"Chaz Adventure" 3/8/2016

Capt. Duane of Windspitter Charters an Uncle Billy of the famous Garage Bar( after a few beers), put together a two boat excursion to hit the fish of the wild Chaz area. I rode with Duane in Crusty the wonder skiff and Billy and Doc Stessor(Lee) shared Lee's Carolina Skiff.
We all ended up at the spring head around 9:30. After a small delay we were ready to roll.
These two finally got things together!!
0308161042b_zps8o8fmcr2.jpg
Duane led the way with Lee close behind. I think Lee only hit rocks once. Billy and Lee headed out to the grass flats and got into some nice trout. We headed to some oysters bars and got into a few reds, with this one going home with me for dinner.
0308161146b_zpsuwjzncxr.jpg
Things slowed down as the water movement got slack. We headed back across the bay toward some small creeks, we come around a bend and there's these two old guys trying to get a red in the boat!!
03081615462_zpszznlxeg5.jpg
Nice job Uncle Billy! You too Lee on the net!
0308161548_zpsb5us3zlo.jpg
Duane looks up and says "Lets go to my snook hole". It didn't take me long to say " get crusty moving". After a short high speed sled ride over oyster bars, we pull into an oasis of beauty that looks like there would be snook all over it. Duane picks up a rod with a rattle trap on and throw into a small lagoon and the water erupts!! Snook On!
0308161612_zpswq67x47m.jpg
This snook is all over the place. A snook battle in old crusty is quite an experience.
0308161612c_HDR_zpsi1zcbjua.jpg
0308161612a_HDR_zpsst3yevvx.jpg
Duane uses that Chaz finesse and this snook is caught! But, he swallowed the lure completely and there was no way this one would go back. The damage was to great. At 28 1/2 in. he was legal and will give up some delicious fillets.
0308161612c_zpsvgpnvpkf.jpg
Excellent adventure! Fishing the Chaz with Duane is always full of excitement! Thanks Duane and Uncle Billy for putting this trip together. Now, get back to the Garage Bar, drink many brews, and get another one of these trips planned.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,935 Captain
    Nice fellas. I really struggled to find the fish yesterday myself with the wind and huge high tide.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,706 Captain
    The winds and early real low tide put a hurting on Lee and I until I finally got the knack of running that iPilot remote of Lee's. I'm going to send the company an e-mail and let them how to redesign it to be more user friendly and more responsive.

After a couple slot trout, two lost over 20 with Lee having one to the boat in the plus 24 inch range (it got off at the boat), it was too big to keep anyway...least for us. Two more right at 20 and we had enough for a fish dinner.

Couple more spots for reds and a couple shorts and I told Lee let's head to red creek before the tide leaves it. Two more lost big trouts, a couple rat reds, and then I caught the one at 22 (in the picture) which made enough fish for Doc and I to take home for dinner. The two amigos joined us back in the creek and Duane catches two reds back to back. We could have caught more but the bugs came out in full force and we needed water to get out of there and it was escaping fast.

I thought Tom and Duane were going back in but no, they went to the snook hole, and Duane obviously hooked up. We were back at the ramp by then.

Making this an official fish report all our fish, but one, were caught on hard and soft jerk baits. The fish were where they are suppose to be but the real low tide coupled with a real high tide, plus the wind, made it work at times.

Great outing with three good guys, I had fun even fishing with Lee :), yes we'll have to do this again soon.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,485 Captain
    That was a fun trip. I haven't had much experience fishing those little creeks, so I learned a lot.

Lesson #1: Fishing with Billy adds about 4" to the draft of a J16. I lost 2" of my skeg on the way down the river following Duane. But getting it fixed will cost less than the gas I would have burned running offshore with the Grady.

Lesson #2: Don't forget the bug spray. I was coughing up gnats all night. They showed up in force when the wind quit for a few minutes and I inhaled a bunch before I could get the buff up over my nose and mouth.

Lesson #3: Billy is actually a nice guy when he's not around a lot of other people. ;)
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,002 Moderator
    Looks like it was "the attack of the yahoos" at Chaz :grin You guys are having too much fun.

I need to clear up my busy social calendar and get out to the salty stuff soon. :cool:
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,967 Captain
    Clear up your social calendar and lets have a get together. Notice, I didn't call it a bash, just a gathering! Soon!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ruff One wrote: »
    Clear up your social calendar and lets have a get together. Notice, I didn't call it a bash, just a gathering! Soon!

Well , there is that option ..
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,706 Captain
    That was a fun trip.

Lesson #3: Billy is actually a nice guy when he's not around a lot of other people. ;)

Ah, you do have a heart, often I wonder. :) And I do add to the draft.

It was a fun trip and we will do it again.

The back country creeks are a different animal, as some know, and as such one has to pay attention to tides and know where the fish are feeding. But don't forget the bug spray if you're sensitive, to bugs, which I "ain't." And I'm sorry about the skeg loss but I told Lee to stay in Duane's wake. :blowkiss

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 615 Officer
    I had a great time with some great guys. Awesome report and photos Tom. The wind was a bit much (even for a wonder skiff) so Tom and I couldn't go everywhere we would have, but I think we did okay. I caught most of my fish on the Gold Rat-l-trap. :)
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    I can't wait to get moved over there so I can start these backwater lessons.
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    That looked like a fun trip. I can just imagine the water level there with these low tides we've been seeing.
  • winshimawinshima Posts: 122 Deckhand
    Looked like a Nice Trip!
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Awesome pics and fish fellas
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 930 Officer
    Sounds like good times! Love the action shots of the snook!
  • floridafanfloridafan Posts: 65 Deckhand
    Sounds like good times! Love the action shots of the snook!

Can an 18' Carolina Skiff with a 90 on it get in at the ramp at Chazz. I have not had the courage or confidence to give it a try yet.
    Sure. But you need to pay attention to the tides. The low tide at the ramp is more than 2 hr after the low at John's Island. If you have a minus tide day or a winter high pressure system, there can be little water in the upper river. On normal summer tides you should be fine.

it's best to follow someone who knows the river the first time you go out and get a GPS track.

Getting back into the creeks and islands is the real challenge when fishing that area. At least the water is often clear enough to see what you are about to hit. ;)
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,828 Captain
    Yuze Gize Rock! When I grow up I wanna be just like one of the Chaz Gang! Someday someone will take Old Spanker up yonder creekz! Hint>Hint?
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
    Yuze Gize Rock! When I grow up I wanna be just like one of the Chaz Gang! Someday someone will take Old Spanker up yonder creekz! Hint>Hint?

And ...
    Lesson #1: Fishing with Billy adds about 4" to the draft of a J16. I lost 2" of my skeg on the way down the river following Duane.
    I'd have to figure about 6" for Spanker. :grin:grin:grin:grin:grin
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,935 Captain
    I was glad my rig had a tunnel when me, Duane, and Billy ran the Chaz. I let him drive.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 962 Officer
    looks like u guys had fun
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,254 Officer
    Fun times, and productive with even Billy catching some. This report and the finally warm enough water is making me anxious to get out there. Have company for Bike Week, but next week I'm going.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Looks like a fun trip for sure
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead