Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

1st time fishing Sebastion Inlet ?

Hey all I am interested in trailering the boat over to the inlet and trying to hook up with some big snook and reds. My question is, is it a pain in the butt to fish the inlet by boat? Do you have to drift the whole time or can you anchor up and cast? I watched a couple video's on youtube and it seemed that the captain was using the main engine, in and out of gear. Any thoughts would be appreciative.

Replies

• beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Any type of fishing at the inlet is a pain to me lol. You can drift or anchor, the current rips through there so you may have to wait til the tide switches to get your anchor unstuck. I prefer to drift as you don't have to deal with the anchor and tend to lose less gear, drifting with the bait just above the bottom. My favorite way to fish it is just outside of the inlet on the outgoing tide, near the north jetty. That area can get crowded on weekends though. Just know that you're probably not going to slay it the first time you go, it takes a while to hammer out what tide and conditions produce fish. I still haven't figured it out
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,129 AG
    A first timer can get into trouble with a boat...
    A first timer on the jetty will only catch fish if he is lucky...or observant...or both. :wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • tears143tears143 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    SI is not a safe place for a person to boat if they are not good with boating. Very strong current and please don't do it at night if it's your first time at SI. It get crazy out there with the currents.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,613 Captain
    AND pick a week day with a lot less chaos from other boats and shore anglers.