Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

1st Offshore trip today...A King & A Queen out of Port Canaveral

Left the Port at 7am and headed straight for City Services. Nice easterly flow and some fog and the ride got better the further we got from launch. Dropped in some Marauders and trolled at 17mph out to 225' with nothing... We pulled the lines and put 6 lines with various ballyhoo set-ups. Left home without the outriggers (so this was the largest spread we have run without them)... Blue/White, Green/Yellow, Red/White, 2- Naked, 1 Green bird teaser with a green-machine on the end w/ballyhoo.

About 285' we saw some flying fish, but they were up and then gone, they would be the only ones we saw all day. NO weeds, no birds, nothing. At 300' on the nose, 3 rods go off - we all start cranking, but mine (Green/Yellow) throws the hook quickly. My Son's (Red/White) fights for about 5 minutes and then splits. My buddy (blue/****e) is still cranking and we see it is a gaffer bull all lit up... As he gets the fish within 10 yards of the boat, our line furthest back goes off (Naked hoo) It is the large cow that had been following the bull the whole time. She is not getting away this time... Two gaffed, two in the box.

We circled and made passes for about another hour - nothing - so we decided to head further east. At 325' there is a huge rip and several other boats trolling, Nothing. We continue out to 400', by now it is 1-2's @ 8secs. Absolutely beautiful. We decide to head back trolling, nothing until until 300' on the nose, again, this time another nice cow, and we see a school of them back and forth under the boat. Grabbed our pitch rods but they didn't wait around. And then it was over and we headed back in... We had a blast, thanked God for the weather and are already talking about the next trip... Thanks to everyone who gave some advice and shared their suggestions. I hope everyone had a great day as well...The parking lot was jammed :fishing

Best Fishes,

TT
Killin'Time
The FIRST Amendment...Sponsored by...The SECOND Amendment :USA

Replies

• AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,052 Captain
    Thanks for the report - nice lookin phins and even better eating
    That is setting the bar high - great 1st trip :thumbsup
    nice to see some bigger ones going in the box
    can't wait to get back out next week
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• dtmdtm Posts: 327 Deckhand
    Nice catch wtg:thumbsup
  • BluewaterfeverBluewaterfever Posts: 448 Deckhand
    Congrats on a great first trip. Great report and pics too!
    Dumb Fish Die First
  • southtxsouthtx Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Tim,
    Do you guys typically troll at 17mph? I'm normally at 8mph, but wanna start seeing if I can get some better reaction strikes by upping it a bit. Do your ballyhoo wash out quick that way? Nice work out there on those bulls.
  • bkw4287bkw4287 Posts: 140 Officer
    Being he was trolling with marauders @ 17mph, I'd guess he was hi speeding for wahoo.
    southtx wrote: »
    Tim,
    Do you guys typically troll at 17mph? I'm normally at 8mph, but wanna start seeing if I can get some better reaction strikes by upping it a bit. Do your ballyhoo wash out quick that way? Nice work out there on those bulls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tohotimtohotim Posts: 75 Deckhand
    bkw4287 wrote: »
    Being he was trolling with marauders @ 17mph, I'd guess he was hi speeding for wahoo.

Yes, started out looking for Wahoo...Then targeted phins.
    southtx wrote: »
    Tim,

southtx,

Started looking for Wahoo at higher speed. Then switched to targeting phins. As far as the ballyhoo, We bought some frozen at the ramp, they looked really fresh in the package, which I think is really important. We troll for phins anywhere from 5-7mph and do not have issues with washout. We use pin-rigs with the metal screw on holders. I got some good instruction on preparing the hoos so they perform well. I break the beaks, remove the entrails, remove the eyes and really break up their spines so the swim really well. Hope this helps.
  • InShoreGrantInShoreGrant Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Great Job!! Those are some nice fish.
  • southtxsouthtx Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Tim,
    Yep, that helps, for some reason didn't put two and two together on the marauders and speed. Great job out there, the ramp is jam packed again today, hopefully the bite is good.
  • tonytalitonytali Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Great Fish and nice report. It does not take many of that size fish to stock the fridge.
    TonyT
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Always great when a plan comes together. Tight work
  • bighardeybighardey Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Yes sir, that's what I'm talking about!!! Nice job...300' always seems to be a magic number for us as well.....
    tonytali wrote: »
    Great Fish and nice report. It does not take many of that size fish to stock the fridge.

Thanks Tony, I've watched your posts and you have done some consistent damage yourself!! Thanks for all of your posts and the vicarious living when we we can't get out... 18lbs of filets - plenty to eat, plenty to share. It was only $16/pound this trip... ha
  • Sick DaySick Day Posts: 260 Deckhand
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    1st Offshore trip? You're hooked now! Great job, great report. :beer
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    1st Offshore trip? You're hooked now! Great job, great report. :beer

This year...:dance
  • Orange&BlueOrange&Blue Posts: 64 Deckhand
    tohotim, thanks for you report. We went out the day after you. Day got off to a less-than-auspicious start...while sabiki rigging around one of the first channel markers at dawn and engine wouldn't do anything but idle. Pulled the cover and the cotter pin that holds some flat bar attached to the throttle pulleys had popped off. 45 mins later and we're fixed. Went to City Services and dropped some blue runners. 2nd drift produced an AJ. Tried another drift and left with the stink off the boat. Started trolling around 290' and I told the boys that when we got to 300' to get ready (based on your info). Sure enough, right at 300', a nice gaffer cow (30 lbs +/-) came flying through the spread and picked up one of the flat lines...chain rigged hoo with a green/yellow skirt behind a bird. 5 or 6 nice jumps and she's in the boat. Trolled out to 400 and then back to 300 with no more knockdowns. Picked up and headed to 8A. About 1 pm there were 11 other boats. Nobody looked like they were catching anything and we didn't either. Called it a day. Not bad for starting the day with a serious mechanical problem. Thanks again for your info.