Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fish finder

Bought my first bottom machine seems to be really nice have used it twice.garmin 73dv.come to find out it doesn't have chirp like I thought . I usually fish within 10 miles offshore and inshore.would chirp benefit me.any info would be greatly appreciated.got it at basspro for 425

Replies

• gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 657 Officer
    So, do you think it's going to find you fish with the chirp? It takes alot more than a sonar to find fish. You aren't going to get any freebies here, live and learn. Once you figure out how your machine works, then use it to scan the areas that look fishy for activity.
  • truculenitytruculenity Posts: 43 Greenhorn
    would chirp benefit me.any info would be greatly appreciated.

not really, its the latest thing, marketing makes it popular. For inside of 10 miles, all the sounders mark fish to some degree some just are shaped more like a fish.
  • Nicolexx1Nicolexx1 Posts: 40 Deckhand
    would chirp benefit me.any info would be greatly appreciated.

not really, its the latest thing, marketing makes it popular. For inside of 10 miles, all the sounders mark fish to some degree some just are shaped more like a fish.

Thanks you were way more helpful than good ole gater hook
  • Dr. BogasDr. Bogas Posts: 533 Officer
    My Garmin 3210 you go to menu then go to alarms should be able to turn on fish alarm.
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 925 Officer
    If you search thehulltruth.com you will find that many serious (charter/for-hire) bottom fisherman prefer the non-CHIRP traditional furuno machines to really detect the exact type and density of the bottom; especially on the west coast. CHIRP seems to really excel at clearly depicting schooling fish from baitfish, etc... You have multiple frequencies being used in a "sweep" so you get a more definitive picture... But again, the hardcore grouper guys seem to stay away from it. ANYTHING will pickup a big old school of the non-existent rare red snapper LOL.

I have an old school Garmin 740s with a super basic P66 and I can mark AJ's/Grouper and hard bottom in 165-200ft. with no problem. But like the other guys said, you have to play with the gain, perhaps use bottom-lock/zoom, and understand what you are looking at. That site thehulltruth.com has TONS of info on Sonar. You will get a headache if you really get into it.