Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Merritt Island Fish Kill

My facebook feed is blowing up this morning with reports of a huge flounder ( the pics I saw are not the clearest, I personally think they are hogchokers, not flounder but have not been out there to see myself.. just going off of people saying they are flounder) and sheepshead kill as well as catfish overnight in sykes creek and the barge canal.. seems like the heat is already causing problems with our current algal bloom.. I have lived here all my life and cannot recall seeing hypoxia affect flounder and sheepshead... It must have either came on really quick, or there is nowhere for them to seek refuge it's so bad..

It's gonna get a whole lot darker before it gets light when it comes to the IRL system..

Replies

• SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    Found a better picture... pretty sure that is a hogchoker
  • BluewaterfeverBluewaterfever Posts: 448 Deckhand
    Just came across NASA parkway over the banana river, lots of dead fish up here.
    Very sad.
    Dumb Fish Die First
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,129 AG
    Waterfront property is going to get cheaper..... :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • TheHookTheHook Posts: 51 Deckhand
    This is bad. Just saw a video on Facebook. So so so many dead fish in Sykes Creek. I'm hearing there is more by NASA causeway. Nothing will be done as per usual.
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Saw a few dead catfish around Pineda in the Indian River today
  • Big WormBig Worm Posts: 61 Deckhand
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Waterfront property is going to get cheaper..... :rotflmao

Keep Dreaming!!
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,033 Officer
    UNREAL.............
  • The lazy pirateThe lazy pirate Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Fished near Kars park yesterday, saw TONS of dead cats and a few trout even a slot red. Cannot believe this is happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Rippin_lipsRippin_lips Posts: 35 Deckhand
    I fished a couple areas around northern sykes creek and the IRL in merritt island. I saw a couple dead catfish, i thought it was just dumb people at first then i saw reports of a fish kill. I couldn't buy a bite the fish had lockjaw. I thought I had caught a case of the skunk but maybe even the live fish are not their normal selves right now.
    The scary part is, the water is not even hot yet.. what's going to happen in july and august?
  • redsnducksredsnducks Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    My guess is that the IRL is going to make the news a lot because with fish kills already starting, wait till the water gets close to 90 degrees if we still have the brown tide 2-3 months from now.
  • gillcuttergillcutter Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Shocking fishkill on NASA Causeway / Banana River NMZ this afternoon...trout, black drum, sheepshead, mullet, reds, flounder along the shoreline.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Need to point at the source - the Lake O water that was released.

IF someone has any contact information for who to point fingers at, please share. This is totally unacceptable.
  • McLauFinMcLauFin Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    with the water temperature not dropping low enough for a long enough period of time, these algae blooms never died off. we just went from species to the next without a day off. the lake o release could be playing a role and theres a breve (type fo algae) bloom in the gulf and i was just reading about how the blooms can get caught in the gulf stream and make it through the straits to rebloom off the east coast of florida hitting the central and ne florida regions the hardest. my other theory is all the new construction at the port, nasa territory, and viera is causing dangerous runoff levels of nitrogen that allows for these blooms to explode (especially with the water temperature and lack of predatory zoaplankton).
    Catfish to kingfish
  • Chief OsceolaChief Osceola Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    I live on Sykes Creek so I will summarize exactly what I have seen the past couple days. I went out Saturday morning and started seeing dead fish immediately. When I got out to the open water of Sykes Creek, there were dead fish everywhere, including hundreds of dead sheepshead. Saw numerous fish "struggling to breathe" at the top of the water, including sheepshead with the top of their backs out of the water. Ran down to the 1000 Islands to see how bad and widespread it was. Saw dead fish and struggling fish on every flat once I was about half way into the Islands. Yesterday, it got worse. I have video of thousands of mullet in my backyard struggling at the surface. The entire river system in either direction (IR or BR) looks like the Amazon. It's degraded from "coffee" to "caramel". I will post pics and video later.
  • Chief OsceolaChief Osceola Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Forgot to mention the flounder. I don't know what a hogchoker is but I'm pretty sure what I saw were juvenile flounder. I will post pics of those as well.
  • NoleLifeNoleLife Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Rich M wrote: »
    Need to point at the source - the Lake O water that was released.

IF someone has any contact information for who to point fingers at, please share. This is totally unacceptable.

Lake O is not to be blamed for the issues occurring in the northern IRL.
  • Captain HookCaptain Hook Posts: 107 Officer
    Lots of dead breeder size reds, trout, snook...........
    Not my post of fb but I saw it this morning and felt sick about what I was seeing.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10205434799818639.1073741991.1509430702&type=3
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,581 AG

The scary part is, the water is not even hot yet.. what's going to happen in july and august?

Saw this one last night. terrible
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
    Forgot to mention the flounder. I don't know what a hogchoker is but I'm pretty sure what I saw were juvenile flounder. I will post pics of those as well.

Hogchoker

Southern Flounder

The vast majority of the small flat fish that are struggling are hogchokers.. but I did take a ride yesterday (wish I hadn't have) and saw a couple actual flounder in the mix..
  • redsnducksredsnducks Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Kill is making it's way down to Satellite Bch area, not too many dead YET, just lots of fish gasping at the surface for a little oxygen. Saw my first blue crab in canal in over 1 yr, unfortunately I was only able to see it because it was doing its best to get out of the water to get a little air.
  • The lazy pirateThe lazy pirate Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Finally saw something on the news about it (ch 9). First time I've seen it on the news and not just the paper. It's a step in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,613 Captain
    Time to rattle Congressman Posey's cage so much he can't sleep at night or maybe the stench coming into is house will wake him and all our other locals officials up out of their little castles. AND YES I believe Viera is a major contributor of the runoff causing this. They are continuing to expand in the shallow St. Johns flood plane and anytime we get a big rain fall they PUMP it right into the lagoon or the St. Johns. Shouldn't be too long before it starts to feel the effects of progress too.
  • McLauFinMcLauFin Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I was speaking with a gentlemen and a local watering hole who had he idea of aerating the canals of 1000s islands with fountains. I found the idea to have some possibility of working and aiding the immediate water near the CB canals but could not see it being effective long term. Seems also very expensive for either municiples or private homeowners to run. Working out something with solar is great idea but with these blooms the hypoxia generally occurs at night when the algae switch from photosynthesis to chemosynthesis using the oxygen instead creating it.

Initially the water around the CB canals and central banana river was a red/brown and even come times yellow in color but now it appears more green which could be pointing to different species. The reddish could be k. brevis which has been in the gulf for about 8 months now and may be moving through the Gulf Stream to our area. So what could the green species be? Is this specific species the one causing the hypoxia?

Thoughts...?
    Catfish to kingfish
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 376 Moderator
    Hey gang,

If one of you would like to step up and help with publicity for this situation, contact me at [email protected] or call 772-219-7400 ext 116.

I need a few local anglers who'd be willing to cultivate a small collection of images and observations from the area.

I'd need high-res photographs (1MB or thereabouts) and some phone numbers for folks on the water.

We have other writers and photogs working up there, too, but I wanted to reach out to the EC Forum.

Thanks,
    Jeff Weakley, Editor
    Jeff Weakley
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,129 AG
    If it gets this far south...I'll let you know.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Are we sufficiently angry yet? 40+" bull reds are washing up dead.
    FS Jeff wrote: »
    Hey gang,

If one of you would like to step up and help with publicity for this situation, contact me at [email protected] or call 772-219-7400 ext 116.

I need a few local anglers who'd be willing to cultivate a small collection of images and observations from the area.

I'd need high-res photographs (1MB or thereabouts) and some phone numbers for folks on the water.

We have other writers and photogs working up there, too, but I wanted to reach out to the EC Forum.

Thanks,
    Jeff Weakley, Editor

I have photos and video of dead fish including a bull redfish in the banana river
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,613 Captain
    Contact these guys Steve Crisafulli State Rep. [email protected] He lives on Merritt Island or used to. I think he might care more than other politicians since this is own backyard.

Congressman Posey ( he's never helped our vets much so don't expect much from him ) posey.house.gov

Making a lot of noise here needs to be heard more by these guys and Gov Scott