Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Inshore dirty water grind...

Man, It has been a brutal grind the last several days. The water has been totally trashed in the area. After struggling badly on the days after the new moon with only a handful of fish each morning the bite has gotten better. My newly found trout hole would give up a couple fish most days but I don't know how long that will hold out. White CAL seems to be the ticket lately.
Today I did OK numbers wise with 8 Trout and as many ladyfish before moving on to snook. I got a small one and jumped off one that was a bit better. Today was also the first day I had sightable water in one of my spots in a long while...and while I only saw 2 Redfish...I did convert on this one to make slam #9 for the year.

20160315_110615_zpss8ttopqk.jpg

20160315_110644_zpswinmi43e.jpg

He had a bunch of spots....

I am considering going off the beach in the morning..... We'll see
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• GoonfanaticGoonfanatic Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Talk about making the best out of a bad situation, now that is determination Duckman.
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Nice work. I work pretty often in north Sebastian on the water, haven't been to that location in almost 2 weeks. The water has greatly improved since the last time I was there, but it's still bad. It's cloudy, you can see the bottom in about 12-15", but it doesn't have that deep brown color that made the viz less than 6". Saw some big jacks busting bait this morning, tons of glass minnows stacked up in the marina. Also saw a lot more mullet, and even a couple juvenile barracuda hanging under the docks. I've been around that marina for 6 weeks and there hasn't been that much life til now.

We also haven't had hardly any rain, hence no runoff. Hmmm?
  • AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,052 Captain
    You are still catching - even in bad conditions
    Good to see some reports posted
    Taking a break from work and will be there next week
    Going offshore and we have an open seat for you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

• Chief OsceolaChief Osceola Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    Nice work. I work pretty often in north Sebastian on the water, haven't been to that location in almost 2 weeks. The water has greatly improved since the last time I was there, but it's still bad. It's cloudy, you can see the bottom in about 12-15", but it doesn't have that deep brown color that made the viz less than 6". Saw some big jacks busting bait this morning, tons of glass minnows stacked up in the marina. Also saw a lot more mullet, and even a couple juvenile barracuda hanging under the docks. I've been around that marina for 6 weeks and there hasn't been that much life til now.

We also haven't had hardly any rain, hence no runoff. Hmmm?

I live up in Merritt Island and I'm out about every weekend fishing the NIRL or the 1000 Islands and it seems to be changing almost weekly. The water was the worst I've seen this year since the bloom back in early January and it seemed to get better a few weeks ago but this last weekend it looked really cloudy again. I think the conditions are going to go up and down until the water clears again after this bloom finally gets killed and we get to see more decimated grass flats. As soon as the mullet get here in full force, I may be done back here until next Fall/Winter. Beach, 8A, Pelican Flats, rinse, repeat. Hang in there duckman.
  • InShoreGrantInShoreGrant Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Nice Catch.

I just got my boat out of the shop yesterday, I'm planning on testing it today after work. I'll be searching between Christensen Landing in Grant and the S.I. for clean water. Any area you can think of between those spots I should check?
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,065 AG
    Nice Catch.

I just got my boat out of the shop yesterday, I'm planning on testing it today after work. I'll be searching between Christensen Landing in Grant and the S.I. for clean water. Any area you can think of between those spots I should check?

I have not been up that way in weeks.... sorry.

Today I went south in the morning and caught a very large blue (for the river...maybe 5 lbs) a trout and a ladyfish.
    I put the boat on the trailer and my son met me at the ramp for a trip to Ft Pierce... Did a lot of looking....south for 10 miles....then a few miles north of the inlet.
    I saw very little till we saw a school of school buss's ( large jacks) and I flipped a finger mullet into the melee.... Son did the same but had reasonable tackle...I was using my trout rod :hairraiser A 2500 series reel and 8 lb mono is under gunned...but we both landed our fish....mine a good bit after my son. My wrist is still sore.
    Would have preferred Cobes...but a nice day outside.

PS...Boatloads of spinner sharks....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Snookman77Snookman77 Posts: 1,099 Officer
    :rotflmao All on CAL? :rotflmao
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,065 AG
    No...finger mullet for me...big bucktail for my son.....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled