Hot bite short trip 3/13

My girlfriend hasn't caught much lately, and the weather was predicted to be bad today so we went out for a short trip since we had afternoon plans. I was really hoping to put her on some fish today to get the skunk off. The first stop was a creek that had produced well for me on Thursday, but it generally holds smaller fish. It was about 2 hours from the bottom of the low tide but we made the call to get skinny and risk getting stuck in the creek in hopes of finding a good bite and it paid off. We both caught some good reds but hers was quite the specimen. It felt good to put her on a great fish.

4xAigOnl.jpg

After the tide slacked off and began to come in the bite shut down so we rock knocked our way out of that creek and made a run to where I knew we'd have more water and more current to fish. March is a month where I've historically caught some very large fish so I was gunning to find a couple more stud reds. The red bite seemed shut down and the water was murky and muddy from the south wind, but we worked a deep creek and got into a pretty solid trout bite which was surprising.

422vMJpl.jpg

Ca1tR2Sl.jpg

I thought most of these fish would be out on the flats by now, but I think it's mostly the lower sized fish out on the flats at the moment, with the gator trout lurking on the deep cuts in the corners of the creeks, or on the edges of sandbars. I didn't have time to explore the grass flats and find out for sure. We still had a couple of hours to go until the high tide and the tide was already getting too high to be productive so we rolled out. My girlfriend hooked a trout even bigger than the 22 inch ones I caught, I'm guessing it was 26+ inches but it came off boatside. It was a good day, with generally large fish being caught but not in high numbers. Fishing is going to be nuts in the upcoming weeks with the warm water temperatures and good weather.

Replies