closer and so cold they don't eat anything except a power head. NO bag limits either and people wonder why grouper fishing is so hard lately.
    My 2 cents.
    saltybum wrote: »
    Yeah it can be frustrating sometimes. Like when a few years back I went offshore to fish wrecks for grouper and got zero bites. Later found out commercial divers hit em the day before and shot every one. Commercial divers also slaughter them when summer thermal clines push them in closer and so cold they don't eat anything except a power head. NO bag limits either and people wonder why grouper fishing is so hard lately.
    My 2 cents.
    !0/4 I hear you.. I grew up catching bass in any Orlando, Kissimmee, lake Mary, Sanford, spot and caught and ate a lot of Bass, But if I caught one in the "cast net" Dad, God bless 'him, raised me to throw it back.:wink
  • mmikitammikita Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Florida still acts like a third world country. Gigging flounder is obscene. Wasted cracker mentality.
    mmikita wrote: »
    Florida still acts like a third world country. Gigging flounder is obscene. Wasted cracker mentality.

Not if you like eating a nice fish....

Some people hunt Bears here in Florida....It's legal...and has full state approval.

No difference....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Hey Joe you know 1 to 5 would prbly be good, I've limited out maybe 5, 6 times in the 40yrs that I've been fishing the Inlet yea I said 40yrs. I catch fish and I fish for food I know you're a fisherman as well I know you shoot ducks and I'm sure you don't shoot flatties or stab'em for that matter. My opinion there are Fisherman and people who fish. A lot of guys myself included that get up @ 4am or most likely 3:30 from anticipation from the night before, to drive 80 miles catch bait get tackle etc and start fishing by sun up, only to find that a bunch a guys done stuck who knows how many in the backwater and only one or two fish come your way, tourists alike come from other states to Fish and a lot of'em go back home disappointed No Biggie though to each his own I'm not bitter just a fisherman Tight lines Good job on the Reds n Trout

In reality...they should...if they don't already have...

Do the study to figure the mortality VS recruitment VS sexual viability matrix...And come up with a realistic harvest and slot ..I think 10 is too liberal.....1 is not realistic...12 inches is too small to expect to get any real meat.

There is a common sense middle ground with regs...they just need to do it.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • SizuperSizuper Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Not if you like eating a nice fish....

Some people hunt Bears here in Florida....It's legal...and has full state approval.

No difference....

Legal doesn't make it right...often times legal just means a special interest group or a business lobby paid some politicians a big enough bribe to make the illegal and immoral legal. I'm referring to the bear hunts...and the dumping of sewage into our lagoons. Immoral and unconscionable, but legal because someone slips some money into someone else's pocket.

As for flounder gigging and spear fishing, I don't consider it sporting but it's just my opinion and I don't have the right to tell others what their opinion should be on the matter...certainly have no call to insult them. Besides, I've never done either of them so honestly I might not know what I'm talking about on the subject.

There's a big difference between changing the law to let a few people kill a sparsely populated species out of blood lust than to use different means to catch an already legally-harvested, heavily populated and well-regulated species of fish. Heck there are only 8 species of bear in the entire world, almost all of them endangered...there are almost 20 species of flatfish alone in Florida and Gulf waters.
    In reality...they should...if they don't already have...

Do the study to figure the mortality VS recruitment VS sexual viability matrix...And come up with a realistic harvest and slot ..I think 10 is too liberal.....1 is not realistic...12 inches is too small to expect to get any real meat.

There is a common sense middle ground with regs...they just need to do it.
    Right on Joe. I probably wouldn't care so much if they were sticking reds or snook, I'm just flatty friendly I guess. :wink
    Sizuper wrote: »
    Legal doesn't make it right...often times legal just means a special interest group or a business lobby paid some politicians a big enough bribe to make the illegal and immoral legal. I'm referring to the bear hunts...and the dumping of sewage into our lagoons. Immoral and unconscionable, but legal because someone slips some money into someone else's pocket.

There's a big difference between changing the law to let a few people kill a sparsely populated species out of blood lust

Let's be realistic...Do you really think that SOMEBODY paid of the FWC ....so that a carefully controlled harvest of an animal can be done....and...all to satisfy a "bloodlust".

Sorry, but you are being delusional.

There was a 20 year moratorium on bear hunts...the populations rose above what is felt BY SCIENTISTS to be a proper level considering the carrying capacity of the land....and a controlled "thinning" of 300 animals were undertaken.

No bloodlust....nor any Bear huggery....just science.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Right on Joe. I probably wouldn't care so much if they were sticking reds or snook, I'm just flatty friendly I guess. :wink

You probably wouldn't like my idea on that upper slot size on those Flounder Rob....Nobody would...not even me. :grin

Much like with Snook and Reds...It is those true trophies...that have both the good genetics...and prolific egg production numbers...

Still can't believe we don't have an "upper" on Trout..... We do have all the science published on them.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • InShoreGrantInShoreGrant Posts: 80 Deckhand
    I grew up doing all the methods and spearing, gigging and fishing all have different challenges. All are quite fun and challenging in different ways.

I'v gigged flounder for many years (30+ easily), we started with a lantern and spear and have over the years changed our gear to what has been more successful. Using technology to increase the distance our light can illuminate the water, but you still have to plan your trip based on your location, weather, and have a lot of knowledge about your area. There are night's I get up at 3 am and flounder until light and might get one or two or none then there are nights I get my limit. I try to take flounder between 15-20 inches due to amount of meat on the fish and reproduction sizes. One of the limits on gigging is temperature normally you can only gig between December and February, it's harder to get close to the flounder when the water warms up. There are many challenges to gigging founder, so try it and see how you do, it's not as easy as you might think. Since December I have went multiple times and only have 9 flounder in my freezer. Some times are more successful then others. I mainly gig because its fun and I get to spend time with my dad.
    Some people here need a hug....

mmikita wrote: »
    :o:o