Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Scottsmoor 3-16

Decided to go fishing again so I took the boat and the girlfriend out. We left and headed north, no bites. We went south and came across some tailing reds that we spent 20 minutes trying get them to eat. We were throwing DOA shrimp and a white fluke with no success. The water was really cloudy. Finally on the way back in we got a 12" trout. Heading back out tomorrow and trying to go south. I am bringing my castnet tomorrow to throw to those stubborn reds.

Replies

• beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Always frustrating when you can't get them to eat. A little Pro-Cure usually does the trick, but that's kinda cheating
  • inflatableillnessinflatableillness Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Always frustrating when you can't get them to eat. A little Pro-Cure usually does the trick, but that's kinda cheating

Thanks for the advise. Is that the key to fishing this cloudy water? What scents would you recommend.
  • McLauFinMcLauFin Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Any shrimp flavor should work. If you can get them in a frenzy by tossing frozen shrimp pieces it could stimulate he bite more. Surprisingly the natural colors worked well even in the darker water. Myself and beachside did well with natural colors shrimp imitations and didn't get much love on the flukes or other jerkbaits
    Catfish to kingfish
  • InShoreGrantInShoreGrant Posts: 80 Deckhand
    I soak all my plastics in a sealed container filled with scented liquid, some remains of gulp bait juice and any other scent I end up with.
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,033 Officer
    Best thing for picky Reds.......
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,113 AG
    I use bare jig heads.....

20160317_112335_zpsijuevoum.jpg
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Knocked it out of the park today at scottsmoor. 4 reds 27" 24" one was a clean release after touching the leader. The other one i forgot how big he was so say 10'. Used cut up fresh mullet in chunks with a fluro leader and circle hook. Will post pics tomorrow. Beautiful day out on the water.
    Net 30 wrote: »
    Best thing for picky Reds.......

I hope that's a joke

Inflatableillness nice work, hard to find one that will turn a mullet chunk down.
  • InShoreGrantInShoreGrant Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Knocked it out of the park today at scottsmoor. 4 reds 27" 24" one was a clean release after touching the leader. The other one i forgot how big he was so say 10'. Used cut up fresh mullet in chunks with a fluro leader and circle hook. Will post pics tomorrow. Beautiful day out on the water.

Super Awesome!!! I don't know Scottsmoor so I google earthed your up by Onions Farm Island in the Indian river?
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I use bare jig heads.....

20160317_112335_zpsijuevoum.jpg

**** DuckmanJR. your my idol !

I seem to have to blind cast a lot and am super lucky if I find a red or snook.
    here are the pictures from yesterday, enjoy
    5.jpg 92.2K
    3.jpg 88.6K
    4.jpg 91.4K
    2.jpg 90.7K
    You must have been in the right spot....that water looks aweful!
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Super Awesome!!! I don't know Scottsmoor so I google earthed your up by Onions Farm Island in the Indian river?

**** DuckmanJR. your my idol !

I seem to have to blind cast a lot and am super lucky if I find a red or snook.

I wouldn't go to crazy with all the hero worship....there was a finger mullet on there..... :wink
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    It was definitely the right spot. We were trolling around for trout and came across that spot on wednesday. We threw everything we had at them and they wouldn't bite. Went back thursday and the tails were still there sticking out of the water. Within 5 mins of putting bait in the water we got the first 27" then i got my 24" helping my buddy with his first ever redfish. We moved around our spot for a little and were finally in the middle of at least 40 tails, such a beautiful sight to see. Tried throwing artificials yesterday but they didn't like my lack of patience.
    Sounds like that spot holds fish.