Got a tiny battery

dcrdcr Posts: 353 Deckhand
I've been disappointed in my Cabelas 8Ah battery due to it weighing 5.75#. I got it for half price and it satisfied what I'd read about how much power your battery needs to produce. I've got it mounted in a Hobie bracket in the bow and it's pretty noticeably a log in the boat.

But I've just tried out a baby Duracell and it works just fine. It's a 1.3Ah, weighs only 1.6#. I used a piece of styrofoam to mount it in the Hobie bracket. So far it charges in less than an hour and powers my Lowrance X-4 for five hours. Everybody's got a different model, but based on mine using 250mA, the five hour limit is right on for 1.3Ah. I never go out for more than 3 hours so this battery is perfect for me. I got it at Batteries Plus for $22.

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Wow that is small. But by your calculations it wouldn't last me a 6 hr trip :-(
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • dcrdcr Posts: 353 Deckhand
    Duracell makes some slightly bigger batteries -- 2.2Ah @ 2# for $28, but too long for my Hobie bracket and a 2.9Ah which could be up your alley @ 2.6# for curiously only $22. The 2.9Ah is more vertical and I think would fit in the bracket. Even drawing double the amperage that I do, you'd about get your 6 hrs from the 2.9Ah. Of course you'd have to charge it every time you went out, but it charges quickly.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Good info!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • quatinquatin Posts: 598 Officer
    Always get 2x the amount of Amperage you expect to use. Sealed acid batteries don't recover well from a complete discharge. They also degrade poorly over time, so you're soon to get 2/3s the charge you normally get.

If you're still concerned with size, you can move to higher density batteries like Lithium.
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    quatin wrote: »
    Always get 2x the amount of Amperage you expect to use. Sealed acid batteries don't recover well from a complete discharge. They also degrade poorly over time, so you're soon to get 2/3s the charge you normally get.

If you're still concerned with size, you can move to higher density batteries like Lithium.

Yep. Once you start discharging below 50% SLA battery life is diminished. I have bought 4 or 5 of the 8.5Ah SLAs. Unlike our Lithium Ion cell phone batteries, lead acid batteries last longer when they are charged continuously, so a battery maintainer is a good idea. I would be careful with the lithium ion batteries on a kayak. If they melt down they tend to melt down violently. I have a Shorai motorcycle battery in my Hobie PA that is super light, but also super expensive relative to an $18 SLA with the same charge density. It's not a lithium ion, but a similar technology called lithium iron or "lifep04". It has a much longer life span than an SLA and weighs just 4.7lbs and is more stable than lithium ion...BUT! like the lithium ion it tends to fail badly. The SLAs can, technically, explode if kept in a gas tight enclosure, but I am more concerned with the Shorai going Chernobyl on me 2 miles offshore. Not trying to fear monger, but weigh your options!
  • AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 565 Officer
    Why doesn't anybody use the 12v rechargeable tool batteries?
    I have a ridgid set that came with a fairly useless flashlight, thought about repurposing it...?
    Have a 4Ah battery that is smaller than a closed fist.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper